If you had two weeks in Italy....

Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

If you had two weeks in Italy....

....where would you go? My fiance and I can't decide on anything besides flying into Rome! Help!! Amalfi coast, Florence, Venice???
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
cherylforeurope

I know the experts will ask what are your interests...art, scenery, antiquity, etc. and when are you going and how are you getting around...trains/car rental?

Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Architecture, history, restaurants (and wine!)...
After talking to several friends, we are thinking about renting a car. I don't think we want to drag two weeks worth of clothes with us on a train.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh, we are going the first two weeks in October.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM

Every time I go to Italy, which is twice a year, it is for two weeks! So I need some more information from you...

I love Rome, and I could spend eternity there, so I would vote for a week in Rome. Then, a week in another location.

For me, luxury in Italy is represented by time...so one week in two locations is very luxurious to me.

Have you ever been to Italy? Do you want to be in the countryside, or near the coast?
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

We have only been to Sardinia. We have only flown into Rome. I think we are leaning towards the coast. We love smaller, quaint towns (ironic living in Chicago!)
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
cherylforeurope

You can get two weeks worth of clothes on a train. We traveled for close to 3 with 1 carry-on (the only way I will ever go again) and 1 tote each. It was great for all the train travel we did. As far as where you should go, I will again leave that to the experts as I've only been to Rome and am currently planning 2nd trip to Italy to see Venice, Tuscany and the Amalfi coast.
Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!!

Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

I'd hop around the country in a car and by train. Some areas you don't want a car so take the train to Venice, Florence, and Rome.

Drive through Tuscany, on the Amalfi coast-Ahhhh Positano, etc!

We did 2 weeks and drove around, then turned in the car and rode the train. We went to Bellagio-Ahhhh!

Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Is your suggestion to rent the car in Rome? How many days would you spend in Venice? We are definitely leaning towards a long stay in Rome then heading to the Amalfi coast...Positano is definitely on our list. Friends of ours raved about it.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM

Renting a car in Rome.......that cracks me up! I was on my guard just walking in Rome! We looked and we didn't find one car without a dent in it. I wouldn't drive in Rome.

If I had two weeks and it wasn't in the heat of summer (I wouldn't want to do Venice in July) I'd do Rome including Naples and Pompeii for one week and Venice for the second week.

I'd travel by train and in Rome by subway. I agree luggage for 2 weeks can easily be handled on the train. Look at posts here for learning how to pack for a 2 week trip.....it's worth seeing what the folks here recommend and if it seems like too little try it.....you'll be pleasantly surprised at how little you need to take for comfort.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM

I think that a plan to spend a long time in Rome and head for the Amalfi is an EXCELLENT plan for October, unless you tell me that you aren't going until the very last week in October, and then I still might think it's a good idea.

South of Rome you have Pompeii and Naples, for your interest in history. You have spectacular scenery. And you've got really good restaurants. People argue about the how good the wine is around there, but nobody disputes there is only one place you can get real homemade limoncello.

However, both Rome and the Amalfi are not cheap places -- although there are some budget options. Also, whether or not to rent a car is a real puzzle. Some people HATE having a car in the Amalfi. Others think it's a lot of fun.

The one thing you must promise us is that you will not drive in Naples. I'm tempted to tell you to take a train to Salerno and drive up the coast from there. It takes you a bit out of your way, but if you've never driven in Italy, it might be the best thing to do.

But the real question is: Is this honeymoon being planned in splurge-mode or budget mode?
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Let me second the suggestion of not driving in Naples.

We spent two weeks in Italy a couple of years ago--a week in the north (Bellagio, Venice, Florence--too fast but our first taste) and a week in the south (Rome, Amalfi, also seeing Capri and Pompeii). That was after a week in Switzerland/Austria.

Next trip we went to Bellagio for a week and Venice for a week--very easy going.

I think a week in the North and a week in the South would work; after all, a train from Florence (well, more central than north) to Rome is about 90'.

We found Venice and Amalfi most "romantic" spots; Bellagio is too but may be cool in October & isn't where I'd go for art/ architecture -->Rome & Venice & environs.

We used a car for part of the first trip but have only used trains since and have never regretted it.