Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you could vacation to a fictional place, where would you go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-could-vacation-to-a-fictional-place-where-would-you-go-113809/)

California Dreamin' Mar 21st, 2001 10:27 AM

If you could vacation to a fictional place, where would you go?

Any fictional place from stage, screen or literature will work just fine.

Danna Mar 21st, 2001 11:01 AM

Fun Thread, thanks! <BR> <BR>Decisions Decisions, My first thought is Tom Bombadil's Home in the Hobbit, or Rivendell in JRR Tolkien's world, but Hogwarts's School of Wizardry sounds like fun too!

Sheila Mar 21st, 2001 11:04 AM

Utopia?<BR><BR>

xxx Mar 21st, 2001 11:12 AM

Xanadu

Cindy Mar 21st, 2001 11:23 AM

Another vote for Hogwarts!

Julie Mar 21st, 2001 11:32 AM

Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory. With all the frills: swimming in the river of fudge, being washed in the wonka wash, and flying thanks to the fizzy lifting drink.

thereisnoyul Mar 21st, 2001 11:40 AM

Westworld

lisa Mar 21st, 2001 11:42 AM

When I was younger and was reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" I always fantacized about going to Narnia.

Tammy Mar 21st, 2001 11:53 AM

Fantasy Island

Amy Mar 21st, 2001 11:56 AM

I'd travel with Milo through his tollbooth to Dictionopolis and Digitopolis. I would include swimming in the Sea of Knowledge and a visit to the Soundkeeper and to Chroma. (And I'm happy to report that I know a lot of eleven year olds who want very much to go with me on this journey.)

MarySue Mar 21st, 2001 12:04 PM

Another vote for Willy Wonka's Candy factory. When I was little I wanted so badly to believe it was a real place that I could visit.

Edmond O`Flaherty Mar 21st, 2001 12:12 PM

I would like to visit the mythical Irish place known as Tir na n-Og (The Land of Youth),an enchanted place somewhere off the Irish coast.It has been talked about for thousands of years in Irish legends.It is sometimes described as "An ait ina bhuil se ina shamhradh i gconai"-The place where it is always summer.Perhaps that story originated from an Irish monk who visited the U.S. long before it became the U.S.Legend has it that such visits took place as early as 1400 years ago when St. Brendan the Navigator sailed into the West.

xxxxxxx Mar 21st, 2001 12:29 PM

Got my pup Toto am in Oz - and I don't want to go back to Kansas!!

Shanna Mar 21st, 2001 12:40 PM

When I was a little girl, I had a slim (Dell? Golden?) book of fairytales - not the usual pretty stories, some of these were pretty grim (but not Grimm). On the green cover was a big tree with children peeking around at the little elves (gnomes, maybe?) who had a house within the thick trunk of the tree. On the inside cover were little fairies resembling fuzzy spots of light. The drawings all had wonderfully magic elves and faeries, dancing by missty moonlight, living in the most fantastic hidden places, wearing flowers, leaves for boats. I wanted to live in that book. (Still do.) And so, as a child, I would walk to a window at night with my eyes squeezed tightly closed, open them, and wish on the first star I'd see that I would awake in that magical place. I guess I always believed what Jiminy Cricket said: "When you wish upon a star . . . ." (Still do.)

Judi Mar 21st, 2001 12:55 PM

Islandia!

Rex Mar 21st, 2001 01:06 PM

Two answers, with a connection to Europe, at least: <BR> <BR>When I was a kid, there was a Walt Disney version of Mark Twain's "The Prince and the Pauper". And I dreamed of being that pauper kid and of getting to become the Prince and live there in that regal castle. And of course, I would have no interest in going back to being the Pauper. <BR> <BR>The name of the second place is, I guess, Sidhe. On the third track of Riverdance, there is a pair of songs/dances called "The Countess Cathleen/Women of the Sidhe". My interpretation of the second half is that Sidhe is some "village" (maybe a matriarchal society?) attacked by marauders, and that these women defeat them. I want to live in a place where the sole military is a bunch of step-dancing Irish women, and they always defeat the bad guys. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Nancy Mar 21st, 2001 01:13 PM

Hogwarts or Brigadoon!

Diane Mar 21st, 2001 01:16 PM

Nirvana

mark Mar 21st, 2001 01:35 PM

Tough choice: accompany Amy through the Phantom TollBooth (one of my all time favorite books - even have a signed copy ) or Shangri-La in Lost Horizons. For some reason dressing like Na Nuk of the North and having all the time in the world to learn how to play piano are rather enticing.

stacey Mar 21st, 2001 01:44 PM

I want to go with Edmond.