Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you had 5 days in Switzerland … (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-had-5-days-in-switzerland-1710955/)

trishaaa Oct 24th, 2022 01:40 PM

If you had 5 days in Switzerland …

This is a very last minute trip! We’re flying into Zurich on Wednesday, leaving Zurich on Sunday. My plan is to take train to Luzern and wander. Cogwheel to Mt. Pilatus. Swiss train pass should be ideal, right? Sad to say I’m quite overwhelmed just thinking about it. Accommodations? Eeek. Would you go elsewhere?
Ftr, I was in Luzern in early 80’s and remember it fondly. My husband has never been to Switzerland. We won’t have a car so plan to train,tram. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MichGuy Oct 24th, 2022 04:56 PM

Talk about last minute! Wow. I take it that you arrive in Zurich on Wednesday, probably in the afternoon, and leave on Sunday morning. So you really have three and a half days.
First, I wouldn't worry about any of the travel discount cards. You won't be there long enough for them to pay off.
Second, this time of year the weather may influence what you want to do. If it's cold or rainy you might want to stay in the city.
So I would recommend the following:
Wednesday: rest, walk Zurich (the museum, the parks, the old town). Last month we stayed at the Sorell Hotel Rutli and were very happy with it. It cost CHF225 per night, including breakfast. It's about 500 meters from the main train station, at the edge of the old town, and close to a lot of restaurants.
Thursday: Take the train to Lucerne. I think you can leave your luggage at the station (help on this?). Spend the day there as you wish, then take the train on to Interlaken.
Friday: Normally I wouldn't recommend staying in Interlaken (and don't know the hotels there) but it would be good for flexibility. If the weather is good today, take the train to Grindelwald. (Hiking, mountain views.) If it's not good, take the train to Bern. If you have a good weather forecast and feel lucky you might want to stay in Grindelwald instead of Interlaken. In Grindelwald we stayed at the Hotel Central Wolter. Wonderful place. It cost CHF190 per night, including breakfast. It's 100 meters from the train station and across the street from the bus lot.
Saturday: If the weather is good take the train to Lauterbrunnen. From there you can visit Wengen and/or Murren. Hiking, mountain views.) Otherwise Bern. If you have bad weather both days do one in Bern and maybe take the Golden Pass railway to Montreux for the other. Another option would be to take a boat ride out of Interlaken.
Sunday: Depending on what time your flight leaves you could stay in Zurich or Lucerne and go to the airport from there.
Hotel prices in Switzerland are stiff. We did all of our booking through booking.com and were very satisfied. This time of year you might have a more limited selection, however.
Good luck and have fun.

Jean Oct 24th, 2022 07:15 PM

I'd probably skip Zurich (as nice as it is) and head immediately to any destination you decide to include. I dislike multiple short stays, so I'd likely go to Luzern and stay put. At a minimum, I'd put Luzern at the end (Saturday) for easy airport access.

One easy day trip from Luzern is Meiringen, and, in addition to Mt. Pilatus, you might want to take the train up to Mt. Rigi. But the weather looks pretty good for the next week, so you could add another destination if that idea appeals.

We've stayed at the Wilden Mann in Luzern. It's a lovely, traditional hotel. Easy walk from the train station and just a block from the river.

Don't forget to change your "clocks" on Sunday, Oct. 30th.

neckervd Oct 25th, 2022 09:23 AM

The weather in the next days will be fine in the Alps (temperatures between 10 and 25 degrees) and rather foggy and somewhat colder in the midlands.
Friday will be the most cloudy day.
Warmest and most sunny area: Sion, Sierre (Central Valais).

marg Oct 25th, 2022 01:42 PM

My choice would be go directly to Lucerne and use it as a base for trips around the area. Mt Rigi and Mt Pilatus can easily fill in a day each. There are art galleries and museums in Lucerne if the weather isn't pleasant, and nice walks around the lake if the weather is good.
We can recommend Hotel des Alpes which is right on the river in the old town.