Identify the owner of this apartment in the 6th Arr

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identify the owner of this apartment in the 6th Arr

(or a reputable agency that handles it)

http://www.parisattitude.com/apartme...umProduit=6031

I found this listing with ParisAttitude.com, and it appears quite magical indeed. Then I researched ParisAttitude & read lots of terrible things about the firm. So . . . I'm guessing that if this apartment really is a rental, it's probably listed someplace else as well. Supposedly it's on Rue de l'Echaude. I'd love to find the owner because after what I've read, I'd never go thru ParisAttitude. Thanks, as always . . .
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 12:00 AM

Did you try looking for it on www.vrbo.com or www.homeaway.com? They're the same company.

I know the street that that apartment is on quite well, as I've stayed a few steps away for decades. I looked at a listing for an apartment on the same street. It's a tiny, alley type of street and at the corner of it and rue Jacob is the Jerome Dreyfuss handbag boutique. I eat half a block down that street, nearly daily, when in Paris.The street name changes on the part of the street where the restaurant is where I eat. It's should be very quiet as the street is so small.

Happy Travels!
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM

I couldn't find it listed anywhere and I'm pretty good at that kind of search.

If you don't like Parisattitude for some reason, you wouldn't like the owner anyway, as the main issue with them you could have would probably be with the owner. I read a few negative reviews about the agency none of which were alarming to me (on tripadvisor or Rick Steves). Usually folks complaining about a particular owner on them or complaining about the agency fee which is typical. But I haven't used them, so have no personal experience. I've read a couple folks on here who did and liked them fine (Patrick for one and someone else who had an apt over in the 10th). But I don't know what all you've read about them, maybe worse than I saw.

They do have a high security fee, though, I'll agree with that and wouldn't like it. I used another similar agency where everything went fine and they had the same fee, though.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

I've read a ton of horrible stories - AFTER I'd located this swell place, of course. I believe the bulk of them were on TripAdvisor; major league bait-and-switch scams and much, much more. These were not, "I really didn't like the owner" types of thing. It was *all* about the agency. One person was told to fax them a copy of her Passport(!?) as well as the front & back of her credit card. Hello? What else can I say? I can't emphasize it enough, if only to save someone the pain that many others have been through.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

One more thing - forgot to thank you, Christina, for taking the time to research this for me. I'm sure you *are* good at this sort of thing & I really, really appreciate it
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM

www.girlsguidetoparis.com also has some words about Paris Attitude and they aren't favorable. And over on tripadvisor, there is plenty talk about them. I personally wouldn't deal with them as there are so many other ways to get an apartment. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:08 AM

I booked this apartment with Paris Attitude for 10 days in April 2009.

http://www.parisattitude.com/apartme...umProduit=3736

I had absolutely no problems with the agency. They replied promptly to all emails and sent documents (rental agreements, etc) with no fuss. The agency fee was steep, but it was worth it! The apartment was FABULOUS- exactly as it appeared in the photos, with the amazing view of the Pantheon. The owner of the apartment was an absolute delight (who lives there and moves out to other accomodation when it is rented) and when our flight date was changed by the airlines, she allowed us to stay an extra day. I was concerned about the large security deposit but she was happy to negotiate to make this easier for us.
I will definitely stay there again if we can when we go to Paris later this year.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM

The descrition f that apt is rather misleading. It says the apt is 2 steps away from Luxembourgh Gardens...2 steps if you are wearing 7 league boots prehaps!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM

The description says 5 mins from the Luxembourg Gardens and two steps from the Pantheon - it was just around the corner, but not literally two steps!
I think this is probably a translation from the French expresssion a deux pas - literally, two steps, meaning close by
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM

JCSYDNEY

I was talking about the apt Clarin linked in the original post. It is just about at the corner or Rue Jacob and Rue de Seine...way more than 2 steps to LG!!
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>One person was told to fax them a copy of her Passport(!?) as well as the front & back of her credit card. Hello?</i>"

Not to defend Paris Attitude, but those two complaints aren't anything to be concerned about really.

Some owners/agencies ask for either a passport number or a copy of the photo page, and they probably wanted the back of the cc to get the security number. I've had one owner ask for that - but I just phoned them w/ cc number and security code # and that was all they needed.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM

I faxed a copy of my passport to the Parisian rental agency I used, that isn't unusual. I think they need it to make sure you are legit and for registration with the city or something. The copy of the CC is to avoid fraud, also, in comparison to people who steal CC numbers but don't have a real card. If anything, that makes them more legit in my eyes. They are registered with the city, it isn't some bogus agency. I may have faxed the copy of my CC, also, the the one I used whcih was very similar (lodgis.fr).

I don't know about the bait and switch thing. If you want to rent a particular apt., they contact the owner and they say it is free or not. If not, maybe they suggested something else or the owner did. Hard to say. Well, you can move on to another agency if you don't like them, there are plenty out there, after all.

It's an agency registered with the city with insurance, etc. a lot of places renting apartments don't have those credentials (including private owners).

Professional card n° T9852 Guaranty by Lloyds - Professional insurance Segap - Company registration: RCS Paris B 439 328 410 - APE 703A