Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ideas needed for Gifts that are distinctly English (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ideas-needed-for-gifts-that-are-distinctly-english-281078/)

Renee Dec 23rd, 2002 06:26 AM

Ideas needed for Gifts that are distinctly English

I have a friend who will be visiting from England next month. She asked me what I would like for her to bring me and I haven't a clue about what to suggest. I love home accents, pictures, cologne. Since it rains so much in England, a nice sturdy dependable umbrella would be nice! lol<BR><BR>I've never been to England, but I'm pretty sure that I would like something that is distinctly British. Any ideas or suggestions?

Vic Dec 23rd, 2002 06:59 AM

What about some British food - do you drink tea? It depends where she lives, but there's always a Marks and Spencer's store around, or Mothercare if you have kids she can bring clothes over for? Umbrella is a good idea though!

elaine Dec 23rd, 2002 08:25 AM

The company named Floris makes wonderful colognes, soaps, and they are certainly not the norm in the US, although they do have shops in the US.<BR>Many of the scents are specific blossoms.<BR>Everytime I walk in there in NYC I try to pretend I've gone to London for 5 minutes.<BR>Other British personal products are made by Penhaligon, another company, hope I've spelled it correctly.<BR><BR>Harrods and Fortnum and Masons have their own lines of preserves, teas, and other easily portable food products.

Marilyn Dec 23rd, 2002 08:31 AM

How about a lovely china tea pot or cups and saucers. They usually serve the tea so nicely. Yardley makes scents that ou might want to purchase there. M

Mel Dec 23rd, 2002 09:03 AM

I'd go for small, inexpensive things that she can pick up easily (perhaps at the grocery store) and won't take up much room or weight in her luggage, such as<BR>Hob Nobs (ginger with chocolate coating are wonderful--especially dipped in tea)<BR>Ruskeline breading--fabulous for coating fish, chicken or pork before frying.<BR>Christmas pudding! (okay, a bit heavy)<BR>A tea towel, pot holders, etc. with something British on it. (or from the Harrod's logo line)<BR><BR>

virginia Dec 23rd, 2002 04:46 PM

If your friend has easy access to London, perhaps she might shop for you in the gift shop of one of London's great museums. <BR><BR>The National Gallery has wonderful art reproductions, the Victoria and Albert has terrific jewelry and home decor; the British Museum has fantastic stuff too.<BR><BR>An umbrella with the Harrod's logo would bring a smile to my face on any rainy day. If you like cheerful prints, Liberty of London is the place to go and offers umbrellas in some of their classic designs as well as great scarves.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit with your friend.

Andy Dec 23rd, 2002 07:16 PM

Renee- I second the Liberty of London scarf!!<BR><BR>and the Harrod's Umbrella<BR><BR>and CADBURY CHocolate Bars with MOCHA-you cannot get them in the US

D. Phinney Dec 23rd, 2002 08:22 PM

At the airport Harrods (very convenient) they sell tea and coffee in very nice looking, reusable ceramic jars. The jars are sturdy, look great and have a nice sealing mechanism. We have several and still use them to store tea/coffee years after we used up the original contents.

Erin Dec 24th, 2002 04:44 AM

How about some bath products from Lush?

carolyn Dec 27th, 2002 04:25 PM

She can find nice prints at the museums if she knows what type of pictures that you like.

Melanie Dec 27th, 2002 11:09 PM

England produces very nice ceramics and china such as Portmerion, Aynsley and Spode.

Howitzer Dec 28th, 2002 12:22 AM

Id ask her to bring some freezed dried fish and chips....english language tapes (so you can learn the queen's english) and if you smoke..those cute little cigarette packs that my friends keep telling me, why didnt I bring back more of?

Renee Dec 28th, 2002 07:08 AM

Wow, you guys have given me lots of food for thought! Thanks for all of the tips!