Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you could pick any month to go to Paris... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-could-pick-any-month-to-go-to-paris-608270/)

sandi_travelnut Apr 17th, 2006 06:46 AM

If you could pick any month to go to Paris...

Would it be Paris in the Spring? March, April or maybe fall? I've been the first of October and in December but would love to know your favorite time to go.

wally34949 Apr 17th, 2006 06:58 AM

I'd go for September or early October. April and May can be rainy. The kids are back in school and the French are over their August holiday.

wanderful Apr 17th, 2006 07:03 AM

I always go in May and will always go in May. The weather is delightful, the flowers ate in bloom, the kids are still in school, the racing at Longchamp is in full swing, the Paris Open kicks into gear, and ... I go in May.

Neopolitan Apr 17th, 2006 07:04 AM

We thought we'd freeze to death the first weekend in October one year, but another year the last week of September was still quite warm. But for a full week, I'd stick with September when there is a greater likelihood of being able to really enjoy the parks, the outdoor cafes, and the tons of walking with having to "bundle" up. Or I'd cheat a bit from mid September to mid October.

kenderina Apr 17th, 2006 07:06 AM

I've never been to Paris..but I would like to do it as soon as possible !!
I'm sure I prefer May-June or September-October :) But I'm sure too that each season has its own charm there and sometimes you cannot choose !!

gard Apr 17th, 2006 07:06 AM

Hi

I have been there in April, May and June and I would also vote for May or middle of summer. We just came back from Paris on Saturday and it was pretty cold on several of the days of our stay. But when I went there in May a few years back we had lovely spring weather :-)

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Robespierre Apr 17th, 2006 07:07 AM

Winter - January or February. No hordes of fat tourists in shorts.

NorthShore Apr 17th, 2006 07:11 AM

Robes, you mean that Germans don't go in the winter?

mamc Apr 17th, 2006 08:29 AM

Have been in April, May, June, July, September and October. I definitely recommend early May and late September. The weather is nicer and the crowds are not unreasonable.

sandi_travelnut Apr 17th, 2006 08:32 AM

We froze in Dec. '04 so I think we'll stay away from the dead of winter this time. This fall my only child is going of to college and we have enough miles to go for free. I thought it'd be nice to go while Lutece and her husband are lilving over there and hang around for a week or so. I like the idea of May. I've always gone to Europe in the fall and never really got a to have a real garden experience yet, full of flowers for spring...hmmm sounds so wonderful.

hopscotch Apr 17th, 2006 08:50 AM

May.

jay Apr 17th, 2006 08:55 AM

January thru December

Underhill Apr 17th, 2006 09:02 AM

October, if you plan far enough in advance to get a good hotel room; it's high season in Paris then because of all the shows.

Powell Apr 17th, 2006 09:21 AM

May, early June, October.

rbnwdln Apr 17th, 2006 10:47 AM

We've been to Paris twice, both times in late March/early April. Cold and rainy both times. So my vote is against either of those months.

AnthonyGA Apr 17th, 2006 10:59 AM

Spring and fall. Spring is cooler with a bit more rain. Fall has a bit less rain, but it's more likely to be uncomfortably warm. It depends on what you like.

basingstoke1 Apr 17th, 2006 12:09 PM

Having been to Paris in December, May, June, and July I would choose May. There is a higher chance of rain but Paris in bloom is glorious and there are fewer tourists than when school is out. July though had more hours of daylight and that was nice too.

ilovetotravel29 Apr 17th, 2006 12:10 PM

Ok, I say go for May?

Robespierre Apr 17th, 2006 12:47 PM

<i>I ((L)) Paris in the springtime.
I ((L)) Paris in the fall.
I ((L)) Paris in the winter, when it drizzles.
I ((L)) Paris in the summer, when it sizzles.
I ((L)) Paris every moment -
Every moment of the year.
I ((L)) Paris
Why, oh why do I ((L)) Paris?
Because my (({)) is ((}))</i>

Neopolitan Apr 17th, 2006 12:56 PM

I'm having a real hard time seeing those last two emoticons clearly, but is the last line really, &quot;Because my father is a monkey&quot;?