Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you could visit Italy, would you go in early May or September, and why? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-could-visit-italy-would-you-go-in-early-may-or-september-and-why-886492/)

paigeTN Apr 13th, 2011 12:39 PM

If you could visit Italy, would you go in early May or September, and why?

If you have the option to choose between May and September to visit Venice, Florence and Rome, which month would you go? Can you also tell us why? Thanks!

yorkshire Apr 13th, 2011 12:42 PM

Either. May may be cooler, and September warmer. May might be more crowded. Nothing is for sure.

dorkforcemom Apr 13th, 2011 12:45 PM

I've been to Italy both May and September - both were magical. Keep in mind that May 1 is a major holiday - travel in and around Italy is very busy that day. To me, either is fine - whichever is more convenient for your schedule.

annhig Apr 13th, 2011 12:48 PM

longer days in May, possibly warmer weather in September. personally I love the spring, and will be going to Italy for 10 days in May, s that's my choice!

uflecku Apr 13th, 2011 12:49 PM

Been to Italy in both months (end of May twice and Beginning of Sept once). Both are ideal. September would be warmer, particularly in the beginning of the month. Plenty of sunshine either way. Forced to pick I would go in May as I prefer cooler temps, especially if I am staying in the cities as it sounds like you are.

Aduchamp1 Apr 13th, 2011 12:50 PM

Those are both the times we prefer to travel to Europe. It is cooler and usually less crowded.

alihutch Apr 13th, 2011 01:48 PM

When going to Lake Como we tend to choose September. Water in the lake is warmer!

Zerlina Apr 13th, 2011 01:56 PM

May. Days are getting longer rather than shorter, and the nerves of people in the tourist industry are less frazzled.

mjdh1957 Apr 13th, 2011 02:02 PM

I'd vote for May as well. Countryside is greener and the spring flowers are out.

yestravel Apr 13th, 2011 02:20 PM

Have been several times in each month. I vote for May -- longer days and agree that shopkeepers are not tourist weary.

kybourbon Apr 13th, 2011 02:32 PM

May. I froze in September a few years ago and sunset is a lot later in May.

paigeTN Apr 13th, 2011 02:57 PM

Thank you for your input! Sounds like May is more popular. I did notice when I was researching that hotel rates in September are much cheaper per night, some by $100 or more.

paigeTN Apr 13th, 2011 02:58 PM

Longer days and friendly shopkeepers are important though. I like longer days since I can do more things.

nytraveler Apr 13th, 2011 04:39 PM

May. Days tend to be warm but not yet hellishly hot, days are long so you can sightsee more hours, everything is green and pretty and the tourist mobs haven;t descended yet. IMHO Sept is hotter and tends to be more crowded - as well as having shorter days.

nytraveler Apr 13th, 2011 04:40 PM

May. Days tend to be warm but not yet hellishly hot, days are long so you can sightsee more hours, everything is green and pretty and the tourist mobs haven;t descended yet. IMHO Sept is hotter and tends to be more crowded - as well as having shorter days.

uhoh_busted Apr 13th, 2011 06:28 PM

Last time we went, we went for 3 weeks in May. This time, we'll be there Sept 9 - Oct 6, so I'll be able to compare and contrast. :) I can hardly wait!