Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you were an artist in Tuscany, what would you paint?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an artist visiting Southern Tuscany in October. I work primarily in watercolor and plan on bringing camera, sketch books, and some paints and paper, though I'll do most of my painting when I return home. After a trip to Provence last fall, I returned and completed watercolors of poppy fields, Roussillon, and Bonnieux.

Some of you may remember that I asked this question for previous trips to Italy and France. Both times that I asked this question, I got fascinating answers. I actually saw things that I think I wouldn't have noticed without your help. Someone mentioned umbrellas in their stands outside cafes. Someone else talked about the campaniles, the metal bell towers of the churches of Provence. Others mentioned the wonderful doors and window , and I'm currently in the middle of a colored pencil drawing from several doors of Provence.

As an artist, I have always thought that I am observant, but I've come to realize that, in a foreign country, in particular, I miss all sorts of things. If I'm in the car, I'm navigating, and don't know where there might wonderful vistas. Or there might be a wonderful village I miss while I'm looking at that map (we are taking a GPS this time!). There might be some architectural details that are specific to an area.
So, I thought I'd ask those of you who know Tuscany so well- what would you paint if you were an artist?
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM

My wife is the watercolorist and I am the photographer.

I always shoot what other people aren't. And if I do shoot the same, I must find a different perspective.

If you need someone to tell you what to paint, then you need to gain confidence in your own judgment. Unless your sole intention is to sell your work and want to poll what others like.

An artist can make the mundane interesting. The hardest thing in art is to combine beauty and strength or beauty and intellect. They are opposites and if you can achieve that, you approach a universal. The issue is not the object but how you approach the object.

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Aduchamp,

You're absolutely correct that an artistic vision and talent can make the mundane beautiful. Every artist seeks to make their work contemporary or, at least, unusual. In my case, my question had nothing to do with selling my works, nor with finding ways to make a beautiful picture. I am perfectly confident in my abilites- I've been painting for almost 30 years and I teach as well. I am merely looking for cultural suggestions from those who know an area of the world that I am less familiar with.

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Dear Justretired (Hi there dear friend)
You will love the broad visitas and the tiniest of pebbles.
The autumn light is gorgeous...and the colors spectacular.
Last November when I was in Tuscany I just snapped away....the camera is so immediate. I spent time soaking it all in...looking at views as a study in color and compostion.
If you are lucky you'll experience a glorious thunderstorm....ahhh the smell of damp earth.

I can't wait to see your results!!

For some images..check out my November and December postings....
http://baileyzimmerman.blogspot.com
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:17 AM

What would I paint if I were an artist ?
Oh, I am not an artist, but I like to game this play about Southern Tuscany, becasue I know this area almost very well !
Several suggestions:
a) the archeological etrusco site of Rosello, not far from Grosseto; the time stopped and you miss the clock and you will live with Etrusco people until you want and can;
b) the Mountains of Uccellina and their way to stroke the Ombrone river;
c) Talamone, a very beautiful town of Maremma, along the coast, whose sweetness is unforgettable.
You're lucky to be an artist because you can see what I cannot see.

Vincenzo
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:44 AM

I too have done a series of watercolors of Provence and Tuscany (Umbria and the Cinque Terre too).

As an architect, I'm naturally inclined towards that subject matter but I try to steer clear of the stereotypical and the well-known and documented. My viewpoints are unique I like to believe.

I'm in sync with Aduchamp's remarks although I do think that the object has to have intrinsic interest beyond just being "mundane".

I'll offer one specific suggestion: I found the Abbey of Sant'Antimo to offer a number of opportunities including looking at it both from and towards the nearby village of Castelnuovo dell'Abate.

I would say that the same goes for other locales - take a hike out into the fields and beyond the walls. Find an appropriate foreground for a distant point of interest.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I would paint the interiors of every gelato shop I visited (and there would be quite a few).
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM

The Val d'Orcia and the garden at La Foce are exquisite. Here's one of my favorites from there: http://www.jmstudio.fotopic.net/p27867430.html

Vicchiomaggio is near Greve in Chianti, also a most beautiful spot. Here's one from there: http://jmstudio.fotopic.net/p27867424.html And another: http://jmstudio.fotopic.net/p27867425.html
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM

"justretired" I do hope you share some of your work! I'd love to see it... email if you like?
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM

The landscapes as seen from elevated places like Fiesole - because of the light. That hue, hard to describe (for me), easy to see, even on paintings from ages ago. Still the same.