Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If you could pick 2: Amsterdam, Bruges, or Brussels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-you-could-pick-2-amsterdam-bruges-or-brussels-534141/)

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 09:56 AM

If you could pick 2: Amsterdam, Bruges, or Brussels

If you could pick 2 of the following 3 places, where would you go? I'm going to be in Belgium for 4 days and we land in Antwerp.

I'm a little hesitant about travelling to Amsterdam but right now I'm there for a day and a half...I'm thinking of switching Amsterdam either to just a day and the next day to either Bruges or Brussels or cancelling Amsterdam all together?

Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much for all of your help!

~Angel

NorthShore Jun 4th, 2005 09:59 AM

No contest for most people - Amsterdam and Bruges. Why are you hesitant about Amsterdam, it is a wonderful place.

dachsund Jun 4th, 2005 10:57 AM

I have never been to any of them but will be going to amsterdam and Bruges in September. Having said that, everyone I know who has been to Bruges has nothing but great things to say about it. I was told that Bruges would be a nice resting trip after going to a big city. I was told that you can stop in brussels if you go to bruges. Some say that Belgium has the best food,beer, and chocolate in Europe. Brussels is closer but Amsterdam is a more popular destination. Hope that helps!

ira Jun 4th, 2005 11:09 AM

Hi d,

1. Bruges and Amsterdam

2. Bruges and Brussels

((I))

julia_t Jun 4th, 2005 11:28 AM

Some years ago I found myself in a similar situation, and from Antwerp we hired a car and headed east into the Ardennes. We chose a roughly circular route on the map, and stayed in small and beautiful towns, Liege, Bouillon (fabulous castle), Spa Francorchamps (pretty, with half-timbered houses, and you can drive on the Formula One racetrack as it is the main road!) are some I remember. We visited other towns and villages on our drives each day, stopping for provisions for picnics in the countryside. It was mid-August and we booked nothing ahead, as it was a spur of the moment trip, but we had no problem finding hotels and inns where we chose to stop.

I visited Amsterdam after the Ardennes trip for a couple of days, and to be honest I don't recall much about it, except it was busy and crowded, the cafes were full of smoke. My memories are of the forests, hills and fairytale castles and picturesque little inns by streams (at one place they brought us freshwater snails with our beer - so fresh they were wriggling on the pins when we tried to extract them!!) and where no-one spoke much English or French (it's Walloon out there) and they cook very good rustic food.

Bruges is lovely, terrific moules, but you can easily "do" it in less than a day. Brussels is OK IMHO, but nothing particularly special aside from the central square and surrounding streets. Beer is good though, as it is throughout Belgium!

But I have digressed from your original post, although if I had to choose I would probably opt for Amsterdam to explore it properly, with a day out in Bruges, and maybe a day in Den Hague as well. And don't forget Delft, with its pretty little canals and porcelain factories.

Have a wonderful trip whatever you decide to do.

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 11:38 AM

Thanks for all of the quick replys!

How would I go about travelling to all of those places--The Hague and Delft from Amsterdam and which place would be better to spend the night in?

basically, I'm just having a lot of time deciding where I should stay overnight for the 3 days i'm in the belgium area.

So definitely it seemslike Bruges is a not miss...but would you need more time to explore Bruges, Amsterdam or Brussels? And what kind of person would enjoy each? Thanks so much!

degas Jun 4th, 2005 11:38 AM

julia_t is on the right track. I think about three days is right for Amsterdam. It seems to be a love or hate kind of place. I loved it, and went back two times.

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 11:40 AM

What did you enjoy so much about Amsterdam and what would you say would be the places or things to not miss while there?

vivi Jun 4th, 2005 01:43 PM

I had this same dilemma--I flew into Brussels and had 2 days solo until I met up with my daughter in Amsterdam, where we are now. I just adored Bruge, spent 2 wonderful days and nights there at the Prinsenhof. I spent several hours in Brussels in the center city near the Grand Place, but glad I spent the bulk of my time in Bruge.
We have already been in Amsterdam for 4 days, loving every second except for the fact that I am not getting enough sleep with all this dayight and my feet are starting to ache from all the walking. Its a delighful place, tho I am sure some people might possibly be appalled by certain apects of free wheeling Amsterdam!

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 01:47 PM

If anyone who has been in Amsterdam could suggest to me things you did there during the day and at night that would be great! Or even for Bruges, Brussels! Thanks!

francophile03 Jun 4th, 2005 02:46 PM

Coincidentally I'm thinkig of the same thing as my relative insists on seeing Amsterdam. I think I would like to visit Bruges for at least a couple of days after Amsterdam. From Amsterdam we were thinking of Delft, Volendam, Edam, Zaanse Schans, all about 1/2 hour to an hour away from Amsteram. They are all touristy but that's part of the charm I think! :)

mebe Jun 4th, 2005 02:55 PM

I spent my honeymoon partly in Amsterdam (four days)and Bruges (three days)two years ago. Amsterdam: try the Indonesian food, watch out for bicycles - they have the right-away, tour the church right next to Anne Frank's house (wonderful view of the city), tour the house with the Catholic chapel in the attic, in the Red Light district (sorry, I can't remember the name) and wander and enjoy the city outside of the touristy center. Bruges: the chocolate is truly amazing, make sure to eat as much as possible and the frites sold in the center square were the best yet; beware of getting lost! we spent a lot time wandering in circles. Do the canal tour - you won't hear a word but the views of the houses from the water is magical. Most of the crowds leave in the afternoon leaving it peaceful and calm in the evening, a perfect time to stroll (very romantic, but we were on our honeymoon). Also, make sure to notice how each house has a distinct door nob or stained glass window and impectably clean door step. You can easily enjoy Bruges in one full day; if you have an extra day we loved Quazimoto (sp?) tours (recommended by Rick Steves). It was a great way to see the countryside, learn a lot of history(the tourguide Lode was quite charming and informative) and eat incredible waffles, chocolate and beer. Enjoy your trip!

francophile03 Jun 4th, 2005 03:25 PM

Waffles, chocolate, and beer...just for those three things it would not matter whether you visit Bruges or Brussels!

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 03:30 PM

Thanks for all the tips!
Would you all recommend checking out Antwerp (that's where we arrive)...or just skipping Antwerp for Bruges or Brussels? If only I had more than 4 days in this area! Any other advice on how to spend these 4 days?

francophile03 Jun 4th, 2005 03:34 PM

You know, I heard that Antwerp is really great. I haven't visited but honestly it doesn't look so interesting. I would rather visit Ghent instead of Antwerp.

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 03:58 PM

Hey Franco, I'm sensing that you have a good idea of what to do in Belgium!!!

francophile03 Jun 4th, 2005 04:45 PM

dancingangel, you mean I'll be checking out the waffles, chocolate, and beer? Yes, of course! But I just have been looking at the guidebooks. I've been to Brussels once and wish to see more of Belgium if I can get a chance. Antwerp somehow does not appeal to me, but Bruges and Ghent sure do.

The greatest thing about the Belgian chocolates is that none taste bad. And they are very inexpensive.

uptowngirl2418 Jun 4th, 2005 04:53 PM

I have been to Antwerp, Brussels, Bruges and Amsterdam.
I would spend 3 days in Amsterdam and 1 in Bruges.
Amsterdam is a beautiful city with something for everyone. We took Mike's Bike Tour, Anne Frank house, Van Gogh Museum, open air markets and spent lots of time just wandering around the city. It was interesting to also see the Red Light District, coffee shops, etc. We spent one evening at the Supper Club which is a 5 course meal spanning over 5 hours and eaten in bed.
Bruges was mostly walking around eating chocolate and recovering from Amsterdam. It is a postcard picture on every corner type of town.

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 05:54 PM

How often do the trains run from Amsterdam to Edam or Delft? My email is [email protected] so if anyone could email me in more detail about someof these places, I would greatly greatly appreciate it!!!! Thanks for all of the responses!

dancingangel66 Jun 4th, 2005 05:57 PM

Franco, I just meant that you know more about Belgium than I do...I also had someone recommend Ghent...but then I'vealso heard good things about Antwerp too so I'm just trying to sort out all of the different places! Thanks for all your help though! i appreciate it!