Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for restaurant near Wenceslas Square?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Prague and have about 45-60 minutes to eat before starting a tour at Wenceslas Square. I would like to eat near the square. Beer is not important in making a choice. A moderate cost would be nice. My husand and I enjoy local fare. He is gluten intolerant. I would love some suggestions for a place to eat after a long train ride and before th tour.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:53 PM

there is a nice fun place call Vytopna near the top of the Square,it is based round a model railway and trau=ins deliver the drinks to your table, price is very reasonable for the area. Sorry don't know if they do much Gluten free stuff.
http://praha-en.vytopna.cz/659/
The Square is pretty big takes several minutes to walk the lenth of it,it really is not a square as such just a big wide street.
As to Gluten free , there is a resturant I have been in several times that has an extensive Gluten free menu.
http://www.svejk-restaurant.cz/en/
It is in Kremencova, the same street as the famous U Fleku bar.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 11:04 PM

Just realsied you are cominhg in from the train station, there are a few places on Opletalova which is the main road directly outside the Train station,through the mall park area.
On Place is called Ferdinanda which I quite liked again I just don't know about gluten free stuff in there.
In the train station is a chain resturant called Potrefená Husa,I have been in some of their other resturants and the food is fairly cheap,pretty good and service quick, they may do some Gluten free stuff in there.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, unclegus. We can usually figure out the gluten free, just have an entree and veggies or salad or take the bread off a sandwich. It's the locations of restaurants that really help.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:39 PM

<< take the bread off a sandwich >>

Why don't you order the sandwich w/o the bread?

I would eat at W square so you're on time for the tour.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:36 PM

the paves I have suggested are eithr in the train station ,between the train station and Wenseslas Square or on Wenslslas Square, should take about 5 minutes (or less) to walk to the top of the Square.Don't know where you are meeting the tour but most tours meet at Wenseslas Statue at the top of the square.
There use to be loads of take away booths/sausage stands on the square but they have all been removed in the last month or so,supposedly to make way for a refurbishment of the area.There is if you are desperate both a McDonalds and a KFC at the top end of the Square either side of the statue.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Someone else might want to eat the bread We will definitely try to avoid McD and KFC. Thanks for the tips about timing. Any estimate on time to deboard train? Then time to get to W Square? How much time we need t
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

How much time we need to be at the train station before the train departs?
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 10:52 PM

15 minutes should be more than plenty time as long as you have tickets,the Station is pretty big and if having to use a further away platform may take a few minutes to walk to it., The station in very nice now, use to be a real dump but over the last few years it has been totally transformed, more like a shopping mall these days.
there is still work going on ,they have just begun refurbishing / restoring the original entrance /ticket area, will be fantastic when it is finished.