Reload this Page >

If you've ever been to Barcelona-please respond

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 1999, 06:40 AM
Josh

I'm truly a first timer visiting Barcelona. I've seen great pictures taken on La Rambla showing things like "mimes" "flower vendors" etc. but when I look on a map it shows La Rambla as 5 different streets..just where are these things I've seen pictures of and where is what they consider the "seedy part of La Rambla". (cross streets would be very helpful) I'm trying to chose a hotel location for my honeymoon on a budet and want La Rambla. Thank you!

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Brian in Atlanta

My spelling won't be exact, but ... <BR> <BR>My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in the area you describe. I think it's spelled, "Las Ramblas" and the pedestrian-only part that you are referring to is between Placa del Catalyuna (or something like that - there's a metro stop there) and the harbor. It gets seedier as you get closer to the harbor, but we never felt unsafe anywhere even late at night. <BR> <BR>Consider staying just off Las Ramblas as it can be quite noisy. <BR> <BR>Any hotel that says that it is in the Latin or Gothic Quarter should be very close by. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, we did!

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:20 AM
Brian in Atlanta

My spelling won't be exact, but ... <BR> <BR>My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in the area you describe. I think it's spelled, "Las Ramblas" and the pedestrian-only part that you are referring to is between Placa del Catalyuna (or something like that - there's a metro stop there) and the harbor. It gets seedier as you get closer to the harbor, but we never felt unsafe anywhere even late at night. <BR> <BR>Consider staying just off Las Ramblas as it can be quite noisy. <BR> <BR>Any hotel that says that it is in the Latin or Gothic Quarter should be very close by. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, we did!

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:31 AM
anne

We have been to Spain Twice in the last four years and have found the NH-Hoteles chain to be perfect .Check out the web site. <BR>www.nh-hoteles.es Good luck.

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:32 AM
anne

We have been to Spain Twice in the last four years and have found the NH-Hoteles chain to be perfect .Check out the web site. <BR>www.nh-hoteles.es Good luck.

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:33 AM
anne

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:56 AM
michele

We went to Barcelona last April and loved it. <BR>It is a treasure trove of musuems and a <BR>a good walking city. <BR> <BR>Las Ramblas is noisy. We stayed at the Gran Via, which is walking distance to both the Gothic Barrio and Las Ramblas. It was under $100 and it is listed in Fodor's. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>

Old May 14th, 1999, 09:50 AM
michele

Forgot to add: do a text search for Barcelona. There is a lot of excellent information on this forum including where to buy an all (almost) inclusive <BR>museum/Gaudi ticket.

Old May 15th, 1999, 04:16 PM
Ulla

As you stand at the "top" of Las Ramblas, that is at the Placa Catalunya looking down Las Ramblas facing the harbor, the area on the right is the seedier area, several blocks in there in fact are the red light district. There is a decent hotel right near the cathedral, Colon I think it's called. I would agree with other postings, though, that the nicer places to stay are going in the other direction from the Placa de Catalunya (that is with Las Ramblas at your back) going up the Paseo de la gracia (Passeig de graca, I think it is now that the streets all have their catalan names). The metro in Barcelona is great, so you are always going to be close to everything. And the nice thing about the area away from Las Ramblas is that all the modernist architecture is there, it's really something. <BR>

Old May 20th, 1999, 05:39 AM
merriem

We were in Barcelona in April and just loved it. It is a delightful city, clean, and safe. You hear negative things, but we had nothing but a great experience. Stayed at the Claris hotel, walking distance to everything. Spend a little extra on a nice hotel in a good area. Have a great trip. It is now our favorite city.

Old May 20th, 1999, 08:23 AM
vincent

Las Ramblas might be fun, but it's overly touristy and noisy, and a great playground for pickpockets. So I wouldn't advise to stay in this neighborhood. Rather go a little bit north of Plaça de Catalunya. I too am a big fan of the NH chain : old buildings tastefully renovated in nice Spanish designer furniture. My favorite one in Barcelona is the Balmes, although the Calderon might be closer to the animation.

Old May 20th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Thomas Nastos

We love Barcelona and walk all over the city, yes all over. Correct that the Las Ramblas from Placa Catalunya towards the river is a bit seedy altho there are some decent places there. North towards Diagonal is much nicer and more flavorful spanishwise. The outdoor cafes there are a joy and you can sit with the spaniards and have a Jerez. Northward on Passeig de Gracia is also very nice and fashionable. We stayed at the Hotel Gran via (on Gran Via) and loved it, but you must search out the best room facing the street. A nice secret. But beware of the scam whereby someone sprays your back and then asks to help you. This usually happens near the Placa C. First take a tour and then go on your own and walk walk walk. Sunday would be nice to watch the Sardana dancing by the Cathedral. Have a grand trip. You'll be back.

Old May 26th, 1999, 12:58 AM
arline

In our travel to Barcelona last month, we were almost victims, I believe, of the very scam the above writer just mentioned! This was our first time to be "victimized" despite multiple trips to Europe. As we were walking up a hill toward the Gaudi Guell (sp.?) Park, we were passing several small apt. bldgs. I was behind my husband about 10' and suddenly saw an arm swing out from a doorway and something fly out towards my husb. I ran up and saw gobs of thick, brown "goo" splattered all over his back! I leaned in toward the doorway and saw a man standing there. In my moderate Spanish I excitedly asked him why he did this!! He gestured for us to come with him down the stairs and he would clean him up, explaining, if I understood correctly, that it was bird droppings (!!!??). My somewhat naive husb. was ready to go but I knew better and said "No way!!" There was a filled trash can nearby with, fortunately, a discarded drape that I used to wipe off most of the mess. A kind Spanish woman walked over and handed me a couple of moist handiwipes, too. I'll never know what that "goo" was and will always wonder but just glad that we weren't hurt in any way.

Old May 26th, 1999, 05:16 AM
henry

Josh,My wife and I visited Barcelona 2 yrs.ago.We stayed at Royal Hotel on the Ramblas,near Placa C.We loved it no problem with noise and felt comfortable walking through the Ramblas and Gothic quarter.I would not hesitate returning to this hotel.Of course, as in any big city tourists must be careful.Have a great trip.

Old May 28th, 1999, 06:01 AM
cassandra

Well, it's a couple of weeks later -- hope you're still reading, Josh. <BR> <BR>Just got back from Barcelona -- favorite city of the whole trip. BUT: Stay AWAY from the 3-part Ramblas (one long street, named differently between different plazas/points). A British vice consul said he spends 90% of his time dealing with Brits who were victimized one way or the other on the Ramblas -- he said that only tourists go there (so it's like shooting in a barrel for thieves) and that any of the streets on either side of the Ramblas are actually safer than the Rambla itself. We met 2 Americans in one day who'd been ripped off one way of the other. <BR> <BR>Staying north of Catalunya is ideal -- the metro is wonderfully convenient. The Gran Via or the Claris are good, but you could risk staying south of Catalunya IF you stay east of the Rambla. <BR> <BR>Don't miss the Miro Foundation, the Park Guell and the Palau de Musica. Eat at the Cafe de l'Academia. Bon Voyage!