Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for safe car travel in Croatia / Montenegro

Jan 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

I am working on an itinerary for a ~10 days car drive in Adriatics. As a driver, I would like to enjoy my vacation, too, so I am trying to avoid very narrow serpentine roads as much as it is possible. Is it a realistic goal - to have a scenic drive in that part of the world but stay on decent roads ? If yes - what itinerary would you suggest ?
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I don't think so--the most scenic roads are curvy and on cliffs. If that worries you, enjoy the ride in a bus--you can still rent a car to explore within a limited area, such as on an island.
Give some more details about where you are going to enter and depart the country from.
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:46 AM

I should also add that you can get good road info from viamichelin--zoom in on the roads with google maps to get a better idea.
Jan 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM

I drove from Split to Dubrovnik and it was surprisingly "unscary". If you've ever driven US1, you'll be fine. If you are going too slow the drivers will pass you. You can also take the new highway. Good road, great tunnels, lousy scenery.
Jan 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. viamichelin.com does not seem to support Croatia. "Danger" is in the eye of the beholder, of course; if a road has enough width to accomodate 2 standard European lanes even on its sharpest turns, and has some kind of continuous fence on the valley side, I would call it totally safe. I checked out some videos of Jadranska Magistrala, and it seems safe enough, at least in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3VktNq4tA
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Definitely in the eye of the beholder, ha ha! On the ride from Dbv to Korcula, there were places with no rail and yugos at the bottom of the mountain. On the road from Split to Plitvice, I could not even look down. I always found the width fine, so just pass with confidence and keep your speed close to the natives'.

Viamichelin works for me, so keep playing around with it. I entered Dubrovnik into the town slot and selected Croatia and got a map.
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM

yorkshire - from Split to Plitvice you are going east - not on the coast so I'm not quite sure where you "could not even look down". On the road from DVB to Korcula we hit so much traffic that I was unaware of any scary spots - we only went about two miles per hour for almost 6 hours! But they were doing major construction that is now finished so that should not happen often, except in the summer. Now driving through the tunnels around Rovign at around 80 mph (120 - 140 kph) with construction in one lane and people passing in the oncoming traffic lane in the dark - that was SCARY!!

Igorek - viamichellin works for me in Croatia. The coast road isn't really that bad. The cars are small and really fun to drive. I hope you can drive a stick - when we were there, that's all that was available. It was tons of fun and so beautiful.
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Split-Plitvice--still through mountains. Just mentioned to point out the differing tolerance for driving on curvy mt roads with no shoulder and varying amounts of rail.
Good point about the stick.

I admit I am not much for driving, but I would prefer to look out the window at the scenic bits and hide my eyes when I can't take it.
If OP is just driving from Dbv to Split, I see no cause for concern.