If you had one day in Paris????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I'm going to be in Paris for only ONE day as sad as that is! But it is a full day, I get there before 10 am and don't leave until after 8 pm.
What would anyone suggest I do for that day. You know, your must do's and eat at's I will be there next week, the 28th.

Thanks
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

What would you LIKE to do that day? List it all then we'll help organize it for you.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 04:41 PM

I'm assuming this is a first trip. I spent a month in Paris and if I was to go again with someone who has never been there I would: Head for the Eiffel Tower, over to the Rodin Museum (you can walk albeit a fairly long walk), head to Notre Dame and perhaps St. Chappelle, into the 3rd district. Along the way stop for a glass of wine or a bite to eat or both. I would not waste my time trying to "dine." You can do that at home.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM

I would spend my entire time going from museum to museum eating a pieces of bread or quiche along the way.
But as Travelnut asked, what would you want to do?
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi R,

Where do you arrive, from whence do you depart?

Luggage?

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:14 AM

I would spend most of the time walking/exploring if the weather is goog. (But would have museum information handy as back-up)

I would go to Notre Dame and Ste Chapelle, Isle de la Cite and along the Seine then pick another neighborhood (or a few) that interest you. The view from the tower at Notre Dame is worth the climb. the Eiffel Tower would not be a must see for me in one day

I am sure you can find self-guided walking tours on line or take a book out of the library and copy sections
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM

If I were interested in art, I would spend the day at the Louvre.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

Being the lazy geezer I am, I would reside at a cafe on Boul Germain and enjoy the passing parade while I had lunch and vin. Then metro over to see the Arch Triomphe. Then walk over to the Tour Eifel. Grab a snack because Parisians don't eat until 7PM and you better be in the boarding lounge by then. Bon voyage.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

This isn't my first trip to Paris. I have been to the Rodin, Louvre, DeOrsay, I love museums any others that might be special to see? I won't have luggage. I want to go do things that will be a "must go grab a bite to eat here...." or "When I was there I loved when I went to..."

Thanks for the help

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM

raustin,
Well, geeeee!!! Thanks for the clarification. After looking at your other posts I think that the word airhead fits. Please tell us that you have an MBA from USC.

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

Both the Louvre and Musée d'Orsay are worth much more than just one visit! Have you been to the Museum of the City of Paris? That's an excellent one to visit, as is the Applied Arts section of the Louvre--many people miss that, as it's in a separate building. There's an adjacent costume museum with some wonderful designer clothing.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM

I would "hit the museums", but I'm an artlover so that almost goes without saying. Probably probably D'Orsay, l'Orangerie, Pompidou, Picasso, and if time, Rodin, but not the Lourve--it's too big and too crowded to be covered in this group. And yes, lots of yummy "street treats" along the way.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

hopscotch....I'm not sure what you meant by your comment, but all my questions have been for a trip that I have been trying to put together on my own for me and a couple of girlfriends that haven't been to Europe. I wanted to make sure that they have as wonderful a time as I had when first went to Europe. I thought asking for help here would be great but to my mistake I got a person like you that wanted to say something out of line for no other reason but to be a jerk. I hope you have a Great Christmas.

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Now that we know for sure it's for "new" visitors, have you asked them what they would most like to see? My suggestions above are what I first wanted to see as they're all "storybook" for an American. A short cruise (in daylight) along the Seine would be another suggestion.

I can't comment on best places to dine as I tend to stop wherever I am. Even tho' I make lists (endlessly) of recommended places, they're either closed when I'm in the area or I'm not hungry! For only one day, I still would not bother with foodie stuff.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

We did a day trip from Brussels this past September. Bought the one day pass and we're on our way. We took the #42 bus from Gare du Nord to the Eiffel Tower. Along the way you pass several sites that you may wish to get off and visit. Then we took the "touristy" river cruise and saw the museums & Notre Dame from the Seine. It was great. Later we took the metro to d'Orsay for a few hours. Afterwards we walked around the Latin Quarter ending up at Cafe Bonaparte for a bite to eat. It was quick, jammed packed and most memorable! Also check Robespierre's "Paris in a day". That's where I got most of the info. Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
ira

>I love museums any others that might be special to see?

The Branly is new.
http://tinyurl.com/34xpq3

I like the Jacquemart-Andre'
www.culturespaces.com/

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM

You will need to take the weather into consideration. If it's not raining, I would suggest maybe planning some self-guided walking tours. maybe the Latin Quarter or the Marais? Of course it depends on what you and your frinds are interested in, but there are plenty of alking tours in many common guidebooks.

If it's raining, you will more than likely want to visit a museum or two. As an alternative to the Louvre or Orsay, we absolutely loved the Museum of the Middle Ages (Musée National du Moyen Age). It was so amazing to see some of the tapestries and jewels from the middle ages.

Hope you all have a good day, and I am sure your friends will appreciate having a small taste of Paris - they will more than likely want to return. I know I do!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM

Sounds like you're arriving early so my first stop would be Berthillion's absolutely gorgeous (and newish) cafe - tarte tatin to die for - on the Ile St. Louis for a decadent breakfast. It's very busy later but should be fine that early.(Good loos here too).

The island itself is well worth a look and while you're in this area you might like to visit the Crypte Memorial de la Deportation (of the Jewish people) which is at the Ile St. Louis end of the Ile de la Cite. It is the most moving memorial I have ever visited.

I wouldn't go myself to places where you'll have to waste time queuing and where there are heaps of tourists, touts and tourist geegaws. Iconic as these are, they can be seen in any number of books or films, and personally I don't think they give a true feel of Paris.
From the Ile you could walk (or metro to Metro Stop St. Paul's) and wander around the Place des Vosges (Victor Hugo's home is on one corner and likely to be open) Maybe have a coffee there, look at the galleries, then have a look at the great little shops in the Marais en route to the Musee Carnavalet - the Museum of the History of Paris.

Not only is this free (the loos are in the basement) but it is never crowded and has a large and fascinating collection and a beaut bookstore too. A real must. A contrast and not far away is the Picasso Museum. This can get crowded but will probably be fine on a weekday. There is a cafe there too but I wouldn't recommend it over those in nearby streets.

There are some ok brasseries on Rue St Antoine and if you stroll back along Rue de Rivoli, you can have a great shopping experience at BHV. This is the Parisians dept store and has lots of well priced items - if you like those blue and white street numbers they use in France, they're in the basement. A great place to buy souvenirs too. There is an amusingly decorated cafe, also in the basement.
I would then catch the metro and visit either the Opera Garnier for its sumptuous decor or the Luxembourg gardens for their charm and peace.
This should be doable and not too stressful in the day. The RER to CDG also goes from Luxembourg if that's any help?
Whatever you do, you'll have a great time ... enjoy!