Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for touring the French and Spanish Pyrenees.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all:

I will be in Biarritz in July and would like to take the opportunity to drive through the Pyrenees on both sides. Can you suggest a good base for exploring by car, a charming hotel (120-150 Euros) and "must sees" in the area?

I will have about three days, want to stay close to the border and want to limit my trip to west of Carcasconne and South of Toulouse. I am looking for stunning scenery and charming towns.

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

Regards Ger
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:30 AM

We stayed at a Gite in Sare (in the mountains above Biarritz - approx 15 km) - it was on a few acres of land with marvellous views of the Pyrenees and the most delightful hostess. Rooms were large (with full bathrooms) and breakfast was served on the patio overlooking the mountains.

Olabidea
64310 SARE
Tel: 59.54.21.85
Owner: Jean Fagoaga

The Gites Guide we use (there are several classifications) is called
"Chambres d'Hotes et Gites Prestige"

In Sare the restaurant "Arraya" (right across from the Jai Lai court) was wonderful - they specialize in Basque cuisine. (I think it's owned by the same people as the gite)

At the suggestion of the maitre'd at Arraya (the basque people are incredibly friendly and helpful) we left Sare and went to Honderribia (just across the Spanish border on the way to San Sebastian) and stayed at the parador there (Parador de Hondarribia http://www.parador.es/english/parado...?selparador=33
Not sure how it fits into your budget, though. The town of Honderribia is beautiful and close enough to San Sebastian for easy day trips (approx 1/2 hour drive).
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:35 AM

Oh Goody! Another fabulous trip report by OReilly in another few months! Your last one inspired us to change our itinerary to include Caceres! Good luck with your planning and with your trip!

Where do you live that you are able to make frequent brief trips to Spain?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Elizabeth. Sare is on my list of places to visit during the week I am in the Biarritz area. I will definately visit Honderribia.

Mary_Fran: I am so glad you decided to visit Caceres. I live in Canada, but travel to Europe on business every month BTW, I have posted a partial trip report on the Dordogne; I was there in April.

regards Ger
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ger, I couldn't find this morning's thread. Could you top it for me?