Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If UK tourism is suffering, why isn't that reflected in London hotel prices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:15 PM
dinah

I'm trying to find a decent hotel in London for a short December stay. <BR> <BR>I've read a good bit about how UK tourism has suffered this year, with even London tourism down (eg, Andrew Lloyd-Webber blamed the close of his play The Beautiful Game on disappointing sales due in part to the lack of US ticket-buyers). <BR> <BR>So why are London hotels still so expensive? Don't hoteliers want to lure us back? Or should I forget about special deals or bargains in London?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Liz

Just because UK travel is down, doesn't mean London travel is down. I don't think there's much hoof and mouth IN London!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:20 PM
dinah

Thanks for your input Liz, but as I said, I've read enough to suggest that travel to London IS down for the year. <BR> <BR>Besides, are you telling me there are no pigs in London?!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:27 PM
kam

We have just returned from London last Saturday. For two weeks we visited a very quiet Yorkshire and Northumberland where all hotel owners told us they had had a disasterous year. There was a second outbreak of foot and mouth while we were there and people are most depressed. When we arrived in London last Friday it was like arriving in a totally different country. I'm sure that tourism is down in general but not to the extent that we saw up north. Many London hotels are offering low rates, many with the note that "due to foot and mouth disease...." London remains a very expensive city, as Paris, New York, San Francisco are, but I think if you look closely, you will find some reasonable prices. I'm sure rates will go even lower in December.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:35 PM
dinah

Thank you too, kam. Reading your poignant post about the tragedy hoof-and-mouth has brought to rural areas reminds me of how awful this has been for so many. I can't forget the terrible reason for the slump in tourism; believe me when I say I'm not simply an opportunistic bargain-hunter. <BR> <BR>(And thanks for the encouragement on prices.)

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Beth

Hi Dinah, London is one of my favorite cities in the world, but it is also one of the most expensive I've been to for accommodation. Nonetheless, if you get lucky you may be able to find availability at The Vicarage near Kensington Palace, which I strongly recommend. You do have to be able to climb stairs, but it's a lovely and convenient location and comes complete with a full English breakfast. As a woman who usually travels alone to London, a safe/convenient location is especially important to me. Their website is http://londonvicaragehotel.com and all the guidebooks also include them as a recommended budget property, so it can be difficult to get a room, but don't give up! Sometimes you get lucky and they have a cancellation. Next door to them is a similar B&B, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but Vicarage staff can tell you. It offers similar rates and also comes well recommended. Also, across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station is a basic property that offers good rates and clean, but not especially charming, rooms. It's called the Montana Hotel. The rates include VAT and continental breakfast. No bells and whistles here. The staff is okay, but not exceptionally friendly, but the location gets an A+ for location. A lovely grocery store, chip shop, pub, post office, gift/postcard shop, bank with ATM, etc etc, as well as the Tube, are directly across the street. It's also a very short walk to Kensington Palace/Gardens. Windows are double-paned, so the busy street didn't bother me at all during my visit. The Forum Hotel, much more expensive, is also about a block from Montana, if you want a bit more plush. Check here too -- they sometimes offer special deals on accommodations in London: www.londontown.com Enjoy your trip!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:21 PM
ilene

Check out the hotels that are run by chains. You should be able to find some deals there. I was in London in April and found a good deal for Brown's hotel literally the day before when other plans fell through. Do a web search for groups such as "Leading Hotels of the World", "Preferred Hotels", Starwood Group or just check on Expedia and travelocity. You might need to wait another month for hotels to drop their prices and offer packages but keep checking and if you call these hotels/chains/groups ASK if they are running any promotions. If you don't ask, they won't offer it to you. With the US (and Asian) economy in the shape it is in, it seems certain that fewer people will be vacationing this year, especially in a pricey city like London. Even business travel is becoming more budget conscious.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:29 PM
David

Dinah <BR> <BR>December in London is traditionally extremely busy with hordes of tourists coming from continental Europe for shopping. This together with people from the provinces coming into town for shopping and a Show keeps Hotel prices buoyant. You might find deals nearer the time if bookings don’t materialise.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 12:10 PM
Duncan in Sussex

I don't stay in London very often as I live too close, but my daily newspaper often has deals advertised from the Edwardian group for short breaks, some of which may include theatre tickets. I think it would be best to check their website - I don't know it but check one of the search sites and you should find it.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 12:20 PM
Tim

Dinah, <BR>I highly recommend checking B&Bs near Victoria Station. There are several reasonably priced places around there, and you can't beat the location!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:47 PM
Philip

I'm sorry to disappoint Andrew Lloyd-Webber, but I saw The Beautiful Game and I was not impressed with it. It was a dark musical about terrorism in Ireland with a mediocre score. At this moment in time, nobody wants to pay US$70 to watch events that are unfolding in reality.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Shopping

Any buys yet?

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 05:11 PM
x

try Lastminute.com.... amazing bargains, yu just have to know where to look

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 03:09 AM
topper

topping

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:47 AM
xxx

Look into package deals -- there are some OUTSTANDING rates out there right now!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:48 PM
CWC

I think you also have to consider that even "discounted" rates in London are quite high. Many of the Hilton properties are having some great rates compared to what they "normally" charge, unfortunately it still isn't "chaep."

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 03:29 PM
isa

Air Miles are doing a promotion on their website (UK) with a 40% discount off all London Thistle Hotels-They must be doing something similar for international visitors. Even if you are not an airmiles member it is very easy to join!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 03:38 PM
xxxxx

What caused the hoof and mouth anyway? <BR>Anthrax?

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:37 PM
ger

Dinah: <BR> <BR>London hotels are always expensive compared to anywhere! <BR> <BR>I will be in London in two weeks time, on business, and was also a bit surprised at the prices (yet, I am also very encouraged by it - i.e. Business as Usual!). <BR> <BR>I had my travel agent check out South Ken/Knightsbridge area and the rates were, as normal, outrageous! If it helps at all, she got me a "Club Room" at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel for US$140 per night which, given the area and the four star rating, I think quite reasonable (less than half the "internet" rate). By comparison, other 3-4 Star hotels in the area are charging between US$230- US$400 per night. <BR> <BR>I think you can find special deals, Dinah. Perhaps, for December, people have yet to cancel, hotels are still hopeful ..whatever! <BR> <BR>What price range are you looking for and what area? <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:03 PM
mike

I found very good rates at 4 star apts/hotels by emailing the particular establishment. Deep discounts of 40 to 50% off. Even I can afford to go 4 star this trip. ASK (uh, I mean email) and you shall receive. M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -