Northern Italy - September, 2016

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our 20th Anniversary, we are visiting Italy this fall. We have been to Italy before – but this time we are traveling strictly in the northern part of the country. I am looking for suggestions that can make our trip better. This is what I have so far. Much of it was planned after reading John183’s review from a few years ago. Thanks John!

Venice - 3 nights - Al Teatro B & B
Drive t Parma - 2 nights - Pio B & B, Full day Food tour booked Drive to Treiso - 4 nights – Agriturismo Ada Nada, visit wineries, maybe a day trip to Torino
Drive to Bellagio - 2 nights – Borgo Le Terrazze
Drive to Varenna -3 nights - Hotel Olivido, Day trip on Bernina Express to Switzerland
Drive to Milan -1 night First Hotel – drop off bags, drop off car at MXP, take shuttle
Into Milan to see Doumo and have dinner

Some questions I have: What car rental do you recommend in Venice? Can I buy a European GPS in Venice? What restaurants would you recommend in any of these places? Does anyone have any favorite wineries they have visited? Everyone is always so helpful. I look forward to all your comments.

Lyn
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:20 PM

In Parma, have a meal at La Forchetta, a gelato at the little shop behind the Duomo, where they fashion cones in the shape of a rose.

From Varenna I suggest a day trip to Bergamo.

Read this about driving in Italy:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:34 PM

Sounds great but not sure I'd pack up and move from Bellagio to Varenna as they are so close. Why two places within spitting distance of each other?

How far are you going on the Bernina Express? You could consider taking the bus from St Moritz to Chiavenna but the whole day will be a long time sitting. You need to be enthusiastic to travel into Switzerland on a day trip from Lake Como.

Second the suggestion to visit Bergamo - a lovely town.
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Be aware that you cannot use a car IN Venice. Within Venice, you move by walking or by vaporetto (waterbus). However, when you leave, you can rent a car at Piazzale Roma or Mestre train station. Some rental car companies offer rentals only from the airport.

Since you seem to be just two persons, any car would do. The smaller the car the easier to park it and to navigate it through narrow streets. However, if you are a tall person, you might prefer a slightly larger car. Also, in the small cars, the trunk may not be large enough to hold two suitcases so that you have to place one the back seats where it is visible from the outside. Intermediate cars have trunks which are large enough for two suitcases. But on the websites, they usually display with little pictograms how many pieces fit into the trunk.

Most rental car companies offer GPS at extra cost - they offer it during the process of booking.

However, my iPhone works beautifully in Europe. What you need is a holder to fix it to the windscreen and an adapter for the cigarette lighter. Both things are cheap, probably cheaper than the daily fee for a GPS rental.
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM

In Venice we love the Bistrot de Venise, old recipies.

When you rent your car, don't forget most rentals are manual cars in Europe.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

RonZ - both suggestions sound great! My husband loves gelato!!
I will look up Bergamo wonderful info on driving!

dreamon - we could not get Hotel Olivido for all 5 nights in Varenna so we split it up between the two. We wanted Varenna for the ease of taking the Bernina Express. We'll just go to St. Moritz. The train ride sounds lovely with lots of scenery. I have to do more research ( or get help here ) on the logistics of it all.

traveler1959 - we are picking up the car at the end of the four days in Venice. My thoughts exactly about the size of the car. But, this plan calls for the rental to be 11 days. My insurance carrier advised me that my personal auto insurance will not cover anything in Italy. Therefore, with all the added fees, the cost is very high.
But, I guess we have no choice - I'm sure we will be stopping along the drive and I am worried about "exposed" luggage.

Whathello - wrote the restaurant down - thanks! Yes, we both drive stick.

Has anyone been to La Fenice? Is it worth it? What about Ristorante de Raffaelle?
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 12:16 PM

We did a northern italy 2 week+ trip a few years ago but our route was venice, cortina, bolzano, riva del garda, milan, verona and back to venice. Not sure what your plans are in Milan but the Duomo and Last Supper are key. Make your reservations in advance for the Last Supper; tickets are rarely available the 'day of'. our favorite restaurant in Milan is Cuccina Piccolo. Its tiny, a bit out of the way but easy on public transit and excellent.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 05:22 AM

I just found this after seeing your post on my old trip report. I'm glad you found some of it helpful in planning your trip. Sounds like you have a great trip planned - wish I was going!

Regarding cars rentals in Venice, we used Avis mostly because my friend rented it and he likes Avis. I recently used AutoEurope in France (ended up with a car from Europcar) and was happy with it. I bought a Garmin GPS with Europe maps here at home (about $150) and it worked great in France and Italy. Sorry but I can't help with wineries in that area and I did not get the names of the restaurants we ate at. We just usually picked some place that felt right (we looked at the posted menus and the ambiance) and the food was almost always good.

Like I said I wish we were going back. We had a great time when we were there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Android phone works great with the Here app and local maps down loaded, basically for free. GPS just an extra pain in the car to lose.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

John183 - Really love your reports! As for the Garmin, can you give me a little more info - I have searched everywhere and cannot find a Garmin or TomTom that is pre-loaded with Europe maps under $250. I even considered waiting until I got to Venice to buy one, but there isn't a dealer in Venice proper and I don't want to waste my vacation running around looking for one.

VeraSperanza - Thanks! I will check them out!

bilboburgler - not a fan of using my phone. Screen too small, have to hold in your hand etc. But, it is very possible I may be stuck with that. so thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:39 AM

Interesting, I don't hold it (illegal anyway) and I don't look at the screen of my built in car GPS, just listen.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

bilboburgler - I hear you - but have you heard the saying 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'? If I wasn't looking at that screen I would probably wind up in Turkey-lol
I do appreciate the suggestion.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:31 AM

Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:35 AM

Bergamo as two levels, the lower is on the flat just up from the railway station and is easy to drive into, has most of the commercial restaurants while the upper is built onto a hill, access is tough (I took the elevator thing) and the views from the top can be good. Not sure how to use a car there.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

bilboburger - I am reading up on Bergamo. I may not have the car after I get to Bellagio. The 11 day rental is almost a mortgage payment. I am a little bummed about it though, because it would have been so easy dropping off luggage rather than getting on and off trains, buses and ferries. If we ditch the car at Torino and take the train and ferry to Bellagio, I'm not sure we will get to Bergamo. But, again thanks for the information.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You buy the Europe map microchip and insert it in the side of the Garmin, remove chip when you leave Europe.Buy at garmin.com.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 03:54 PM

I bought a TomTom for my last trip and loaded it with the Western Europe maps. I like to have something that gives verbal directions since I frequently travel solo. Worked very well for Sicily.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Dayle - May I ask how much the TomTom plus the upload cost?
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 07:06 PM

I bought it about 3 years ago, but I think it was around $150 and the W European maps were around $90, but again that was 3 yrs ago. I've used it since and also loaned it to traveling friends so I feel it was a good value.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 01:56 AM

Lady, did you go with autoeurope or are you booking direct with a big name. I last looked at Northern Italy for car hire the costs of the big brands are silly, you might do better checking with AE you may find lower prices (same hire brands etc) or is the issue you need an automatic, finally have you gone midsize rather than tiny. You'll find midsize is just about useless in many places as it is too big.

In the UK you can buy the extra insurance that Italy needs for about £24 a fortnight, does your home country not offer something like that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -