Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you have been to the Amalfi Coast in late February/early March, tell me about it!

If you have been to the Amalfi Coast in late February/early March, tell me about it!

Jul 31st, 2001, 10:00 AM
Mariarosa

Trying to decide whether going to Ravello, Capri, Sorrento, Positano, Pompeii, Napoli, Herculaneum and Paestum from February 24 to March 2 is the stupidest idea to cross my mind or a great idea. I love the bigger Italian towns in March, and hate tourist crowds, I would never dream of visiting this area betweeen June and September, and I find the water in the Mediterranean too cold for swimming even in late July, so definitely not interested on beach activities. Wondering if these resort towns shut down almost entirely, will I be able to find restaurants open, etc? Will it be charming and peaceful or just plain depressing? Thanks!

Jul 31st, 2001, 10:08 AM
Capo

Hi Mariarosa. We were there a month later than you're planning to go -- at the beginning of April this year -- and everything sure seemed to be open in the towns of Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi.

Jul 31st, 2001, 10:20 AM
Thyra

We were there 2-3 week of March in 99 and the only place where a few things weren't open was on the island of Ischia (off the coast of Naples) I would say only about a 10th of the restaurants weren't open. And several hotels I tried to book opened the following week.
The weather is touch and go.. can be hot but poured rain a few days.
Honestly I think you are picking the best time to go. Fewer crowds lower prices etc. One important note on winter travel. Be sure and double check via web sites or reliable guide books the opening hours of museums and various sights.
We found that in winter many museums have variable hours... like closed at 3 on Tuesdays and Thursdays until April.. etc. Before planning your daily itinerary it helps to be aware of this.
Otherwise, if you don't mind rain, you are picking an ideal time to go IMHO.

Jul 31st, 2001, 10:47 AM
angela

We stayed in Amalfi for 3 nights the first week of this past March and would do it again in a heartbeat. It looked like things were just starting to wake up for the season right in Amalfi.

Jul 31st, 2001, 12:03 PM
chris woolson

Not crazy at all -- I just spent the first week this past March in Sorrento and LOVED IT! Actually, can't lie, it was my second trip there during that time... weather the first time was a bit cold but this past time was PERFECT. Sun was out and I actually wished I had shorts for Capri.

http://www.flamingo-travel.com/Virtu...taly030701.asp is the daily events and photos for this portion of my trip.

Aug 1st, 2001, 12:59 PM
Mariarosa

Thanks Capo, Thyra, Angela and Chris! Amalfi Coast/Napoli is the current front-runner for our late Feb/early March trip.