Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you only had one night in Paris, what would you do?

Jul 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I will be attending a conference in Paris in two weeks. I will have one evening (starting at 4:00pm) free to do anything my heart desires. I have already been to the major tourist sights on a previous trip (Eiffel, Louvre, Notre Dame, Versailles). What would you suggest I do with my free evening?

I am not a big drinker/party person, but I love good food, music, evening walks, and I appreciate unique cultural experiences.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

P.S. Keep in mind that I know a very limited amount of the French language (enough to get around, but not enough to converse fluently).
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM

There are so many places to walk around. Once it finally gets dark, walk from Place de la Bastille up the rue de la Roquette, and be sure walk up and down rue de Lappe and rue Keller while you're there.

Or, if you have never been to a film in Paris, go to Cour Saint Emilion (20 restaurants to choose from) and the UGC Ciné Cité multiplex (18 films in original version and an ambience totally different from other countries). As Paris Plage will have begun in two weeks, cross the brand new Simone de Beauvoir pedestrian bridge from there (it hasn't even opened yet, but it will be open in two weeks) to the Bibliothèque François Mitterrand. Part of the Paris Plage installations are located there, for the first time on part of the Left Bank. It is next to the new floating Josephine Baker swimming pool which opens to the public tomorrow. If you do this, you will be a totally cutting edge visitor to Paris.
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Hi A,

Will you travelling alone?
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hmm... I think I'd go back and find that adorable waiter and then.......oh, never mind. That was my OTHER life. LOL
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Oh, this thread is NOT about the famous internet movie? My apologies.
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac, thank you for you detailed suggestions. What is "Paris Plage"?

Mikeyb, this is not a personals website ;-)
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Say What!!!!!

Suggestions for a single person would be different than if a couple. After rereading your thread, it sounds like you're a loner.
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Paris Plage ("Paris Beach") is the annual conversion of the right bank expressway from the Tuileries to Austerlitz (4 km) into a beach setting from 20 July to 20 August this year. This year, the theme is "Polynesia" and for the first time, there is a section on the left bank, below the library (800 m).
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Take a cruise on the Seine to see many major building illuminated.
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM

First I would drink plenty of coffee would pray it was a Thursday so the Musee D'Orsay will be open until after 9 and the Centre Pompidou was having an exhibition that would keep them open until 11pm. If it was any other night I would spend the time at the Pompidou. When they close at 9pm, I would go out and enjoy Paris.

Iím not sure I could ever get tired of seeing the Eiffel lit up at night but Iíve only been to Paris once.
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM

I'd try to spend it with Alain Delon. I know that he is much older now, but hey, so am I.

Nina
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:56 AM

Starting at 4 o'clock, ok. Well, I'd be staying in St Germain, so I'd hit one of the many cafes for an expresso or two.

Then I'd leisurely wander over to the Louvre, walk through Tulieries, maybe take a boat ride. By then I'd be thirsty for some champagne, probably at the Cafe Marly. After that I'd probably wander over by Notre Dame.

Then I'd be off to my late dinner at either L"Espadon or Le Grand Vefour. I'd be sure to drink more champagne and eat foie gras.

After my feast, I'd taxi back to the hotel to change for my cafe/bar crawl through St Germain.

Hopefully I'd have enough energy to pull an "all-nighter" to see the sunrise over the Seine.

Jul 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the great suggestions. My free night is on a Thursday, so I guess I got lucky.
I think I just might pull an all nighter. I can sleep when I get home.

I just found out that my hotel is in Nanterre. Is that going to be a problem with transportation, or will I just be able to take the train or bus into the city? If the public transportation stops running at 12:30, what are my options?

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Jul 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Your non-taxi option is www.noctilien.com
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM

I would just plan on doing lots of walking. Paris is a beautiful city, and walking will allow you to fully enjoy it.

I would walk down Blvd. St. Germain, making sure to stop at Laduree at 21 rue Bonaparte for some wonderful macaroons and a cafe creme. From there I would cross the bridge onto Ile de la Cite and check out Notre Dame and St. Chapelle. If you have time, wander around Ile St. Louis as well. Its filled with wonderful architecture, and Berthillion has wonderful ice cream!

From there you could cross the river to the Marais and head towards the Louvre (worth seeing even if you don't go in) and walk through the Jardis des Tuileries towards the Champs Elysses and the Arc de Triomphe. From there go to the Eiffel Tower. By now it should be dark.

I would visit the Eiffle Tower, of course, but definitely at night. The sight of the sparkling tower is something I will never forget. Make sure you get there about ten minutes to the hour, as that's when it starts to sparkle.

This would be a long walk so I don't know how much of it you could do, but its a start.

Good luck!
Tracy
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Jeez...louise... I think I'll go over just to follow Kerouac's advice...

Jul 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Eat, then drink, then wander....Repeat as often as necessary.