Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you had to choose...Musee Jacquemart Andre or Nissim de Camondo (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-had-to-choose-musee-jacquemart-andre-or-nissim-de-camondo-1128531/)

denisea Sep 3rd, 2016 09:45 AM

If you had to choose...Musee Jacquemart Andre or Nissim de Camondo

Having seen the major attractions in Paris a time or two, I have been wondering about Musee Jacquemart-Andre and Nissim de Camondo. They seem like they may be quite similar but those who have visited may have insight on differences (or not) Is one more compelling, impressive, unique than the other? I know a little about the stories of the families who owned these mansions....does one come "alive" more than the other during a visit? Do you have a favorite? If you do, can you share, why?

menachem Sep 3rd, 2016 10:00 AM

For me Nissim de Camondo, also because of the backstory

yestravel Sep 3rd, 2016 10:08 AM

I think JA is more impressive with much more art. What I remember the most was the beautiful staircase & gorgeous painted ceilings. They also often have exhibits there which is why we finally made it. I had read good things about the cafe, but was definitely not impressed.

NdC is smaller and more intimate if one can call these mansions intimate. It was pretty empty when we went which was not the case for JA. If you know the story, its very compelling and tragic and added to seeing the home. I remember the furnishings more than the art. I like the neighborhood and if it's a decent day a stroll through the Parc Monceau is just lovely.

They are both worth visiting -- choose one for this trip and on your next trip, see the other.

yestravel Sep 3rd, 2016 10:10 AM

It occurred to me since you'll be there Xmas time, maybe JA will be decorated?

shellio Sep 3rd, 2016 10:14 AM

Jacquemart Andre is primarily a museum of art containing the collection of painting and sculpture left by the owners, as well as special art exhibitions. It is housed in their mansion but is not a "house museum", although there are a few rooms that remain furnished. Nissim de Camondo also houses the benefactor's collections but these are much more in the category of decorative arts, including furniture and bibelots of the 18th century and the rooms are arranged as if they were to be used. As I recall, the kitchen is also available to visit.

it's difficult to answer your question. It depends on what appeals most to you. The Jacquemart Andre has wonderful art with some sense of the family who lived there while the Camondo feels more like an 18th century mansion although it was built in the 19th century to look that way. They are not very far distant from each other; why not see both?

Whathello Sep 3rd, 2016 11:29 AM

Bookmarking. I loved Jacquemart and have Nissim on my to-do list

outwest Sep 3rd, 2016 11:36 AM

I preferred Nissim de Camondo. Loved the story and we were virtually the only ones there.

maitaitom Sep 3rd, 2016 12:00 PM

Tough call...we liked them both...a lot!

I guess I would give the slight edge to Musee Jacquemart-Andre, but you can't go wrong at either.

((H))

Envierges Sep 3rd, 2016 12:31 PM

Which ever of the two you choose (and I wouldn't presume to advise) don't miss the other mansions around Parc de Monceau, especially if you've read the Hare with the Amber Eyes. If you haven't, I suggest a reading.

WeisserTee Sep 3rd, 2016 12:32 PM

Agree that they're both good choices. NdC if you want to explore the family's history and want to walk around the Parc Monceau before or after. JA if all your sole interest is the art.

The NdC family story, plus the neighborhood, does make it come alive a bit more for me than the JA. But if I had to pick one, I might still go with the JA.

henricat Sep 3rd, 2016 01:54 PM

I love both museums, for different reasons. The Nassim de Camondo has a compelling back story, as others have already said. The Camondo family gave many important paintings to the State, some of which are at the Louvre, and others at the Orsay (and maybe elsewhere). Their house is lovely also, and it still has a lot of their furniture and art.
For me, the Musee Jacquemart-Andree is also worth a visit because the museum hosts at least two major exhibitions a year. And the house is also a time capsule of the era in which the collectors lived there. The tea room is worth a visit, even if you don't visit the museum.

Macross Sep 3rd, 2016 02:26 PM

http://www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr/en/m...im-de-camondo/

This stove! I am adding to my list. Denise, thank you for researching this. I never knew.

StCirq Sep 3rd, 2016 02:58 PM

I love them both, too, and have had some perfectly decent food at the café at the Jaquemart-André and a couple of nice afternoon snacks. But that stove at the NdC! I have to agree - I covet that!

travelchat Sep 3rd, 2016 03:00 PM

By all means see both if time permits, each has it's own particular historic charm. Spend time to walk through Parc Monceau just nearby before or after the Nissim and pop into the Cernuschi to see the giant Buddha. While at the JA enjoy lunch in the elaborately appointed cafe. You can't miss with either of these two wonderful destinations.

MaineGG Sep 3rd, 2016 03:05 PM

I haven't been to the JA, but really liked the NdC. I agree with most of the previous comments, especially those mentioning the very affecting back story of the Camondo family. Although very elegant, the home feels like a home designed to be lived in, not a museum.

Someday I hope to get to the JA. It looks spectacular. This fall, there will be a special Rembrandt exhibit there that runs into January.

Loacker Sep 3rd, 2016 04:12 PM

Why not both? They are small and managebale museums. You can visit them both on the same day.

Loacker Sep 3rd, 2016 04:12 PM

Why not both? They are small and managebale museums. You can visit them both on the same day.

denisea Sep 3rd, 2016 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone. We may do both but just in case any museum fatigue sets in, I wanted to hear from you about both.

The great thing is that I had not heard of Cernuschi until today, so there is another bit of Paris that is new. As always, you all are a wealth of information! I now understand a bit more why NdC is paired with the Decorative Arts Museum and you all are making that combo ticket look like a good idea!

I also now have a new book to read (thanks Envierges)!

Parc Monceau has also been if interest but now seems a must since we will certainly be in the area now!

Still interested in more thoughts and opinions... Clearly both have a lot to offer.

janisj Sep 3rd, 2016 04:38 PM

Love them both -- but If I really truly only had time for one it would be Nissim de Camondo, for the 'house experience' and the family story.

But do try to visit both.

latedaytraveler Sep 3rd, 2016 05:41 PM

Hi Denisea,

Glad you folks are still visiting Paris. Good suggestion from Envierges to read THE HARE WITH AMBER EYES – I ‘ve read it twice.

The backstory of the author Edmund de Waal’s family is very similar to that of the Camando family – neither their wealth of connections saved them from the Holocaust in the end.

Enjoy Paris again…