Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > If you could stay anywhere in Rome...(with teens)

If you could stay anywhere in Rome...(with teens)

Jan 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

If you could stay anywhere in Rome...(with teens)

Dad and three teens (15/17/18) spending week in Rome July 3rd- 9th. Looking for recommendations on best lodging location/ options / even specific hotels/B&B's. Would like to share quad room to save money. Trying to keep accommodations to $2000 US or less. Thinking of Navona, Pantheon, or Trevi areas...but open to others if highly recommended.

Already got our Scavi tickets! Looking for unique things to do that were highlights of others trip.

Thank you!
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM

www.booking.com/city/it/rome.en.html
great deals honest reviews here.
Try San Carlo Suites they are great.
Watch out for apartment scammers that troll/lurk here.
Never wire money use CC only insuremytrip.com wise.

Happy Hunting!
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Two of the better locations are by Piazza Navonna or the Fiore district.
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM

hi umbilicus,

as you are staying for a week, would you consider an apartment? you will get more space for less, and can save on eating meals in, preparing packed lunches to take out with you, etc. etc. Even if you never cook anything, you can get pizzas or other made up dishes to eat in the apartment, plus the teens will enjoy the extra space to lounge about, [as will you - w eek in one hotel room with 3 teens could be a bit trying!].

we did this twice with our kids in Rome, as well as other Italian cities, and they were some of the best holidays we had with them.

the first time we stayed near the colosseum, which was not really convenient for the rest of Rome [it was better once we'd discovered the buses] but the sight of the colosseum every time we came out of the door was great. another thing our kids enjoyed was being able to go out and get breakfast [DS, then about 15 really liked this] and bring it back to the apartment for the rest of us. After the first morning he did this by himself, and despite having no italian at all, always got it right!. we also liked getting to know our neighbourhood, having "our" bar, "our" gelateria, etc. etc.

the 2nd time we stayed near the piazza navona. it was more convenient for most of what we wanted to see, and the area was full of interesting places, but we never developed quite such a liking for the neighbourhood as we had with the first one. also it was more expensive, but we spent less on buses!

another point to consider is that in July, you'll probably want A/C.

if you want to see what we did with one of our weeks [which included the Scavi tour] jus click on my screen name and look for my Rome trip report.

Have a great trip!
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Christmas 2010 my husband and I took our daughter and her two teen-aged sons to Italy and we used Rome Capital apartments. We've used them before and had great service. If you go on their site (can't remember the web address) look at the Ferrajoli II apartment. The location was extremely central and, in fact, we walked everywhere--even over to Castel San Angelo and the Vatican.

Glad you got Scavi tickets--it's a very special opportunity.
Jan 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Here's the link to the website for that agency mentioned by MelJ.

http://www.romecapitalapartments.com...s-list/1/All/5

scroll down to p5 for the apartment she stayed in.
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
jgg

We have stayed twice at Albergo Cesari (www.albergocesari.it)near the Pantheonin the quad room. We loved staying near the Pantheon. This hotel is very well located for all the sites and right near our favorite gelato place- Le Cremeria and near favorite espresso (Le Gran Caffe). However, if staying for a whole week I agree with others/ recommendations to consider an apt.

This link gives some great ideas of what to do with your teens - http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome/chills_thrills.htm (I know the article says "kids" but I think teens would love this stuff as well). We did a lot of these things and our kids loved them - in particular we would have never known about the Museo Criminologico if not for this article and we all found it fascinating. Definitely make a trip to the catacombs as well.

I'm sure your teens will really enjoy sitting on the piazza enjoying their espresso and with a full week in the city you will have plenty of time to enjoy la dolce vita!
Jan 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM

We rented from Sleep in Italy, we stayed at Corso Yellow. It had an elevator and a/c. We were there at the beginning of April so we didn't need the a/c but it was there in the bedroom and tv room. There was also a loft above the dining area with two single beds, I don't know if there was an a/c unit up there as we were in the bedroom. The tv room had a pull out sofa. It was on the Via del Corso so there was traffic even through the night but we slept fine, it was "white noise" for us. We thought the location was great. We were one block from the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, we walked from the Vatican at a comfortable pace in about 30 minutes, in my opinion we were very central in the Centro Storico. There were two grocery stores marked on the map in the apartment. The one we went to was about a 10 minute walk, right by the Area Sacra.
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM

We stayed with a 10, 14 and 16 year old in an apartment about 150 meters just west of Piazza Navona in 2009. Such a great area. The kids could go out on their own in the immediate area.

The apartment was with Roman Reference but doesn't seem to be listed anymore. But there are lots of them.
Jan 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Found it. The apartment is a little funky as the two bedrooms are actually lofts you have to climb up to. But the teenagers loved that.

http://www.romanreference.com/en/apartment/rome/124
Jan 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM

With kids the age of yours (the 2 oldest are really adults) I would definitely make sure they do a lot of work for the trip - including the evening activities meeting local students. Head them towards the Let's Go guides or the Thorn Tree section of the Lonely Planet web site - they'll find lots of student info. (When we traveled without two teen daughters we found it worked much better when we weren;t all joined at the hip 24/7. We had a lot of similar interests - but also some different ones - and found out that sometimes just meeting for dinner was a good idea.

Also, when dining do realize that your kids will probably be served wine - unless you specifically tell the waiter not to do so.
Jan 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM

We stayed with our teen boys at "Hi Tech Pellicia" Apt which was in Trastevere. The guys had a great time wandering the local neighborhood on their own to get dinner while we ate at fancier places. I'll hunt for the link and post it shortly....
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you folks ...the recommendations are super! I am thinking of booking an apartment at Hotel Campo de Fiori. Seems like a great location. Any experience with this hotel?
Jan 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM

i think i remember another fodorite staying there - here's the link to what turn out to be several threads.

http://www.fodors.com/search/results...ampo+dei+fiori
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM

hi umbilicus

after a bit of work, i eventually found it on TA, where it gets good reviews as it does on booking.com. also the price seems pretty reasonable. you'll be in the heart of Rome, which is a plus, and within walking distance of most things you want to see, or a bus stop for the ones that aren't.

you could do a lot worse!

ps - as you are travelling in July, you might want o make sure they've got A/C.
Jan 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM

We had a great stay in a beautiful hotel right on Piazza Navona named Relais al Senator. They 4 or 5 awesome rooms and a big "family" sized room upstairs.

Great location, incredible rooms and we were made very comfortable.

This is one of those great places that I almost don't want to share so we keep it all to ourselves.
Jan 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM

When we went to Rome with our teens, we stayed at Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere. It was a quiet and low key oasis in Rome - great non-touristy neighborhood full of fabulous restaurants. We had a loft, so the kids slept downstairs. It was very comfortable.
Jan 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Hi,
We have booked the following place for September that has been highly recommended. We have got two teens (19 & 17). Not sure of the availability for when you are travelling though. In a great location for everyone, great price and room to move around.... Good luck
https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show...d_appartam=345
Jan 26th, 2012, 02:25 AM

nice apartment, kcnewby and in a great position.

i see that the 2nd bedroom only has a double bed, whilst the main bedroom has the potential for separating the bed into two twins.

so will you be letting the kids occupy the main bedroom along with the "en suite"?
Jan 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Annhig - This apartment has one bedroom with two singles ( can be convertible into double), it has a sofa bed (double) and also another 'French' bed in the loft Over the kitchen. Should fit the three teens and dad.
I got this from another poster 'Kwren' but she never added her trip report, have asked the question to her but haven't heard how her trip went to get the feedback as she also had teens...

Search this Thread