COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you had an early morning Venice flight this summer, please help!

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

The only other time I have had an early morning flight out of Venice was November of 2000. It was a disaster. We booked a water taxi for 4:45. When he arrived, he told us that the lagoon was fogged in, and he could only take us to the Piazale Roma where we could get a taxi--the same plan of about 100 other people! We got there, but just in time to walk on the plane. I'm sure since 2001, this would not work now.

We fly out on August 27 at 7:40. Can any one give me some recent account of an early morning flight? Did you use the Alilaguna? It gets there at 5:45. Will that leave enough time? Any suggestions?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:51 PM

I would think that the Alilaguna would get there in time.

I was there last month and had a 6:45 flight. We took a water taxi at 4 am and got to the terminal before 5 even though we walked from the pier.

The airline counters did not open until 5. Since there will be many flights before yours that the airlines have to get checked in, they may not even want you in line any earlier than 6.

If you are like me you are a worrier, but I think I would take the first Alilaguna. Things will almost surely be okay.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:33 PM

I think it's unlikely you'll have fog or high water problems in Aug/Sept. I'd do the water taxi or the Alilaguna.

There is a land bus from P Roma to the airport. I think their schedule is on actv.com
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for hour help!This is my 5th trip to Venice, but only my 2nd early flight. I am a worrier after my other incident!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:52 AM

take the bus. I had a very early morning flight as well, the bus left at 6 AM and got us there with no problems. the airport is so small you don't need to be there 2 hours ahead of time.