Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you want a reasonably priced holiday in Slovenia you had better go now.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this and book very soon because the prices are about to go up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5086564.stm

Muck

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:40 AM

I'm hoping to get there before Jan 1. If so, would I avoid the inflation, or is it already happening?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM
rex

You can be sure it is already happening.

I was not expecting to read the description, &quot;the tiny <i><b>Alpine</b></i> republic&quot;, referring to Slovenia. I guess it is, but it took me by surprise. I am still looking for an autumn destination - - I think I can't see an opening in our calendar until maybe immediately after Thanksgiving (Nov 23-30, for example) - - and so, I decided to look at weatherbase.com for some basic climate data about Slovenia.

Boy was I surprised! Sounds like December is closer to wintery than autumnal; I thought it would be more like Italy.

Those who have been there (oddly, this includes me, but it was one day out of a 40-day summer in Europe, and it was in 1969 - - I just don't remember!) - - is &quot;Alpine&quot; the word you would use? Does this account for mean temperatures (even highs) in the mid-to-upper 30's in December? (about the same as Switzerland or austria, I guess).

I think I'll keep looking for another Thanksgiving destination idea.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Just been through some of the wonderful countryside ,driving to Ljubljana.Fantastic city, but didnt find hotel accomodation cheap.
Good weekend destination - relaxing. Maybe a bit like Prague was 10 years ago?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Where did you stay? It seems like budget accomodations are quite sparse and not all that cheap.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:46 AM

We stayed at the City Hotel -a 3* hotel very central for sightseeing and with a car park nearby.
I think it cost us 80euros for the night. The place was a bit of an upheaval as they were renovating it,but we had a nice room-clean and comfortable.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Istria, whoose northern part belongs to Slovenia is what you might consider southern (=warmer in winter). Mountain republic is a description that fits. (For the weather as well). But the old (austro-hungarian) buildings, the great food (fruits in summer) and the still reasonable prices make it a great destination. Postojna and Bled are places that shouldn't be missed.

During the war there were pictures on TV showing fighting at the border filmed from Austria. Scary when you realize, how close it was to you home.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

Yes, it is alpine. Last winter we had an early start with snow in early November. I have also lived in Luzern, Switzerland and it is much colder in Ljubljana. Having said that, one can travel to the coast and see a temperature jump of 10 degrees Celsius.

There are lots of budget accomodations but you have to look for them. Check out the gostilnas with rooms or the tourist farms.