Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you had a month in Paris, which one would you pick? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-had-a-month-in-paris-which-one-would-you-pick-202133/)

jolie Apr 19th, 2002 05:02 AM

If you had a month in Paris, which one would you pick?

I am going to have the occasion to stay in Paris for 4 weeks next year. I was thinking of going in April because it's sooner than May and I can't wait to go already. But looking at the temperatures, it seems that April is still in the 30s and 40s farenheit at night, and this Florida girl thinks that is a little cold. But I would still go in April if it was the best all-around month to be there. What do you think? The factors with which I am concerned are: less tourists, nice weather, good open air markets and "flea" markets, basically a feel for Parisian life as usual. What are your ideas?<BR>

Bruce Hayes Apr 19th, 2002 05:05 AM

We are going to Paris for two weeks this September, so I am hoping that this is everyone's choice for the nicest weather.

xxx Apr 19th, 2002 05:21 AM

Jolie,<BR><BR>We went to Paris in April, 1999. The song about April in Paris is misleading. In reality the weather was very cold (daytime also), overcast, and rainy on some days. It would be better to go in September when the weather is much better.

Diana Apr 19th, 2002 05:23 AM

It depends. I was there in April last year and found it cold. This year it's been beautiful and warmer. (I also don't do cold weather if I can help it -- I'm a Texas person.)

Linda Apr 19th, 2002 05:51 AM

May 15 to June 15. Perfect weather.....not too crowded with tourists.

BTilke Apr 19th, 2002 06:02 AM

October. Weather is usually cooperative and there's a buzz in the air as everyone gets settled into the fall social whirl. The colors of the changing leaves in the parks are beautiful.

Wayne Apr 19th, 2002 06:09 AM

Statistics indicate that on the average, the tourists are less numerous and weather is better (for a Florida person like me, too) in late May to early June. A second choice, almost as good, is mid-September to early October.

ttt Apr 19th, 2002 06:49 AM

ttt

elvira Apr 19th, 2002 07:51 AM

All May, all June, all September, all October. Any four weeks with those four months will be good.<BR><BR>It rains in Paris. No matter when you go, it'll rain a few days. Rent an apartment in a non-touristy neighborhood so you get the feel of Paris; buy your food everyday like the Parisians do and cook; frequent the same boulangerie so the woman behind the counter recognizes you when you come in (makes you feel soooo cool).<BR><BR>In mid-Sept thru eom October 2000 I spent 5 weeks in Paris; in October 2001 I spent 3 weeks in Paris. The weather was good and bad (rainy cool and sunny warm), but when you have extended time in the city, you can stay in if it's icky outside (and watch French TV; nothing like a Knightrider episode dubbed in French to make you forget the torrential downpour outside) or go visit an obscure museum that's not on your preferred list of things to do.<BR><BR>In any of those four months there are lots of things to do - lots of flea markets, art gallery shows, special exhibits at museums and municipal buildings, concerts, dance troupes, etc.<BR><BR>If you have any specific questions about a stay in Paris, it's ok to email me directly.

jolie Apr 19th, 2002 09:11 AM

Thanks for the great information :) I guess the next step is picking one of those four months with the cheapest airfare, which looks like May or June beating out Sept./Oct. for rates.

Hmm Apr 19th, 2002 12:38 PM

Go Chisolm.

Patrick Apr 19th, 2002 02:01 PM

We have returned to Paris twice in early October just for a night or two before flying home. Both times the weather was miserable! Cold and windy one time, cold and drizzly rain the other. This is considered unusual for early October -- but it happened to us twice. On the other hand, I think mid May to June are really the ideal months, with September coming in close behind.

wintertraveler Apr 19th, 2002 02:17 PM

Okay, I know you'll likely want to go in warm weather yourself, but I think winter will always be my favorite choice for Paris. It's inexpensive, virtually no tourists, you can wear your black coat everywhere and fit in easily (since everyone always asks about what to wear). It makes more sense drinking hot coffee when it's cold outsid. Everyone seems happy to have your business at cafes and shops, and if you're lucky, like I was, you might see Paris lightly dusted with snow. My next trip will likely be in January. Bon chance!

Nancy Apr 19th, 2002 07:50 PM

Is there a low season for rates (hotels)? I heard that might begin Oct. 1. We're trying to decide when to arrive in Paris - late Sept. or early Oct.?? Is there a preference due to rates, crowds, etc.?