IES in Freiburg, Germany

Jan 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

IES in Freiburg, Germany

Has anyone here studied with the IES International University program in Freiburg, Germany? My daughter is planning to leave in August and spend all next year in that program. Because her college recognizes the program but doesn't plan it, we have vague information at this point. Any tips or suggestions or impressions? We have to book her travel ourselves...route tips? Which airport is best? (Stuttgart?) I truly appreciate any ideas. Its my BABY!!
Jan 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM

I don't know anything about IES, but I have visited Freiburg, and I think it's a wonderful city. It's full of students and has a beautiful cathedral and a lovely square called the Münsterplatz. There are lots of cultural opportunities. The climate is especially mild on account of warm air currents that come up from the Mediterranean through the Burgundy Gap.

Have you considered using the airport at Basel? It was recommended as the most convenient airport when I went to Staufen, a lovely town (which I hope your daughter will visit) near Freiburg. There's a bus which runs between the Basel/Mulhouse airport and Freiburg.
Jan 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response and the great info, Pegontheroad!!
Jan 2nd, 2006, 02:48 AM

Hi AuntAnnie,

As Pegontheroad put it: "I think itīs a wonderful city". Freiburg citizens know this for sure. Do some google research on it, and you will find out why.

Freiburg i. Brsg. (i.e. im Breisgau, a region in Southern Badenia) is also a good base for traveling in Germany (river Rhine area, Black Forest and Lake Constance area), France (Alsace, Paris) and Switzerland (Basel, Zürich).

Frankfurt Airport (FRA) is the main hub for intercontinental fligts to Germany. You ca go from Frankfurt to Freiburg by train, a ride of two hours. Check out at www.bahn.de.

Practical hint: ISIC (International Student Identity Card) is the key to many advantages offered for students.

Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, hhildebrandt.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM

The climate is mild relatively speaking. Aside from the high mountain areas, neighboring Alsace is one of the coldest places in France.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM

I haven't heard about this program, but have visited Freiburg (im Breisgau) and loved it! The city is beautiful and the people very friendly. I should note that I stayed with friends who live there, so I was able to meet a lot of people - from the University including -outside of the tourist circle. I think your daughter will really enjoy her stay there.
Jan 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hi Aunt Annie. I studied with the IES Freiburg program for the year long program. It was fantastic! Email me at [email protected] and we can chat more about it.
Jan 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because my son is looking into the possibility of studying in Freiburg this summer. About the bus from the Basel airport to Freiburg -- Is it non-stop? How would you get information on its schedule? Best way to get to Basel from the West Coast? Does the train from Frankfurt leave from the Frankfurt airport? Thanks very much!