Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you could go shopping in Paris tomorrow-what would you buy?

Mar 11th, 2002, 04:28 PM
KS

Other posts have me thinking that it would be fun to just imagine I could go and buy anything I want....what would that be????

Mar 11th, 2002, 04:30 PM
mom

I would go to Montmarte and have my and my husbands portrait painted.Even if it was bad, it would be a great momento of our time in Paris.

Mar 11th, 2002, 04:38 PM
andi

The brightly-colored leather backpacks that I regret not buying last visit at Galeries Lafayette, 2 1/2 years ago. Luckily, I will be there in April, and will buy at least one then (assuming they're still in style - anyone know?)

Mar 11th, 2002, 04:43 PM
kc

Mariage Frers teas and candles.Lots of them.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Sue

Herve Chapelier bags, different sizes, colors.

Mar 11th, 2002, 05:26 PM
MamaMia

Leather handbags from the shop at the corner of the rue Buci and the rue Dauphin; anything from Fauchon; gifts for friends from the Musée d'Orsay and the gift shop at La Conciergerie; makeup and nail polish for my teenage daughters at Monprix; fine papers and notebooks from any of the beautiful; cheeses from La Maison du Fromage on the rue Mouffetard; chocolate from Tartine et Chocolat, 24, rue de la Paix; stationery stores in the 6me; great perfumes from Sephora, bread from Poilane, but mostly Paris is not about what I bring home, which we consume almost immediately in an insane longing to be back there, but about the sights and sounds and smells around me as I traverse her venerable streets and the desire to be able to find a way to conserve those sensory moments until we get back again, which is never soon enough,even though we are lucky enough to go at least once a year.

Mar 11th, 2002, 06:18 PM
John G

I would go to Carvet and buy some nice silk ties. I would skip Fauchon because I think it is highly overrated except for the take-out pastries and foie gras. The jams and coffee and tea are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. I think I would also go to Tati and buy a cheap outfit just for the fun and experience of it all. I just love to shove and push and scream at the discount rack. Get out of my way, bitch.

Mar 11th, 2002, 06:20 PM
John G

Oh, I mean Charvet. I shouldn't have drunk that bottle of La Tache.

Mar 11th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Shopping

An orange Birkin at Hermes, lots of Porthault candles (and that new black Diptyque candle that I can't find here) and a big bag of macaroons from Ladure.

Mar 11th, 2002, 07:17 PM
kate

Oh Mama- you are a true shopper!
And sad but true, you can bring these things home, but you can't bring home Paris...so we will just have to keep going back over and over again!
I would like to fill my house with dried rose potpourri that I found in a little side street near the Angelinas,they never lose their scent..

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:12 AM
xxx

CHANEL!!!what else is there???????? and also some packaged ready made crepes, mine never seem to come out of the pan.

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:29 AM
sherwin

Some more of the wonderful hand made paint brushes I bought last year in a home decorating/paint store in the Marais district. They are the best brushes I have ever used to paint my interior walls, plus they are just so handsome, all smooth wood and nice copper fittings. You sure won't find these at True Value, Ace, or WalMart my friends.

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:13 AM
s.fowler

Where to start....

Well some mustards that have expiration dates .. you *can* tell the diff...

Probably I'd like to get a very chic suit and a couple of lovely silk blouses too -- not too constructed or mini and not necessarily "big name" -- just *nice*

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:58 AM
elle

I AM going shopping in Paris tomorrow!!(En verite, the day after tomorrow).

The things I hope to buy are probably a little odd--I want to get a new martingale for my dog and a snazzy collar for my cat sitter's dog. Also want to visit A. Simon for some pastry accoutrements. And there's a new Biotherm moisturizer that's not available in the states yet, so I hope to pick that up as well.

And much, much more. . . I'll be celebrating my birthday while I'm there and so I'll get to pick out my own present from my husband!

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:03 AM
c

My dog sitter loves it when I bring back something for her from our travels.Last trip upstate, I bought a lovely picture frame, with little dogs on it, when in Paris, I got her all kinds of tea scented candles from Mariage Freres..I think someone with a lot of dogs around the house,can use a scented candle now and then

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:24 AM
MaryC

Ah, KS, good to see you! And mom, as well (this is mom of the 2 buys?).

Mmmm - tea-scented Mariage Freres candles do sound ever so lovely!

But I'm a scarf girl myself. I'd go to Hermes to buy the newest and then go to Accessories et Soie (is that right?) to collect all the Hermes scarves I could in hues of blue!

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Therese

Marrons glaces, Arche shoes, and clothes for my daughter at Du pareil au meme (my favorite inexpensive shop for kids).

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
mom

No MaryC-this is Mom of Adam.

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:44 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

Elle- Can you explain "want to visit A. Simon for some pastry accoutrements"? I have a week to go and then we are there. Yea. I am going to try the mustard that S Fowler mentions and Cocoa Barry dark chocolate pistoles for baking and look for the Herve Chapelier bags. Any other suggestions?

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Jim P

For those who love to cook, a visit to E. Dehillerin, 18 & 20 rue Coquilliere in Les Halles, to purhase fine copper cookery is heaven. Budget extra time--it's hard to walk out the door!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO