If you are going to London..

Jul 31st, 2007, 06:15 AM
nbujic

If you are going to London..

you might be familiar with some of this , but just in case:

The floods have left many areas (and people) in bad shape. Don't count on visiting Oxford or Windsor.

- a single tube/bus fare is 4 POUNDS!
buy a day pass ( zone 1 and 2 unlimited tube/bus) for 5.10
- the best deal is 7 day Oyster card for 23 pounds NO deposit required.

Although most museums and galleries are free we did spend a few pounds :

the Westminster Abby 10
Churchill's Museum 11
Dali and Film at Tate Modern 11
return ticket to Bath 50

You'll find award winning pub food in a totally non-touristy pub called WINDMILL
on Mill street ( a small street of Maddox - between Bond and Regent Street half way south from Oxford Street).Closed weekends.

Off the beaten path: if you are in Paddington train station, look for a sign to "little Venice". We stayed in this very charming and different area on two canals ( more like little Amsterdam - many house boats) with some lovely homes, and a few restaurants on the water.

Jul 31st, 2007, 06:35 AM

Buy an Oyster Card regardless of how long your stay is. You get the benefit of lower fares everywhere, and the daily "cap" is £4.60 - or £3 if you only use buses.

A 7-day Travelcard loaded on Oyster is economical from about 5 days and up (4 days if you use the Tube to get back and forth to Heathrow).
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM

Why on earth should you "not count on going to Oxford"?

And where anywhere near London have the floods left anyone or anything in bad shape?
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:56 AM
nbujic

"Why on earth should you "not count on going to Oxford"?

And where anywhere near London have the floods left anyone or anything in bad shape?"

no one said anything about LONDON.
When we were in London a few days ago the trains to Oxford and Reading have been canceled several times because of flooding
Why on earth would anyone wish to go there?

Jul 31st, 2007, 07:04 AM

"no one said anything about LONDON"

Only the title of this collection of wrong information:

The floods within 60 miles of London abated days ago. That's what floods invariably do, and posting information about them on the basis of ancient experience is downright unhelpful.

Trains between Oxford and London are now running normally.
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:08 AM
nbujic

"The floods within 60 miles of London abated days ago. That's what floods invariably do, and posting information about them on the basis of ancient
experience is downright unhelpful"

We returned yesterday!

The BBC must have been showing reports from Bangladesh for the last 2 weeks!

Jul 31st, 2007, 07:19 AM
nbujic

only to illustrate my point:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/6923549.stm

Jul 31st, 2007, 07:51 AM
nbujic

forgot to mention the PROMS at the Albert Hall - great music and fun from 5 pounds ( standing).

Jul 31st, 2007, 07:57 AM

nbujic: That is totally ridiculous. You may have "returned yesterday!" - but flanner LIVES in the very center of the area you are talking about.

that bbc link says "hundreds of homes" -- out of hundreds of thousands of homes. Yes - the floods were bad for those affected - but they are over and many places were totally unaffected
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:09 AM
nbujic

That is totally ridiculous. You may have "returned yesterday!" - but flanner LIVES in the very center of the area you are talking about.

I don't care where the person lives - they may find it just fine !
I would not tell people to visit a place
like this ON THEIR HOLIDAYS !

"Hundreds of homes across Berkshire and Oxfordshire were affected by torrential rain, which caused many rivers - including the Thames - to overflow.

The Environment Agency has downgraded all its flood warnings for the area but a number of flood watches remain.

Most people who were forced out of their homes by the rising water have now been able to return.

Although in these extreme events we can't always stop the floodwater, we can warn people in advance

Colin Candish, regional flood risk manager, said: "Although the water has stabilised and begun to recede from most of the affected properties, there is still much work to be done.

"We have staff out on the ground every day visiting the affected areas to offer advice on how to recover from the distress of a flood."

Jul 31st, 2007, 09:16 AM

It is interesting to note the difference in perceptions between this post and a previous one titled: Day 4 Of The Big Flood
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:20 AM

Ii think this thread gives a good overview

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35040114
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:21 AM

Um, I made it to London from Oxford just fine on Saturday(well the coach broke down, but that's another story) and back very late Saturday night and had no problem. The coaches are running with no problems. I don't get why everyone thinks you can only take the train. I know that had problems from Oxford to Dicot Parkway last week (which is the train route to London) but I think it's totally fine now. In any event, I am living proof that you can get to/from Oxford and London just fine.
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM

And to Windsor. I was there yesterday and it's packed with the usual summer tourist hordes.
Those of us living in Windsor, Eton and Maidenhead were/are largely protected by the Jubilee River, a manmade river designed to handle Thames overflow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_River

Sometimes it pays to have the Queen as a neighbor ;-)

Note: there are also those who basically say the JR is crap and just passes the flooding to someone else. http://www.jubileeriver.co.uk/

Search this Thread