Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you had 8 nights to spend in Italy would you allot time for Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-had-8-nights-to-spend-in-italy-would-you-allot-time-for-venice-166171/)

kristen Mar 2nd, 2002 03:16 AM

If you had 8 nights to spend in Italy would you allot time for Venice?

We are going to Italy on our honeymoon in October. We have 8 nights total to spend there. I am having trouble deciding whether to fly into Venice stay for 1 night, train to Florence the next morning, stay for 4 nights, then train to Rome and stay for 3 nights, depart from Rome. <BR>OR<BR>Fly to Florence and do either 4 nights each in Florence and Rome, or possibly 5 in Florence 3 in Rome.<BR>Help! I'm so confused!!

xxx Mar 2nd, 2002 03:22 AM

Nah, skip Venice.

elaine Mar 2nd, 2002 03:25 AM

kristen<BR>Venice is one of my top two favorite places in the world (the world that I've seen, that is) and I would never say don't go.<BR>On the other hand, especially on a honeymoon, I wold hesitate to have you do so much traveling around, packing and unpacking, etc for very little time actually spent there. More to the point, the more places you go to in such a short time, the more time lost on checking in and checking out, getting to the train station, traveling, arriving, etc.<BR>You lose the better part of any day when you are traveling.<BR>I reluctantly say divide your time between Florence and Rome, or else Rome and Venice. You might also want to look into flying between Rome and Venice.<BR>I did last fall, and it only cost me a little over $100 (equivalent) one-way. It was a one-hour flight rather than a 5-hour train ride.<BR>I flew into Rome, and then home to the US from Venice to New York on Delta, non-stop each way.

Steve James Mar 2nd, 2002 03:40 AM

Hello Kristen,<BR><BR>Like Elaine I'd pick 2 for such a short visit. My choice would be 3/4 nights Venice, 4/5 nights Rome. You could see Florence en route ... with an early start, - most of the sights are close together.<BR><BR>Steve

Don Mar 2nd, 2002 04:07 AM

Kristen- Spending a honeymoon in Italy and not going to Venice would be like having a honeymoon without sex! I agree with Steve. Split your time between Venice and Rome, and stopover maybe a day/night in Florence. Venice is a MUST. Don

ron Mar 2nd, 2002 04:29 AM

Kristen,<BR>I am not so witty with words as Don about a honeymoon without going to Venice. But the first thing that crossed my mind was: Perish the thought of missing Venice on a trip to Italy, but to miss Venice on your honeymoon trip would be sacreligious to world travel. I'm fortunate to have gone to all continents of the world, and there is no more a romantic spot on the face of the earth (IMHO) than Venice. Pick Rome and at least 2 minimum nights in Venice first, and then consider fitting in Florence if you really want.<BR><BR>Ron

Wayne Mar 2nd, 2002 04:39 AM

Kristen---<BR>Just to give one more glowing recommendation NOT to miss Venice: whether it's my favorite place, or someone else's favorite place, or not, it is simply the most unique, most individual, most original experience in the world. Strolling around Venice, once you get clear of the crowds around St. Mark's, is magical--and the more you stroll, the more you begin to feel and understand its uniqueness. And especially on a honeymoon, to stroll around late in the evening after the crowds have gone, and listen to the little orchestras playing on the square, and perhaps sit and sip a glass of wine, is an experience you don't want to miss. I don't know what motivated you to want to spend a lot of time in Florence, but I strongly suggest you stay in Rome and Venice, dividing your time equally between the two. Happy honeymoon.

dena Mar 2nd, 2002 04:44 AM

Hi Kristen, congrats on your upcoming wedding. I have been to the cities you are contemplating visiting. While everyone's opinion differs, if it were me I would fly into Venice and stay 3 nights. If you arrive relatively early in the day, you would have 3 full days. I think Venice is a must, it is beautiful and romantic and unlike any other place. Then, I would go to Florence for 3 nights. It is another wonderful city to walk, see the piazzas and get a feel for Italy while not feeling too much like a big city. Then I would go to Rome for only 2 nights. While I think you should see Rome while you're already in Italy, to me it was too big of a city and while there is much to see and do, I prefer the cities that have a feel of a smaller city (if that makes any sense). As for the means of getting from one place to another, I'm not sure what I would do. Check the train schedules and as another poster recommended, if it takes too long, you might consider flying. But, train travel is interesting too if you've never done it and another new experience to have on your honeymoon. If I were to extend a night anywhere, it would be in either Venice or Florence, not Rome. But like I said, that's just my opinion. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any more questions. I hope I helped a little.

Vita Mar 2nd, 2002 04:52 AM

I opted against Venice on my trip in October due to time constrainsts, so I would say split your time between Florence and Rome or even spend one extra day in Rome. I loved Florence, but there's just more to do in Rome. It really depends on your interests though. Both placed can be very romantic for a honeymoon.<BR><BR>If you do decide to do Venice, I might suggest this: 4 nights Rome, 3 nights Florence, 1 night Venice. That way, if you're jet lagged you'll have time to recover in Rome and still enjoy the next few days. If you're jetlagged in Venice your only day there, then you won't be able to fully enjoy it. I also think it's nice to start with a high-energy place and finish with a relaxing place. Third, there's just so much to see and do in Rome, I would dedicate a little more time there.

Julie Mar 2nd, 2002 04:57 AM

It depends a bit on your interests, too. If you are heavily into art museums and architecture like I am, you might want to go to Florence to see the Uffizi and the Duomo. But if you are more interested in atmosphere, you might prefer Venice.

Tom Mar 2nd, 2002 05:18 AM

No way, Venice is a financial rip off and it needs a complete paint job! If you must go...do a day trip and get out before you have to pay the exorbitant rates for a hotel.<BR><BR>Spend your time in Florence, Sienna, Orvietto and Rome.

Joyce Mar 2nd, 2002 06:46 AM

My suggestion:<BR><BR>-- 4.5 days in Rome. You can optionally use one of these days to make a day-trip to Florence. If you use the high-speed train, this is a 90-minute ride. Although one day in Florence is not enough to see the entire city, it is more than enough time to see the high points (make museum reservations ahead of time), and then decide whether you want to return on a later visit to see more.<BR><BR>-- about a half-day traveling from Rome to Venice<BR><BR>-- 3 days in Venice: a beautiful and romantic city

rb Mar 2nd, 2002 07:58 AM

Venice is truly romantic and would be perfect for a honeymoon- it is like walking in the pages of a storybook. I love Florence but it can be done in a day trip-but, like other posters stated, if you love art you may want to do two days there- the Uffizi, David,churches, Bargello,shopping, etc.<BR><BR>On the otherhand (IMO)if you want really romantic you may want to do Rome for a few days (there is so much to do and see) then head south instead of north and honeymoon in on the Amalfi coast- Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, or go to Capri. You can see Naples, Pompeii, or Paestium or just snuggle and enjoy the beauty of the south-it is very romantic, too. Good luck.

wendy Mar 2nd, 2002 08:38 AM

MY vote is 3 nights in venice--train to florence-stay 1 night then on to rome for the last 4 nights.have a wonderful time. regards, wendy

John G Mar 2nd, 2002 08:54 AM

I couldn't imagine going to Italy and not seeing Venice; it is a place of magic. Venice is a dream floating on the Adriatic. I also can't imagine staying only one night in Florence. I would do it like this: 2 nights Venice, 3 nights Florence, 3 nights Rome. <BR><BR>But, Kristen, how you spend your vacation depends on what you like and what you want to do? Do you want to visit museums, sit at cafes, go shopping, visit historical sites? I think we can help you better if you tell us what interests you most.

zz-top Mar 2nd, 2002 10:13 AM

Lots of responses, Kristen, however as you can see there are even more opinions and who knows if one more will alleviate your confusion. Rather than dive in with my personal perspective on allotment, here's some elements to consider.<BR><BR>+ ROME: Rome is a hustle bustle city combining antiquities with the 21st century. I think of Rome as the "New York" of Europe. There's alot going on & much to see. You're walking down a modern street and next thing, you're peering down at the Forum or around the corner, and there's the Coloseum. I LOVE Rome. Others may find its' pace too hectic.<BR><BR>+ FLORENCE: One of the smallest compact major cities in Europe. Historical center is pedestrian traffic only, and all the major sites are in easy walking distance. If you're an avid art afficionado, This was the crucible of the Renaissance. If you're an art afficionado, then Florence is a must-see. OR if you want to do some serious shopping, then Florence should also be on your list. <BR><BR>+ VENICE: I'm not a devotee of Venice as others. However it is unique and I'd rate it as one city that everyone should see before they leave this earth. (You don't have to take my 'see Venice & die' analogy literally!). <BR><BR>However you structure your honeymoon, I do suggest you keep it down to two cities. After all, this is supposed to be a honeymoon?

Kristen Mar 2nd, 2002 03:55 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions, they are much appreciated. I must admit I am still unsure what we should do!?! As for our interests, we are both into art and history as well as good food and good wine. As far as shopping goes, I love it, he hates it so I don't want to make it a major part of our trip. We are from Manhattan, NYC, this is the type of city we are used to.<BR>I thought maybe this extra info might help with suggestions.<BR>Thanks again!

Jack Mar 2nd, 2002 04:01 PM

I second RB on the Amalfi Coast!<BR>I would go to Rome and then the Amalfi Coast for a few days for a honeymoon.

m Mar 2nd, 2002 06:23 PM

Any of these options would be fine. I think the most romantic approach would be the Venice and Amalfi combo. I've made that trip in about that timeframe. We flew into Venice, stayed for a few nights, rented a car when we left Venice. Spent 1 night on the road in Perugia and then went to Positano for a few nights, spending the last night in Rome (left from Rome). Most recently we did 9 nights, but this time with our kids (the 1st trip was a bit more romantic, before kids), we did 3 venice, 1 florence, 1 orvieto and 4 rome. As far as art, history, food and wine, Italy has it just about anywhere and everywhere. If you are leaning towards Rome and Florence, go for it. You can't go wrong with whatever you should choose.

grandma deedee Mar 2nd, 2002 06:58 PM

We were in Venice in September of 1997. What an amazing city! We also enjoyed taking the boat to Murano (watch for the commissioned salespeople at the glass stores) and Burano.<BR><BR>October is good. Later, it gets too rainy and actually floods. In the summer I understand the stench can be overwhelming. <BR><BR>After seeing all the art, stop at Peggy Guggenheim's museum. The modern art is a shock to the cultural system! There was a shop near there where the lady knit sweaters of masterpieces: Picasso, Miro, etc. I am so sad that I didn't purchase one.<BR><BR>We didn't enjoy Florence. I can't explain why. Maybe the hustle, bustle. The Vespas swerving in and out. We enjoyed the museums.