Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you could fly business class to Italy............

Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
as

If you could fly from the east coast to Italy in business class what airline would you choose?

Who offers the best business class service in your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:43 AM
aaaa

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Paul

no brainer - delta business elite

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:21 AM
Uncel Sam

I agree with Paul, Delta Business Elite is the winner hands down.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:50 AM
Wayne

I don't know how many other airlines these other folks have flown, but I have been in business class on Alitalia, US Airways, Air France, British Airways, Delta, and Swissair, and I'd say there isn't a whit of real difference among all of them. One of the only distinguishing features might be the passenger lounges, and even in that subject it's hard to find a lot of difference. If I had to make a final choice among all of them, I'd probably take US Airways because the seating space and features seem to be among the best.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Anne

Continental's Business First is a cut above other B-classes I've flown.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Jason

Have flown many times to Europe & have found Continental's Business First service to be un-equaled by their competition. In addition I understand that their Business First seats are being upgraded to provide even more comfort (such as the addition of extra reclining ability)& amenities

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Atsa Moray

Hands down, Continental's Business First is the best. They pioneered the concept of merging First and Buisiness into a single legel of service (because businessmen could get authorization for business but not first class travel!) and are consistently rated tops in this class of travel. They have a fleet of 777's that are about the best there is in terms of configuration, and the service is consistently excellent. I believe they fly into Rome, but be sure it is a flight operated by Continental and not a codeshare with Alitalia.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Jealous

OK, so you say Continental is best? Why? What are the specific features that make them better?

Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:31 AM
Mikey

Airlines fly similar aircraft & offer first or business first seating. What puts one above the other is SERVICE!
And service is a reflection of employee attitude which is many times the result of treatment by management.
Those airlines that have treated their employees poorly & have gone "down to the wire" before a strike was averted have an "attitude problem" causing the alienation of their business passengers.
Just check for yourself to see which airline gets the most recent frequent flyer awards voted on by business passengers!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:17 PM
richardab

I just flew to Europe on Lufthansa in Biz class and I thought it was great. The flight attendants were very friendly (yes, they were) and the food was top rate. I also think that Lufthansa has good seats. Lufthansa also has a great track record of getting you there on time.

I have also flown Air France and I think they are great. Good food and great wine.

United Airlines is also good, but a bit more simple.

By the way, don't bother to buy a biz class ticket for inter-eurpope travel! It is not the same as here in the USA. On all of my inter Europe trip the only perks i see are more food (and gross at that) and use of lounges. Otherwise the seating is the same as in coach with no extra space or legroom.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:18 PM
Itsa Meagin

Jealous-
echoing a prior post, a major factor is the service - Continental is something of a legend among American carriers for having gone from worst to first (which also happens to be the title of CEO Gordon Bethne's book about the process) and a large part of that was achieved by treating employees fairly. Happier employees = better service.
Also they listen to, and even elicit input from their customers and staff when desiging plane configurations as well as their inflight services. The BusinessFirst seats set the standard with which other airlines compete, and they've just been improved even more. Inflight food is terrific - not just OK, but really good! - as is thier wine list, and they offer you the option to have it served all at once so you can sleep, or to linger and enjoy the service. Staff are friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Planes are clean, on time performance is good and to top it all off, they usually have good deals.
BTW, I am NOT an employee, just a very satisfied customer who (prior to their turnaround) avoided CO like the plague.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Rex

I agree that it is service that accounts for some of the difference, though the worst business class service I've ever seen is still worth my frequent flyer miles, especially when flying with someone else who feels like they would not tolerate coach class well. Part of the fun of business class is the sharing, the smugness (I hate to admit it), the feeling of "ain't life grand?"

I have only flown business class about seven one way trips; once JFK-BCN (I don't actually remember the airline; an unexpected one-way bump-up), once one-way on NW, DTW-AMS (client paid); roundtrip Delta, ATL-ZRH (FF upgrade with inlaws); one-way, USair to MUC (bump-up due to re-scheduling us) and roundtrip, NW, DTW-FCO (for an incredible bargain fare of $900, with inlaws again).

This most recent trip was the one where I observed the lowest flight attendant ratio I have ever seen: 2 or 3 flight attendants for a cabin of 24, fully loaded (2-2-2, 4 rows). It was still satisfactory, but reduced from previous business class travel. And surely the wave of the future.

Plastic champagne glasses on boarding too.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:27 PM
topper

topping

Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:28 PM
xxx

Try Air France, British Airways or Lufthansa. Their service is much better than any American owned airline.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
Kay

Delta Business Elite is great! I have flown it to Europe 3 times. I understand Continental is great too, they do fly more 777's, but when trying to book it, I couldn't get a flight with my flyer miles or I would have tried it. I would pick the one with the best route to your destination.

Mar 24th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Carin

We paid for coach, but were given business class seating on Lufthansa. It was fantastic! The service and the food were superb.

Mar 24th, 2002, 10:54 PM
aa flyer

Oh my, I'm stuck on American (business class) - should I cancel?

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:39 AM
ASSSSSS

TOPPER