Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you have been to Tuscany or Umbria in late February/early March, tell me about it!

Search

If you have been to Tuscany or Umbria in late February/early March, tell me about it!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Mariarosa

Here's the story: hubby and I will be skiing in the north of Italy in mid-Feb, and have about 8 days afterwards to travel somewhere in Italy. We have been to the Big-3, as well as many towns in the Northeast area. We typically love small, medieval, charming towns with great history, food and culture and we are wondering if Tuscany and Umbria will be a nice place to visit during the winter, or just dead and depressing. <BR> <BR>Alternatively, we are also considering Sicily and the Amalfi Coast. <BR> <BR>Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:29 PM
ellen

From planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast in mid-October, I can tell you that many hotels (and I would guess some restaurants as well), close at the end of October. If you decide to go south, I think Sicily would give you more choices.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Santa Chiara

I don't think these places are dead or depressing at all in the middle of winter. Warning that you could run into some nippy weather, but you will have the place to yourself. Hill towns such as Assisi and Spoleto in Umbria and Volterra, Arezzo, Montepulciano take on a spectral beauty of their own. <BR> <BR>If you do a thorough search of the Amalfi Coast, I think you will find that most hotels close for this period. Now a deserted beach town in winter, that's depressing.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Valerie

We have travelled in March and found it beautiful. We had only 2 rainy days and some beautiful, sunny and warm days as well. There were more crowds in some of the hilltowns than we expected for early spring, but many were Italian school groups. With the beauty, culture and food - there is no dead and depressing in Italy!

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:44 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Mariarosa, If I read your intent correctly then I would suggest either Lucca or Siena as great walking towns with good ristorantes and a good dose of authentic Tuscan life--off season. It will be a bit chilly, but I love towns like this before the tour busses show up. Good Luck !

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:54 AM
Mariarosa

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input! You are definitely right, many hotels in Amalfi and some in Sicily are closed during that time frame. <BR> <BR>Anyone else have any input? My husband is leaning towards Sicily, but I'm leaning towards Tuscan/Umbria. I can definitely take the "chill," after all I did visit Prague and Vienna a few years ago in March under a blizzard!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Mariarosa

Hi! I'm still interested in hearing others' opinions! Thanks!