Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   If we drive Amalfi Coast in June will we spend the trip looking for parking (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/if-we-drive-amalfi-coast-in-june-will-we-spend-the-trip-looking-for-parking-888788/)

mp413 Apr 30th, 2011 01:21 PM

If we drive Amalfi Coast in June will we spend the trip looking for parking

I am going to spend a week with my parents around the Amalfi Coast from May 27-June 4. We wanted to rent a car and drive around that way, but I have heard that you can spend the entire day just looking for parking in Positano. We like more off-the-beaten-path kind of places, so we were thinking of sleeping in Atrani or Amalfi town, and driving to Positano, Ravello, etc. for day trips. Is that doable at that time of year?

If it's not, what is the alternative? I know a lot of guides recommend staying in Sorrento and taking boats from there, but Sorrento didn't sound particularly interesting to us.

Really appreciate any advice!

thanks,

mp413

JoyC Apr 30th, 2011 01:54 PM

That period is not too busy along the Coast. If you start fairly early, say 10am, I think you will still find parking {along the road} in Positano.

We have stayed in Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi on several trips to the AC. Staying in Positano, we didn't have any problem parking because our hotel took care of it. The only time we had difficulty finding parking was when we were based in Sorrento and took a trip to Ravello, stayed till lunch and then went to Positano. By the time we arrived, all parking places were full. But that was mid-afternoon already.

I don't see any reason why you can't stay in either Atrani or Amalfi and go on a day-trip to Positano.

nytraveler Apr 30th, 2011 06:38 PM

You will not spend the entire day looking for parking - but you will have to look. As long as you are good at parallel parking (in spaces very little larger than the car - parking on either side since many streets are one way) you should have no problem. We have done this a couple of times and never spend more than 15 minutes looking for a place to park.

mp413 May 1st, 2011 02:01 AM

Ok great this is very encouraging, thanks!

A_Brit_In_Ischia May 1st, 2011 02:42 AM

And, in Amalfi at least, things may be a little better than in previous years!

http://www.incampania.com/en/focus.cfm?Info_ID=1842

Peter

qwovadis May 1st, 2011 03:22 AM

Positano can get VERY crowded was just there

in APRIL and folks were packed in like sardines

parking VERY difficult to find I have been in June

it is chock a block usually is this year seems very bad

Thankfully escaped to the nearby Masa Lubrense and

www.hoteldelfino.com booked for $60/nt Otel.com

Chose to upgrade to a sea view for 10 euros per person

My suite had AWESOME views/balcony room over Capri/Ischia

Best breakfast FREE of my entire trip there

Amalfi(cliffs no island view) so might venture off the

very crowed beaten path head there parking free and easy.

Playing tag with multiple giant buses on Amalfi coast

road can be very scary so exercise caution always.

Happy Planning,

jelopez33 May 1st, 2011 04:52 AM

MP413:
In my opinion,much better to take the SITA bus,will take you to any place on the A.C. and to Sorrento if you like.No problems with parking,and if you like,you can buy a multi day pass.We were there in september 2009; driving is not impossible,but seems a little stressing and of course,the driver didn't enjoy the landscape!!!Have a nice trip!!!(if you want you can read my report by clicking on my name).

greg May 1st, 2011 06:36 AM

I think you need to understand what it means by parking available along the road in Positano. I was there in April last year and cars were parked on this narrow road hugging the cliff perhaps one km out of Positano in both directions! I think someone recommended a paid parking space.

mp413 May 12th, 2011 12:27 PM

Hi all, I am topping this because we are just totally stuck on the fence about whether or not toe rent a car. We would be parking in:

Sorrento (2 nights): hotel has paid parking for us
Amalfi (3 nights): hotel has paid parking for us
Positano (1 night): we're on our own

A couple of considerations: we want to drive to Ravello, Cetara, and possibly Atrani for dinner. I know the buses run but obviously it's a little more convenient to be able to come and go as you please rather than standing around waiting for buses in uncertain weather.

Some questions:

1) How crowded are the buses and ferries this time of year (meaning 2 weeks from now)? Will we be waiting in lines long? I know some people mentioned on the buses you sometimes can't even get a seat, I'm assuming that wouldn't be the case this early in summer, am I wrong?

2) Everyone talks about the difficult of the drives, which is a major consideration, but we're only talking about Sorrento to Amalfi, Amalfi to Positano, Positano to Sorrento, with a couple of late afternoon/evening trips to Cetara and Ravello. Is it really that difficult?

3) How is parking in Ravello, Cetara, and Atrani, where we would possibly be going for day trips/dinner?

4) With ferries do you need to book in advance, or can you just walk on a few mins before departure time? Or do we have to go early, wait in line, to get tickets?

Thanks a lot for the help...we're just split right down the middle on what to do here. I really just want whatever option will give my parents the least grief! My mom is all about the public transport, my dad the car, so I get the thankless job of tiebreaker :))

mp413

mp413 May 12th, 2011 12:33 PM

Oh and p.s. we fully understand that parking may come at exorbitant costs, we will not be those people who are parked several kms out of town on a narrow road, we'll bite the bullet and take the paid parking garage. The question is, do they exist where we'll need them, and will they have space!