Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you lived in Europe what off the beaten path places would you visit?

Feb 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

My family & I are in a unique situation and are living in Europe for 3 years. There are definitely some areas I'd love to travel to but was curious to see what you seasoned travelers would love to see or have seen while traveling in Europe. Loved to hear about those hidden/off the beaten path travel locations.

Thanks Everyone!
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Javacurls, lucky you...3 years in Europe will give you and your family a chance to see and experience more than the tourists . Go to the big cities off season, and visit the "minor cities" (how many ever see Lyon, Trieste, Viterbo, Marseilles?) .
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM

I know the travel writer Rick Steves is not necessarily considered "off the beaten path" but I loved his advice. My girlfriend and I did a 3 week roadtrip through Europe a few years ago. We used a couple if different guides books and found that Rick Steves consistently gave us a great experience. Quite often his itineraries or suggested sites took you through some smaller more remote towns. You will also have the advantage of travelling on off seasons.

I also visited Japan with that same girlfriend and we used the Lonely Planet guidebook. It was fabulous for Japan (I don't know why but we didn't use it for Europe)! We found some great off the beaten path locations.

I know this isn't exactly the kind of info you were looking for but you can't be in Europe with out seeing the sights. The adventure is in getting there and you have 3 years to do it. I would use the info in these books as a rough draft and then find your own out of the way places. Some of my favourite memories from Europe happened when we would just get in the car and drive. One day we stopped for lunch on the coast in Italy, enjoyed the sun and took a stroll on the beach before we set off again. Another time, with no particular destination we found a small village in Provence where we sat in the plaza and enjoyed an afternoon coffee.

Have a great time!
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM

skagen denmark in the summer.
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Galloway Dumfries area of SW Scotland.
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Swiss passes in the summer. Especially Stilfserjoch/Umbreil and the area around it.

A drive from Schwyz - Muotathal - Pragel Pass, Glarnerland - Urnerboden - Klausenpass - Altdorf. Untouched by tourists!
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM
MNP

Another place in Denmark... (and I agree with Skagen is a must see as well)
Lyngby, a town about 20 minutes North of Copenhagen. Quaint and cute, and rarely any tourists. In the summer you can rent a canoe and paddle your way up a stream in the town or even around the lake. Close to the town is also an area called Dyrehavn that is a big nature park with free roaming deer. It is just lovely to walk around and is home to the oldest amusement park in the world,Bakken, that has free entrance!
Feb 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Holland away from Amsterdam. Rutland, and around Lancaster in the UK. Massif Centrale in France.
La Palma and La Gomera in the Canaries.
I would love to go to Poland and Bulgaria - to the wilderness areas.
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:37 AM

In Germany, the northern regions (which seem to be ignored by American visitors for some secret reason).

There are world-class attractions near Düsseldorf and in the Ruhr Area, beautiful towns and castles in the Münsterland. Aachen, Trier, Bremen, Münster, Lübeck are spectacular historical cities.

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern has great beaches along the Baltic coast, hundreds a lakes, dozens of castles (including the gorgous Schwerin castle).
Feb 25th, 2007, 04:16 AM

In the UK East Anglia, Peak District and the Isles of Scilly in a month with an R in it.
Feb 26th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information everyone! Looks like I have a lot to research to do!
Feb 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM

I discovered Ostfriesland last year. The islands, of course, but also places on the mainland like Emden, Leer, Greetsiel, Aurich, Oldenburg (which doesn't belong to Ostfriesland, so hold on to your seats, Oldenburgers).

And several places in Thüringen and Sachsen-Anhalt, like Mühlhausen, Erfurt, Schmalkalden, Rudolstadt, Eisleben, Torgau (ok that's already in Sachsen), and Halle's hidden treasures.
Feb 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
mdk

Ostfriesland is a place I discovered nearly 10 years ago because, as it turns out, it's where my ancestors lived. Unfortunately, this is the part of Germany other Germans ridicule...largely because it's fairly bucolic. But that serene innocence also makes it a great change of pace from Paris or Amsterdam. It's fairly flat there, so you can rent bicycles and explore the small villages. The countryside looks a lot like your image of Holland (which is not far away).

I've been to Leer and Aurich and they are both charming.
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM

South West France- Gascony and the Atlantic Coast
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM

My own off-the-beaten-track preferences are the northern coast of Belgium and France (Pas de Calais, Somme) -- everybody else is always heading for the hot and sunny beaches.
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Lucky you. What a great opportunity for your family.

The Beara Peninsula in Ireland. Cape Clear, Ireland. Any island, anywhere.

Marseille isn't exactly off the beaten track but is interesting and fun and has boat rides to Chateau d'If and boats to the Calanques.

Lots of other great suggestions. I think I'd get in a car and go to a country that I've never been to (Sweden, Denmark) and just drive and stop wherever appealed to me and get out and try to meet some people and ask about the town/village.
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:35 AM

I think a spa tour through Hungary is a great idea. Loads of soaking (sometimes underground) and relatively simple good food and great wine. Eger to Tokay is a good beat.
Feb 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I've lived in Bremen and it was wonderful. Funny enough, most people that travel to Germany seem only to go to Berlin and Munich but I think they're really missing out on the North West of the country.

http://www.marksblogg.com/past-bloggs/Bremen-Germany/
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Well, I did live in Europe for a while about 10 years ago. While we were there, we went to Lugano, Switzerland which is in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland and the Bernese Oberland area as well. Both of these are great places to visit.
Feb 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Malin Head, Ireland and the rest of the Inishowen peninsula would be my choice for a blissful long weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO