Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you had to choose between June & Sept. in London, which would it be? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-had-to-choose-between-june-and-sept-in-london-which-would-it-be-234956/)

Sandy Jun 27th, 2002 12:02 PM

If you had to choose between June & Sept. in London, which would it be?

My daughter and I are planning a week in London next year (first trip for both of us) -- she'd prefer to go in September, but I think June. Neither one of us knows enough to have a really good reason for our preference in terms of events, weather, blooming seasons, etc. What do you think?

Leslie Jun 27th, 2002 12:07 PM

I prefer September, as the parks are still green and the temperature is cooler. Also, children are back in school, as well as college students, so it is somewhat less crowded.

L Jun 27th, 2002 12:11 PM

September<BR>FOr the reasons that Leslie gives and because I love London in the fall.We go in October.

druid Jun 27th, 2002 12:19 PM

You can't beat June. The tykes are still in school. The never ending sunsets,fresh smells of late spring and the locals aren't tired of the tourists.

chris Jun 27th, 2002 12:38 PM

Go in June, if only for the weather. The sun is out for about 21 hours a day, but it's not hot continental weather.

janis Jun 27th, 2002 01:37 PM

Well I'm not going to be able to help you decide since June and Sept (and Dec) are my favorite months to visit London.<BR><BR>pros/cons for each:<BR><BR>June - Very long days, the gardens are gorgeous the airfares are generally a little lower than in September (this seems weird - but European kids are still in school so it isn't yet high season.) Only real downside is the larger crowds especially during Wimbledon fortnight (but London reall absorbs the crowds well)<BR><BR>Sept: Not quite as warm as June but slightly drier, days are getting shorter, the gardens are still nice but not a fantastic as in June, more expensive air fares (but not as high as in August), Buckingham Palace is open to the public (only open during Aug/Sept)<BR><BR>To be perfectly honest there is very little difference - If it were my very first visit I would probably choose June simply because of the realllllly long days.

Sandy Jun 27th, 2002 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. Obviously we have to go in June and stay through September !!<BR>Tp for anyone else?

xxx Jun 27th, 2002 03:39 PM

June-more chance to have nice weather.

yes Jun 27th, 2002 04:11 PM

Weather ,weather.weather....why worry about weather!!!!!!!!!!1<BR><BR>I think you will find more things of interest in Sept or early october....<BR><BR><BR>I really don't think weather is an important factor at any time...what is it like in your home town ...do you let it influence what you do?

flygirl Jun 27th, 2002 06:32 PM

I would pick June. Longer days, sunnier skies. I've been there too many times to count - and May-August thus far have been the best weather/daylight wise...

xxx Jun 27th, 2002 07:39 PM

Mr. or Ms. Yes, why would you not wish to have a sunny vacation? When it's rainy you have to deal with an umbrella, wet clothes, wet shoes, gray skies. What's so great about all that? You're supposed to be on vacation not at home. So why not go when there's a chance for nice weather?

yes Jun 27th, 2002 08:16 PM

Because I would be in London...the people there deal with it all the time...it is a chance whenever you go..I have been to Londoon over 40 times in all months,frozen in June..roasted in March .. and it has not made one bit of difference ..I can be indoors or out ..there are always things to do and see..I deal with the weather at home, hot, cold, rain ,shine..weather is the very least of my holiday concerns unless I am heading for the beach!<BR><BR>I don't even care about daylight in June ..there is lots to see and do after dark in London..and just about anywhere else in the world you go!

Marla Jun 27th, 2002 08:38 PM

I'm with "yes" on this..unless I was heading for a beach or a ski resort, the weather would not matter that much to me. <BR><BR>As long as I am able to to be outside without freezing or sweltering,neither of which is much of a possibility in London in June or September, it really woluld not make much diffrence.<BR><BR>Personally , I would choose Sept over june, less school children around at the main Tourist sites, if this was a frist trip. If I'd een several times before, it wouldn't make much difference as I probably wouldn't be going to them.

tyrone Jun 28th, 2002 04:16 AM

Got to be June. September is fine, but June is England at its best. There last week, and the parks were sublime. Rose gardens in full bloom, flowers everywhere.

JMM Jun 28th, 2002 08:10 AM

Hard to say. The flowers are lovely in June but for some reason I have always had better weather on my September trips.

kate Jun 28th, 2002 08:12 AM

Sandy-I like that idea! Arrive in June-maybe leave in Sept:O)

suzi Jun 28th, 2002 09:11 AM

First of all, nobody goes to London because of its' great weather. I'd drop that element from your consideration and focus on best time with regards to events (at end of June, you're approaching Wimbledon and start of busy season in London) or amount of daylight (obviously a bit more in June than Sept) or airfare costs.<BR><BR>Several years ago I went to London in early November (less tourists, cheaper airfare) and had a great time! I fully expected weather to be cold, rainy & dreary --- pleasantly surprised that it was cool (not cold) and 'sprinkly' (only 1-day that required an umbrella).<BR><BR>

ron Jun 28th, 2002 09:40 AM

our first visit 6/30-7/06; 5 days of glorious sunny weather, 1 day of rain.

Sandy Jun 28th, 2002 10:30 AM

To Suzi and others: Thanks to all for the great replies. Actually, weather is only one of the things we've wondered about; if you notice, I put 'events' first. Other considerations I didn't mention might be airline prices, relative crowds, etc., etc.-- anything that occurs to you who've traveled more than we have. I think that since some of the earlier replies focused on weather, that's the topic most people are continuing to respond to. Thanks again.

Bill I Jun 28th, 2002 12:01 PM

I have been to London in early June & early to mid September. I liked Sept the best, not quite as hot, lines to attractions were not as long, I also got an extra day off because of the Labor Day holiday. Maybe it was just that the first time I went was in September & that could be why it is the fondest, but the extra day off from work made a difference. When there in June a couple time, it can be quite abit hotter 80's or even 90's. Kids are in school, but there are the end of year school excursions that visit a number of the sites, but still not as many lines as is later in the summer. I still like late August into mid-September.