Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you could stay anyplace on the Riveria where would that be? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-could-stay-anyplace-on-the-riveria-where-would-that-be-405993/)

JeriB Mar 2nd, 2004 06:26 PM

If you could stay anyplace on the Riveria where would that be?

We have 5 days and a car, we'll be traveling from Arles and would like to see some Provencal hill towns and yes Riveria beaches. What's a good base (for 5 nights) and a great itinerary? I have dreams, but lack details!

Underhill Mar 2nd, 2004 08:11 PM

If you're after white-sand beaches, be aware that a good number of those along the Côte d'Azur offer pebbles instead. There are, however, nice beaches at St.-Tropez and Cannez and at smaller areas in the vicinity.

If you want to see some of the classic Provençal hill towns, you could drive through the Lubéron and see Ménerbes, Bonnieux, Oppede-le-Vieux, Gordes, and Rousillon, then head down to the coast and head east to the area around Nice.

Alternatively, you could drive straight across to the Nice area and see such villages as Eze, Mougins, Tourette-sur-Loup, Gorudon, Vence, and St.-Paul-de-Vence, and perhaps also Cannes and Antibes for a taste of life near the sea.

It might be fun to stay a night in the Lubéron area and the remaining 4 nearer the coast.

SalB Mar 2nd, 2004 08:27 PM

You could spend a couple nights in Lourmarin or Roussillon, both very nice villages, and explore the hill towns from there.

Then you could move on to Nice and visit that area, including the coast. As Underhill has mentioned, the beaches on the Riviera tend toward stone rather than sand. There are some sandy beaches but you have to search for them. Do try to visit the calanques while you're there. They are incredibly beautiful.

If you're in Arles, there is a lovely beach with free parking in the Camargue near Stes. Maries-de-la-Mer. We love the Camargue, but you didn't mention it and it certainly isn't hilly! If you're into bird watching, though, it's a treasure. You can also take horseback rides through the area.

To me, the charm of the Riviera is the towns, not the beaches. We live in California so we have beaches here. When we want beaches in France, we head west toward to the lovely beach stretch between Canet Plage and St. Cyprien Plage. Free parking, a protected natural area, great surf, lovely sand . . . it can't be beat. The crowds are all sitting on stones on the Riviera!

Have a great time.

JeriB Mar 11th, 2004 12:18 PM

To: SalB exactly where is Canet Plage and St. Cyprien Plage, just curious?

Huitres Mar 11th, 2004 12:40 PM

I have made both Nice and Monaco (actually Beau Soleil) my bases, respectively on previous trips. From Arles, Nice would be closest to drive to and is, IMO, the most central of the Riviera cities. After all, Nice is the capital of the Cote D'Azur and it would make the most sense to stay there. Besides the lively Cours Saleya daily market, the Matisse museum, taking a promenade along the Blvd Des Anglais, there are a lot of things to do and see in exciting Nice. You might plan some day trips to Monaco/Monte Carlo, Cannes, St. Tropez. Also Villefranche is a delightful place to see the lovely Rothschild mansion/estate there. As the other posters have mentioned, the Riviera doesn't really have good beaches, they are all pebbly with lots of rocks. Of course, you could rent some of the chaise lounges and an umbrella and it will suit you fine; however, be prepared as they are not "typical" beaches with miles of white sand to lay on.

Judy Mar 11th, 2004 01:22 PM

We've based ourselves in St. Paul de Vence, Tourrettes-sur-Loup and St. Jean Cap Ferrat and, while we enjoyed each stay, St. Jean Cap Ferrat at Voile d'Or was definitely my favorite. I liked the coastal location and thought it was a fairly easy drive to other villages and sights.

StCirq Mar 11th, 2004 01:44 PM

JeriB:

Canet and St-Cyprien are right near Perpignan.

Underhill Mar 11th, 2004 08:11 PM

Judy,

Did you see the question someone posted today about the Voile d'Or? No one's responded yet.

Surfergirl Mar 11th, 2004 09:00 PM

I'm answering the captioned question and if money were no object, it would be St Tropez without a doubt. The town is so pretty and the beaches bliss.

If money were an issue, and isn't it always, for most of us (!), Juan les Pins.

Judy Mar 12th, 2004 03:52 AM

Underhill, I didn't see the question...I'll search for it now. Thanks