Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you are better than I am with French road maps please help me

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Bob

I am having a big problem with finding the best and least stressful way to get from CDG to Attainville which is a small town somewhere on a route D104. Anyone to the rescue? We will have a rental car. Thanks

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:09 PM
StCirq

Bob:

Go to www.mappy.com and plug in Aeroport Charles de Gaulle Roissy, then Attainville under "Itineraire" and you'll get maps and the shortest route.

Then get a good large-scale map of the environs of Paris so you can follow the route aas you drive.

It seems you don't even need to get on the périphérique, which is something of a blessing. You just go into the town of Roissy, where the airport is located and take off from there.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:27 AM
PB

Another tip for driving here in France... don't look for route numbers when you're driving. Plan you route according to the town and city names in the direction, and past the town, you're headed - it's so much easier. Town and city names are posted everywhere - the road numbers are very small, yellow squares atop the poles with the town names. And there can be several roads with the same number - not necessarily connecting either.

PB

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:18 AM
JOdy

also try www.viamichelin.com

It will give you exact directions, by best, shortest most scenic..whichever you choose...use them all the time going from point to point when we don't want to get lost. Getting lost is rather part of the fun on just drive around days, though!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:01 AM
David McCahan

Bob, I can't refrain from asking why you're going to Attainville? The reason I ask is that if you're going to a hotel they ought they ought to be able to provide excellent directions as CDG is only 14 miles from them. Likewise if you're visiting friends or family, the proximity of the airport to the town is such that the best routes should be known to those who live there.

My mapping program shows several options but it goes down to the left turn in 60 feet level and is too detailed for your purposes.

Send me an e-mail if you're still having trouble finding the best route.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Francie

Try out this website also.

http://www.shellgeostar.com

This, too, will give you a wealth of information.
Francie