Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you only had 5 nights in Ireland, would you fly into Dublin or Shannon?

Notices

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are thinking of going to Ireland in February for Valentine's day. Not the most ideal time of the year to go, I'm sure, but weather doesn't really phase us and we will be taking a bigger trip in September next year so a short one will have to do.

Anyways, with only five nights and wanting to make the most of those five nights, would it be better to fly into Shannon and stay in the areas around there (Dingle, connemara, etc) or would it be better to fly into Dublin and perhaps go to Kilkenny and the Rock of Cashel? Basically I just want to know which one would be more picturesque and would have more to do. Both flights are about the same price.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to add that flying from Chicago to Dublin would have one advantage; a nonstop flight, although honestly I would take the layover to have a better vacation if Shannon would be the ideal place to land.

Tracy
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:26 AM

The west coast is the best--start and end there.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:41 AM

In and out of Shannon. I fly out of Chicago when I go and going over the stop in Dublin is a snap. A bit of a pain returning though cause you have to deplane and get back on. But definitely worth it to fly in and out of Shannon. We last went for only six nights--spent most in Connemara (Clifden) and the last couple days in Ennis, so we could drive around the Burren, etc. The days are quite short in February, so rather spend a few days in two or three places than drive like crazy all over I think. Ours was a great trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. It looks like flying to Shannon would be the way to go. I kind of thought so, but I wanted some reassurences.

Holldoll, the flight I am looking at is American and the layover is Boston both directions, not Dublin. Hopefully we won't have to deplane!

Tracy
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:53 AM

We took that flight out of O'Hare last month and also spent five nights in Ireland. My trip report is under "Our Wonderful Irish Celebration" if you're interested. We spent two nights in Galway, two in Westport and the last one in Ennis. It worked out very well for us. However, due to high winds in Chicago, we did wind up having a longer than scheduled layover in Boston on the way back!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:58 AM

I probably should have added that that flight doesn't even go to Dublin, so no worries about deplaning there!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Oops, sorry--I was presumptious in thinking everyone flies Aer Lingus. I should look into alternatives myself!! Anyway, I think Shannon is your best bet. The countryside is so much more charming, relaxing and scenic. You can see Dublin on another trip--everyone goes back after being there!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Another vote for Shannon. We just came back from our 5th trip to Ireland. We spent most of our time on the east coast this time, and agreed that we prefer the west and southwest. So, easy choice for me!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Wow...you guys definitely made my decision easy! Now I just have to talk DH into letting me buy the tickets and I'm all set!

Thanks to all who replied!
Tracy