Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you could only take one day trip from MUNICH, where would you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:39 PM
richardab

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Betsy

Salzburg.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:51 PM
richardab

Thats what I thought... <BR> <BR>Why?

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:53 PM
the turnip

Without a doubt Ludwig's fairy tale castle Neuschwanstein near Fussen. For me the views from behind the castle on the walking bridge and even higher up along the trails was worth the money for the airline ticket alone. It was simply stunning. I have a B&W print blown up and framed in the hallway that I took from that little bridge and every time I pass it I wish I was back there. &lt;sigh&gt; <BR> <BR>Cheers, the turnip

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:44 PM
Richard

Another strong vote for Salzburg! Because it is a dramatic small city between a river and a steep promontory. It has a castle-fort with a great view and a fun baroque old town filled with great places to enjoy. No guidedtour with longlines.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:49 AM
pat

The reason why i went to Munchen was for Bier in Oktoberfest and Neuschwanstein. So it is a split decision for you now.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Beth Anderson

Neuschwanstein, or Dachau. You might even be able to do both in a day... <BR> <BR>Salzburg is great too - don't make it a day trip, actually stay there. it is lovely.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 05:14 AM
guy

Garmisch-Partenkirchen..with a stop at the Linderhof Castle perhaps...

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Ed

Neuschwanstein. Nothing like it, and quite suitable for a day trip, as opposed to a visit. <BR> <BR>Include Linderhof in your day's itinerary. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Steve Mueller

Another vote for Neuschwanstein, which is probably the most recognized and photographed structure in Germany.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Javier

First have a look at a picture of Neuschwanstein Castle and you'll probably decide to go there. The outside of it is impressive. The landscape is also impressive but not unique in Bavaria. In case you didn't like that romantic architecture, nor the paintings of Wagnerian opera scenes nor the luxury furniture, you could go to Rotenberg or Nürnberg, with actual middle age buildings. <BR>Schuss. Javier

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:23 PM

to the top

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:10 AM

to the top

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:56 AM
Kate

Hey turnip - how do you get to that little bridge at Neuchwansein? I was there this past June (it was rainy) but i couldnt figure out how to get back there. Can you help me out here? Thanks!

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Art

Hi Kate, although it's been many years, as I remember it there was a path right near the Castle that we followed to get to the bridge. One of the great picture frames ever. <BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 11:05 AM
xxxx

Obberammergau or Rothenburg Ob Taber. The ultimate fairy tale town and the ultimate medieval village, respectively. Not to be missed.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 11:09 AM
John

The bridge: You follow the trail to the "Marianbrucke" (sp?) It splits off from the main trail to the Castle, about where the tousist busses park at the top! I find it a better experiene than going in for the tour.!! <BR>JOHN

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:09 PM

to the top

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:44 AM
rob

Buy a map, rent a car early in the morning, and drive into the Alps to Neuschwanstein and Linderhof. With a car you can easily see both in one day. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg is great, but not for a day trip from Munich. Too far.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Steve Mueller

The Neuschwanstein bus drops you off at a trail that branches left and right. The left trail leads to the castle, the right trail leads to the bridge (Marienbrucke).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -