Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Il Palio (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/il-palio-66240/)

Robespierre Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

I think Richard can be forgiven for making an onyx mistake.

richardab Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Oh yes, I did get the onyx ring, right in the back of the head. That was better than what my sister got, she got the wooden spoon.

I have no issue with a parent giving the kid a good one now and then as long as it doesn't bruise or leave a mark.

nytraveler Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Kibawe -

You have taken that remark out of context. it was aimed at a comment that its up to the passenger being kicked to stop the misbehaving child from kicking their seat.

My point is that I'm not in charge of disciplining others' children. And if the parents are either unwilling or incapable of doing so its not my job to be pleasant and nicely convince the child to behave. If parents (through their negligence or laziness) insist on leaving their children to the mercies of others - they cannot complain about what they get. And I would never touch a child - it's completely counterproductive - but saying something truly unpleasant can sometimes shock the child out of misbehavior.

But really, the answer is simple - teach children to behave. But if you let them run wild at home - you'll get the same thing in public. And really you can;t expect others to be as tolerant as you are. (And I know all parents love their children and think thye're angels - but in my experience those that seriously misbehave in public are even more ghastly at home.)

ira Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

>...I can't imagine anyone so particular they couldn't find something to enjoy from the large selection of movies, etc.<

Try imagining me.

Jocelyn_P Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

I'm with you on this, Monica. I have a hard time believing that ANY emotionally healthy three year old, no matter how well-behaved they normally are, would be a perfect angel every minute of a new, scary, boring, and exhausting situation.

I travel with my kids (domestically) often. On one flight there was no one in the row ahead of us, so I allowed my almost 2 year old to put the tray table up and down, up and down, up and down. It was a quiet activity that kept him busy for a long time. What a mistake that was! Now he always thinks it's okay, and I'm trying to de-program him without causing a huge scene each time. Taking a small child on an airplane is no fun for the parent, either, believe me.

KT Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

"Customs forms??? To which country?"

Well, one exotic country comes immediately to mind: the US.

MonicaRichards Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Spottiew: I figure I am raising my kids to take part in this world and that means that they are going to interact with others. I won't intervene unless my child needs protecting, and if she's in the wrong and someone calls her on it that's natural consequences in my opinion. Now, when a waitress shoved her out of a restaurant we were considering eating at in San Gimiagnano, that made me mad (and needless to say, we didn't eat there).

MonicaRichards Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Are you saying that I forgot to bring discipline for my kids? Because if you read what I wrote that's not what I said. I'm sorry, no matter what LoveItaly says, there is no way you can take a 3.5 year old, wake them up at 5am, fly a two hour flight and then a 10.5 hour flight (which turned into a 12 hour flight due to a medical emergency on board) and have them "yes, maam, no maam" the whole time. The question is, how far can a parent go on a flight? I can't hit her (plus that would make the noise issue worse), she knows I can't put her in a timeout, at that age threats don't work very well because they've forgotten the consequence by the time you've administered it. Mostly I just thought it was funny the idea that there was ANYTHING that could keep a young child entertained for that long of a flight. If there was a toy that cool, I'd be the first in line to get it.

margyb Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

I was under the impression that knitting needles weren't allowed due to security concerns?

SUNSHINE1223 Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

I travel all the time with my knitting. Helps with the flight coming home to pass the time.

You are so correct about your list!! Forget about some other cranky people.

crepes_a_go_go Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

RufusTFirefly wrote:
"Knitting needles are OK. So are nail clippers and nail files.
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...2003.pdf"

Yes all, this list says one thing and then it seems the security personnel make up their own list. Each trip, confiscated by security have been my eyebrow tweezers, cuticle nippers and nail file. I do not check any luggage so these things are always in my carry-on. I always check the list in advance, always try to get them thru, only to have them confiscated. Now, denying knitting needles, I can understand, but eyebrow tweezers? We laugh at the potential news headline "Pilot Stabbed to Death with Passenger's Eyebrow Tweezers"!

ReddVelvet Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Knitting needles are NOT OK!! Just got back from Paris on British Airways . Pulled out my knitting only to be pounced upon and threatened to have my knitting confiscated. In fact I was so ticked that I called for the head person in charge. He said he would ask the pilot and then came back saying no way and if I didn't put it away he was supposed to take it. I asked why not confiscate pens too cause they could be used to stab someone too. He agreed but re iterated that knitting needles were not allowed. I believe and support security like the next person but it may be getting a little out of hand.

dutyfree Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Geez Everyone-chill out!!! This thread has turned into a nasty "like kids vs hate kids traveling' thread and it was only meant to have some BASICS on you when you travel(particularly in economy class).I only started it because so many people still think that the airlines are offering many ammenities in the economy section(which are long gone) and I wanted to let people know that certain things would make their travel life easier if they had "it" in their carryon.Could we all go back to the days when I originally started on Fodors that the concept was a board that you could share ideas and thoughts that would help you in your travels? One last thought-last week on a flight a man in business class was a pain the entire flight. Upon landing, the man who was seated across from him whispered in my ear something very poignant:"The things that people fight about define their true personality!"

dutyfree Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Il Palio

I would rather not say....a woman has to have a few secrets,right?

hobbes Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Love number one about carrying pens - can I add use the time on the flight to fill in your form, then check and double check it so you are not holding up a full immigration line when the officer tells you to sign it or fill in your flight number!

Philip Quirk Mar 22nd, 2000 09:20 PM

We're traveling to Italy this summer with three children (ages6,8,and 16).We're looking for kid-friendly activities- considering Il Palio in Siena(July2) and amusement parks (Gardaland). Has anyone experienced these or have other suggestions?

sheri Mar 23rd, 2000 06:37 AM

Hi Philip, I've been to the Palio and while it is a wonderful spectacle, I'm not sure how good an experience it would be for young children. <BR> <BR>If you don't spend the big bucks on seats, then you will need to stand in the middle of the Campo with the rest of the huge crowds, out in the sun for hours and, once the gates are closed, with no access to bathrooms or food and water (so bring these with you). <BR> <BR>If you are going to be around Siena a few days earlier (can't remember how many days exactly but hopefully someone will chime in), go to the choosing of the horses. It's nearly as much pageantry, but not as crowded.

Kathleen Mar 24th, 2000 07:01 AM

I concur on taking children to the Palio without tickets for outside the track. However, several trials (at least 3) are run in the days leading up to the main event and it is just as exciting, with much fewer people. I got the schedule last year on the web. Do searches on Palio and be persistent. The schedule may be in Italian but you can figure it out. Also be aware that the day of the Palio is a great day to visit other sites in the area while everyone is suffed into the Campo.