Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you were traveling to Venice in February, would you venture out to the islands?

Search

If you were traveling to Venice in February, would you venture out to the islands?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I are putting together a rough list of must-see's during our stay during the first week of February...
Doge's Palace & the Secret Itinerary tour
Peggy Guggenheim
The Basilica

We have a good time period; five nights, four and a half days. This is the last leg of our journey, so I don't want to plan too much, a couple things a day perhaps so we have lots of wander time, does that sound right to you?

Anyway, this all leads up to my question, would you pencil in a trip out to the lagoon islands, is it too chilly across the water during this time of year?

I would appreciate any input you would care to give on the islands, or your other favorite must-see's.

Best wishes, Tiff
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Fairhope

We went in terrible rain in Nov! The boat was covered so that was no problem. If its walking weather do it!

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM

Yes...it's a beautiful ride to Murano, Burano or Torcello...I love taking the public transportation. I find it very relaxing to glide across the lagoon & daydream!!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM

My answer would be, it depends.
I would only do it in good weather, so if you find you have such a day in the middle of your trip, then you could spontaneously go.
I would only do this on one day, so pick your islands. Torcello is lovely in a deserted, largely-uninhabited kind of way, and the cathedral there is quite a sight, but other than that and having lunch there's not much to do, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Burano is 10 minutes from Torcello, so if you're going to one you can go to the other.
Murano is only about 15 minutes from the main part of Venice. If you want to visit the glass factories and the Museum of Glass you can do that, there are also a couple of churches, but otherwise I don't think it's an intrinsically beautiful place.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. If Fairhope can manage in rain, then I think we'll go for it, hee. You're an inspriation FH.

Bailey ~ you made it sound so peaceful! And BTW, your comment about having a map of Venice tattoo on your forearm on the 'Venice in November' thread made me laugh out loud!

gramercy ~ After reading your response, I now feel compelled to ask you, "which one was your favorite???"

I meant to add the Accademia to my list in my original post...

Looking forward to it even though we may freeze. It was either go then or not at all. Easy decision when framed that way, huh?!?

Tiff
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM

Torcello is my favorite, it's like no other part of Venice (but it is where Venice started, centuries ago). But I haven't been there in February, and it would appeal to me less then. The vaporetto boat ride is about 80 minutes from Venice.

I've not spent any time in Burano, but it looks pretty and charming from the boat landing.
I go to Murano a lot, but I fancy myself a serious glass shopper and I have found a factory I like. But there is plenty of glass to be bought in Venice proper, and on a short trip I will easily skip Murano.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

80 minutes, that is alot if the weather was windy...

Would a water taxi get you there any quicker do you think? I know it would be more expensive, but we tend to splurge if it is worth it.

Grazie! Tiff
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:34 PM

yes, a water taxi would I think take perhaps half the time (guessing)
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shalott!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM

Depending on your interests, 4-1/2 days might not give you enough time to visit any of the islands. There's a lot to see and do in the main part of historical Venice. But I wouldn't mind venturing out in February as long as the weather was OK.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:31 PM

If the weather's bad, and you want to go anyway, you'll probably be better off in a more substantial sized vaporetto than in a tiny little water taxi. Most of the vaporetto is fully enclosed, with seats, it's not like it's just covered with a tarp or something. And I would catch the boat at the Fondamenta Nuove stop rather than near San Marco. It's a great walk to the Fondamenta from anywhere, and you'll see parts of Venice that you might not otherwise see.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM

I just got back from Venice and it was kind of chilly but not bad on the water. We even had the cover down, but the sun was shining so it made it a bit warmer. I think you would be okay to visit the islands.... just take a jacket and scarf in case it's cold. Gloves too.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Rufus, Holly, Kimberly ~ Thank you for your additional comments. Kimberly, I hope you had a great trip to Venice and it was good to hear the vaporetto is enclosed, I was not aware of that. This week I have been selecting 'outerwear' as our weather in MN right now is about (I am guessing by weather reports etc.) what to expect for temps in Venice (we had Florence temps a couple weeks ago, ha.) Thanks for the advice to dress warm!

I appreciate your input, Tiff

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM

Dear Tiff,

Torcello is one of my favorite memories from our three trips to Venice. There are two beautiful churches - a 600's basilica with wonderful mosaics and a greek cross plan church of Santa Fosca. The basilica has a beautiful blue Madonna in the apse on a gold mosaic background, and on the opposite wall an intricate mosaic of the Last Judgement. Definately make the effort to climb the bell tower at the basilica. The view of the surrounding lagoon is spectacular and very serene - a pastoral contrast to the view from the Campanile in San Marco.

The walk from the vaporetto stop to the basilica is fairly short, along a canal. At first, it seems very deserted and you can't really see the churches.

One mistake we made - we were hungry and stopped at the first open restaurant on the left side of the canal. Had the worse sea food risotto I've ever tasted. I wish we would have reserved a table at the Locanda Cipriani restaurant. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the place to avoid, but it was one of the closer ones to the vaporetto stop.

Agree with the advice to start at the Fondamenta Nuove. When you're there, consider stopping at the Jesuit church. The inside is a sight to be seen! (Maybe even over the top The altars have huge brocaded curtains, that are actually made from white marble, inlayed with green. It's just a hop away from the vaporetto stop.

Best wishes, SusanEva
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Can't thank you enough SusanEva, for taking the time to post such a wonderful ideas. It was as if I could almost already see the mosaics your words were so descriptive!
Thanks also for the tip to stay away from the restaurant by the vaporetto stop, more often than not the tips to stay away are as vital as the tips to dine at a particular establishment.

Thank you again, best wishes, Tiff
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM

I am another person who loves Torcello and its two churches.

The trattoria on the canal on the way to Torcello has, in fact, gone down very badly since I had an excellent meal there in the early 90s. But to my mind, the Locanda Cipriani is grossly overpriced for what it offers, particularly if you cannot sit in the lovely garden.

My suggestion is to go to Torcello in the morning and return to Burano (you have to change vaporetti at Burano anyway, and it's only about 5 minutes from Torcello) in time for lunch. You can have a wonderful risotto alla crema di scampi (risotto in a cream-of-shrimp sauce) at Da Romolo. There are dozens of restaurants on the same street, but Da Romolo is the only one that maintains high standards of quality. The rest are "menu turistico" places that I would urge you to avoid.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks Tiff, for your kind words. I'm sure Eloise is right about lunching at Burano, as we didn't eat at the Locanda. I had been advised that it was the best place but hadn't bothered with reservations.

Best photo ops in Venice - top of Campanile, especially early morning or late evening; on the island near San Giorgio Maggiore, taking a photo from it's bell tower across the lagoon of the Doges Palace; standing near the vaporetto stop at Piazza San Marco at the Molo, looking across to San Giorgio Maggiore through the gondola docks; top of Accademia bridge, looking toward la Salute; top floor of the Ca' Contarini del Bovolo (snail tower); on the Riva delgi Schiavoni, looking east to la Salute in the evening when the setting sun turns the while marble church shades of soft pink or gold.

The Accademia was a good visit, but I liked the art in the buildings as originally designed. My two favorites (right near each other: the Titians in the Basilica dei Frari and the Tintoretto works at Scuola Grande di San Rocco.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Eloise and SusanEva, you are the best! I have cut and paste every word.

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM

Call me a morbid nutcase, but I find the cemetery island S. Michele very moving.
It's also the closest island to Venice proper, and the only one I'd leave it for in winter.