Il Capo di Tutti Capi Slept here--Mafia farms transformed to hotels

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/07/04...tml?ref=travel
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Presumably you don't get to sleep with the fishes.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM

eks

I get the feeling that a lot of this is superficial show. I cannot see how you can just cut out a social cancer that has throttled an island for so long.

We visited Sicily in October and it was by a long way the worst place we have ever had the misfortune to encounter. I know many around these parts disagree and maybe have a pair of Hollywood tinted spectacles.

We have travelled around most of Italy, other than the area South of Naples. Sicily proves a case in point of what happens when the social control mechanisms break down. I have never seen such poorly structured development in Europe and there was an edge to a lot of the contact we had with the locals.

I get the feeling that the Mafia realise that high profile killings in the 21st century Eurozone just wasn't going to be tolerated by Berlusconi/Brussels. They probably found that defrauding Brussels (like the rest of Europe) is far more profitable and less dangerous than drugs/prostitution/petty protection rackets.

ps Did you make it to Mallorca? - have a good time? We are going in 10 days.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Yes, the Mafia has long controlled *both* the rackets *and* illegal development.

No, it is not true that it is superficial show. In the past few years, many top Mafiosi have been arrested and imprisoned.

In several trips to Sicily, I've rarely encountered "edge" in my contacts with locals. But I also didn't approach them as if I suspected them of being actual or incipient Mafiosi.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Markrosy: We decided to shelve the Mallorca trip until, possibly, next spring.

My next jaunt will be Puglia, in September (unfortunatly have only one week) to be followed (no fixed date) by, in no particular order, Sardinia and Campania (Cilento). The Sardinia idea is due to your enticing comments; from what I read, we share similar tastes in travel....

I've been twice to Sicily and the first time was so long ago that the details are rather lost in the mists. On the second trip I was robbed at knifepoint in the lobby of my Palermo hotel within 30 minutes of arriving in the country. We did have some excitement careening around with the policemen, who were determined to give us a private "city tour" after my travails, but the week did get off to a rather poor start. We did end up enjoying, but I agree in full with the sad results of the uncontrolled development, particular along the coasts. The trip was only 7 days so not nearly long enough to form any true impressions, but suffice to say that I am not planning a return anytime soon, although I would like to visit a few of the islands off the coast...
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

..MR: I forgot the most important comment: Have a wonderful time in Mallorca and please check in with your comments and details after you return..
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:18 PM
TCC

My father was born in Sicily and immigrated to the U.S. when he was 13. I am proud of my Sicilian heritage and my ancestral birthplace.

We have traveled to many parts of Sicily in our 3 trips to this wonderful island.We have never experienced anything but sincere kindness and warmth from the people we’ve met.
Many of the Sicilians we have encountered have a certain
“ Joie de vivre” that is infectious.
However, Sicilians in general are very perceptive.
They have a real knack for perceiving distrust, insincerity, and condescending intent.
Perhaps, that was Marosky's problem and why he thought that, “there was an edge to a lot of the contact we had with the locals”
As far as the “Hollywood tinted spectacles”, Marosky seems to wearing them with his Americanized Mafia paranoia.

Sicily is a beautiful place, full of History, wonderful ,vibrant cities, great beaches,
fantastic food and wine, great people and traditions.
Like any other place she has her problems, but her beauty and attraction can not be denied