If your next trip was your last

Old Jun 1st, 2020, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your next trip was your last

If you were only to have one last trip to France where would you visit. For me it would be Australian Remembrance Trail, and to see the caves in Naours where some ANZACS wrote on the walls of the caves.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 01:24 AM

I'd be perfectly happy right where I am, but if travel were involved, I'd probably go back to Bayonne. Or maybe someplace high in the Pyrenées. I'm pretty intrigued by the Basques and the Cathars.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real question as things are going now is, "What if your last trip was your last?"
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
The real question as things are going now is, "What if your last trip was your last?"
I was thinking the same thing Peabody.

I am so glad I made the effort in November and paid to stow our bags in a Paris hotel before our afternoon flight so my father could enjoy one last Sunday crepe lunch in Montparnasse. He is 75 and wonders if he will ever get back to Europe. It makes me really sad to hear him recount adventures of our 15 years of annual European travel with a sigh, a depressed "those were the days" and a "I wish we would have done that".

Our 2019 trip was for a month and we always spend some time in Barcelona (this time it was during the Catalan independence riots) then we spent 2 1/2 weeks driving around Sicily and then to Paris, where we always end our Father/Daughter fling.

It's usually around Fathers Day that we start making plans. He is having a really hard time emotionally with the virus and feels like he doesn't have anything to look forward to anymore. It crushes my heart.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 08:28 AM

Fortunately I have more interesting places to visit, than France. I had not made any plans for this year beyond the month-long trip to Mexico which finished up in early February, but on the list were Arizona, Alaska, Mexico and perhaps Bali.

The virus gives me a great excuse to never return to France.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris, always Paris!

And maybe add a few days by train to a part of France I have not visited.

People ask us why we go to Paris so often and the standard answer is always....because of the way we feel when we are there.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 11:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would return to the French Pays Basque villages in the foothills of the Pyreenes. And then later I would cross the border to Spain to the Paris Vasco.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Fortunately I have more interesting places to visit, than France. I had not made any plans for this year beyond the month-long trip to Mexico which finished up in early February, but on the list were Arizona, Alaska, Mexico and perhaps Bali.

The virus gives me a great excuse to never return to France.
Given all your trip reports, none of which include France (or at least I missed it), and most if not all of them exclude Europe, why the francophobia?
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 03:55 PM

I would take a month and spend a week in Paris, a week in Provence, a week on the Cote d'Azur, and the last week somewhere else, not really sure. I went to Paris in October for my first solo trip. I loved it so much, and I will always have those memories. I hope it was not my last trip to France, but who knows? One thing this pandemic has taught me is that you never know what the future will bring.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Given all your trip reports, none of which include France (or at least I missed it), and most if not all of them exclude Europe, why the francophobia?
I am not afraid aka "phobia". I just have no interest in visiting there again, dealing with the French and the tourist hordes coming in on Easy Jet and RyanAir. I've already visited a ton of museums, cathedrals, chateaux, wine regions, blah blah blah. Even one of the real caves in Dordogne (mammouth, mammouth, bison, bison, mamouth). Been there, done that. The "culture" now is not any more interesting than what one finds around the world, which is a big place. If forced to visit Europe, France would be pretty far down the list. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, etc. would be more interesting but still suffer from the same overcrowding problems (I guess not right now, though). I don't even particularly care for French food, either. And it takes too long to get to Europe from the west coast. For the same amount of airtime I could be in Asia or South America.

I probabably visited Europe too often in the '80s and '90s. My sister and a number of friends lived in Britain so it worked out to use London as a starting point. Later I started visiting New Zealand every year or two (when air fares dropped following Lockerbie), followed by Peru and other countries in South America and a few other random places like Indonesia and South Africa.

I last went to France in 2018 (to spend 10 incredibly boring days near Toulouse). Since it was a private home, it would have had little relevance to anyone. I did enjoy the added time in Lisbon.

I'm not really doing lengthy Fodor's trip reports aka free content anymore (since IB took over), but I do reply to posts, and post a handful of photos now and then. There is really no shortage of trip reports on Europe, is there?

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 4th, 2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 06:48 PM

Since this question clearly asks about France, I would happily go to Paris one more time.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by suze View Post
Since this question clearly asks about France, I would happily go to Paris one more time.
But you won't, will you?
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 09:40 PM

I don't get the curmudgeonly attitude... maybe it's a Covid thing.

In France, I'd like to explore the western coast. But there are so many other places/countries that are appealing that the next destination is hard to pick. I do know that in the immediate post-Covid era I'm less interested in big cities, museums, places with lots of people, and more interested in small towns, back roads, beautiful scenery, etc. Preferably direct flights.