Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you had 24 hours in Barcelona what would you see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-had-24-hours-in-barcelona-what-would-you-see-603423/)

Wekiva Mar 29th, 2006 08:37 AM

If you had 24 hours in Barcelona what would you see?

We're arriving into Barcelona on the train at 9am on a Thursday and leaving at 10am from the airport the next day. What should we see? So far I've got the following on my list:
-Sagrada Familia
-Las Ramplas walk
-Picasso museum

What else? I'm thinking the wives won't want to go to the Picasso musuem so consider that as not real probable...meaning we could add one or two more things.

Thanks

Wekiva Mar 29th, 2006 08:39 AM

Actually the title should read if you had 3/4 of a day what would you see. With airport lines these days I'm assuming Friday is shot just getting on our flight. That leaves 9am arrival to about 9pm...12 hours.

Intrepid1 Mar 29th, 2006 08:55 AM

You might consider taking the hop-on hop-off bus.

Since you will at least take a stroll on Las Ramblas you should also walk over the several blocks into the Gothic Quarter itself to see the gothic cathedral. Despite the fact that the exterior is under repair/refurbishment the interior is worth a visit.

Another possibility is Parc Guell but you can skip that unless you absolutely have to see all things Gaudi.

csandoval Mar 29th, 2006 09:07 AM

Start off with Sagrada Family, then Parc Guell, Las Ramblas/Gothic Quarter.

C

julies Mar 29th, 2006 09:24 AM

Frankly, we thought paying to go inside la Sagrada Familia was a waste of time and money. Sure, walk around outside, but if it were me, I wouldn't go again. We loved Parc Guell. However, our favorite thing of all in Barcelona was taking in a concert in the fantastically beautiful concert hall whose name I have forgotten. They also do guided tours, but if you enjoy classical music at all, try to fit in a concert.

Intrepid1 Mar 29th, 2006 09:29 AM

If you pay to go inside the Sagrada Familia you can pay even more to take the elevator up inside one of the towers...up to you..how many times do you get to a city like this?

otto Mar 29th, 2006 09:35 AM

at least see the outside of sagrada familia. inside is cool, but you get the idea by seeing the outside. there is a park across the street, great pics from there. and def. the bari gotic. really cool small streets and shops.

wally34949 Mar 29th, 2006 09:38 AM

If it is a nice day, the beaches are pretty hot in Barcelona.

nessundorma Mar 29th, 2006 12:18 PM

That fantastically beautiful concert hall was probably the Palau de la Musica Catalana

http://home.palaumusica.org/

Pictures do not do it justice, but for my money it is the most beautiful structure in all of Barcelona. You can only take a guided tour, but I recommend it as the one thing to do in Barcelona other than eat the food.

I think the "hop-on-hop-off" bus is an excellent suggestion.

nessundorma Mar 29th, 2006 12:20 PM

Try clicking on these pictures of the Palau to see what I mean:

http://home.palaumusica.org/index.asp?pIdioma=ang

ekscrunchy Mar 29th, 2006 12:31 PM

The Picasso Museum is very small and, in my opinion, not a "must see" for a visitor with only a day in the city. The bus is a good idea; I would also include Park Guell and the various Gaudi exteriors including the Sagrada Familia. The Boqueria Market is one of Europe's best and not to be missed; it is on the Ramblas so you can walk through it before lunch. And certainly visit one or two tapas/pintxos bars.

Gardyloo Mar 29th, 2006 12:49 PM

Definitely the Palau, also take the full tour of Casa Batllo, right on Gracia at "Gaudi Corner."

laclaire Mar 29th, 2006 01:18 PM

This depends on you guys and where the energy is. Is this the last day of a European vacation and then you head to the US? In that case, I would get off at sants and take a taxi to the hotel (wherever that may be), drop the stuff and walk around. The Ramblas are just a crowded walkway with a lot of souvenir shops, but Passeig de Gracia is a beautiful walk and it takes you right past some great Gaudi buildings. Then have lunch somewhere and head to Sagrada Familia (I, too, think that entering is a waste of time and money). Then perhaps go back to the hotel and rest up for your last big night.

Have a nice dinner somewhere (suggestions are all over the board), then you and your wives can head to a bar for a fun last night, or walk the Barceloneta beach area. Stay out really late and get a little tipsy (but not drunk, as hangovers are awful on airplanes), then head back to the hotel, grab the stuff and hit the airport.

lindam Mar 29th, 2006 01:59 PM

I would skip the Picasso museum. It seemed that his more "familiar" works are housed at other museums in Europe.

annrad Mar 29th, 2006 04:57 PM

Yes Julies, I agree. Didn't really think that the Sagrada Familia was worth going inside to see for the price charged. You get a good idea of what it is like from walking around the outside. Along Las Ramblas there is a wonderful food market..can't remember its name which is worth a look at if it is open. Would definitely take the "hop on hop off" bus seeing your time is so limited. If you like views get off at Montjuic (around the Olympic site area) for a great view of Barcelona. But PLEASE watch your handbag carefully..my daughter had her camera pinched from her bag in the crowds along Las Ramblas and lost all her precious photos of her Italian host family she had been staying with. That was in December, not peak tourist season.
Hope you enjoy your short stay..there's so much to see and do!

annrad Mar 29th, 2006 05:01 PM

Just read ekscrunchy's post.. yes its the Boqueria I'm refering to. Ta

annrad Mar 29th, 2006 05:03 PM

Oops.. that's The Bouqueria Market

wren Mar 29th, 2006 05:10 PM

The hop on hop off bus would be a great use of your time...it would allow you to see the most in the short amount of time you have...I think there are 3 different routes and if you did just one, you would have a wonderful day.

ParrotMom Mar 29th, 2006 07:15 PM

The best advice would be to hire a taxi/guide
(I have the name of a great one)... and take a tour of Barcelona...We were in a hotel on The Ramblas and enjoyed that very much.. But I admit we saw more in Barcelona in one day that the average tourist would see in a week. I was very unimpressed by the old part of the Sagrada Familia, but the driver stopped at an old church and flea market and across the street was a building with a very "primative mural"... it was a Picasso...a Nativity scene.. We also saw the Olympic Vilage, the golden helmet and the fish..etc. etc. and stopped at a restaurant for lunch.. The guide explained and showed us the sidewalks and buildings that have the influence of Gaudi...and told us why the corners were at angles.. If you need the address if the taxi driver,...he was raised in NY..please write. [email protected]. I've recommended him to others recently and they were very pleased..

emnyc Mar 29th, 2006 07:46 PM

In 1995, the first time I went to Barcelona, I didn't pay to go in the Sagrada Familia and afterwards being pennywise in that way seemed to me one of the stupider decisions I made on that first trip to Europe. Last April I went back and had a wonderful time wandering inside and around and up and confirmed that I had been foolish in skipping it the first time. Exploring that weird and fascinating piece of architecture up close is much better than peering at it through a fence.