Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If they filmed Survivor in Europe, where would players find the most hardship?

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Gilligan

OK, Survivor will be with us for a long time. And unless they film it somewhere where contestants have to deal with cannibals, I probably won't watch. I love Europe. It fascinates me. (Yes, I've traveled around the world. But I just prefer Europe.) I'd put the survivors in the Egyptian artifacts exhibit of the Louvre for 19 weeks and see who can last the longest before dying of boredom. Or maybe they could try to catch an airplane out of St. Petersburg. And live on Russian airport food for three months. Any other ideas?

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Rich

In a French restaurant. They could still end up eating a lot of things they normally wouldn't put in their mouths. And if they don't know the language, they could wait a lifetime before getting a check.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:05 AM
Susan

Hey, a regular Walmart/BigK shopper like me would have a tough time in any European capital. Outside of my survivor island tankinia ya' see, my wardorbe is not, how you say?, Euro-friendly. I'd be voted down with just a nod of several heads as I walked down the boulevard/calle/strasse/. Oh well, keep on 'trucking and screw 'em all.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Jeff

The "survivor" tie in turned me off at first. However, as a tongue in cheek look at European travel difficulties, this thread could have some legs. Survivor hardships could include: Trying to find a decent exchange rate in a (you name it) major train station or airport. Correctly interpreting that announcement (in a train station) that causes all of your fellow travelers to groan and scurry away. The maddening game of trying to spend all of that loose change before moving on to the next country. OR you can get into some more horrifying scenarios based on Fodors' cliches, such as: Voting people of the continent if they (a) obsess about what they should wear; (b) pretend to be local; and/or (c) lamenting that "this is not how we do it in the US."

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Cindy

Immunity challenge: contestants must stand near the train station in Italy. They are given an expensive camera, fine jewelry, and a bright yellow purse. Last one to lose it all wins immunity.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 03:01 PM
Kavey

OK, I'll ask...

"What is this survivor of which you speak?"

Ignorant Savage Girl

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 03:17 PM
John

Hah, I knew it. Europe blacked out.

Kavey, "Survivor" was a just-completed summer TV series in which a bunch of people, initially separated into 2 "tribes," were placed on an island in the South China Sea and then culled down to one survivor, who got $1 million, through competitions, covert alliances, and periodic "voting off the island" by their peers. Not unlike "Big Brother," which is also on US summer TV. The "survivors" had to do things like eat grubs or rats, survive endurance or memory tests, and ultimately the judgement of a jury comprised of ex-competitors. It turned out to be more about psychology than endurance, and the winner was a person who was very unpopular with the TV audience. Huge hit in voyeur TV in the US, another production in the works in Oz.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Jayelle

Just FYI, but both the U.S. versions of "Survivor" and "Big Brother" are based on similar programs that aired in Europe first.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:46 PM
sven

"Castaway" begins airing on BBC America the week of Sept. 11.

"In the ultimate Robinson Crusoe survival challenge - 28 adults and 8 children were cast adrift on New Year's Eve 1999 for a whole year on a remote Scottish island. Gale force winds of 120mph make it impossible to remain upright, 40ft waves crash against the rugged coastline cutting it off from the mainland, and the last human inhabitants left 26 years ago leaving the harsh and bleak terrain to a herd of hardy deer and 700 sheep who don't know any better. And the prize money for those that survive the challenge? There isn't any." Info source: BBCAmerica.com

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:30 AM
Jenna

Survivor is based on a Swedish show. In fact, one of the first contestants on that show voted off the island committed suicide, apparantly due from the trauma of being voted off. That's why the American producers made sure each castaway voted off in the recent show were given a psychiatric evaluation the night they got the boot!