Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ideas for "Paris" guestroom (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ideas-for-paris-guestroom-441036/)

Vicky Jun 10th, 2004 04:39 AM

Ideas for "Paris" guestroom

I have been to Paris 3 times and will be going in Nov. Have a fair amount of Parisian souvenirs. I want to do a Parisian guest room and powder room. Any creative ideas? The bed is black wrought iron canopy, and I bought a peach organdy/satin comforter set with tucks and 3 dimensional rosettes (I like frills). What would you suggest I buy in Paris for these rooms?

SuzieC Jun 10th, 2004 04:49 AM

an old patterned (paisley) shaw to drap over a chaise.
Got money? A real dressing table.
Collect menus, wine labels, and placards from business and decoupage the powder room's walls...

parisonmymind Jun 10th, 2004 04:55 AM

Someone after my own heart. Our family room is Paris-inspired, though we are experiencing Paris-creap into other parts of the house.

In our old house, we redid the powder room and brought back a cute corner sink (and faucet) from BHV. Not a practicalthing to do, but fun. What about buying towels or guest towels in Paris? Or fabric for curtains or valences?

What about bringing back toiletries for your guests to use? I especially love the toothpaste in a tooth shaped containers.

You could buy prints here or there of Parisian scenes. We enjoy Michel Delacroix and L. Kondakova and have a few of their prints. Maybe enlarge some of the photos you take that bring back memories.

You might get creative and make a collage (maps, pictures, metro tickets, etc) on top of your nightstand and cover it with glass.

We go back regularly and always find new things to bring back to remind us of Paris until our next visit.

Have fun!

Vicky Jun 10th, 2004 05:07 AM

I am very artistic and very good at design. At Steinmart I found bathtowels with embroidered Paris scenes - 4 different patterns. Exactly what I wanted. I just want to get Paris lovers' different perspectives. I have thought of the dressing table and chaise idea - but the table would have to match the wrought iron bed.

mclaurie Jun 10th, 2004 05:22 AM

I was with you until the peach organdy comforter set. I suggest you actually buy the bed coverings in Paris. Toile fabric or Provencal Indienne would be more appropriate. Why not go to one of the antique markets while you're there and look for some accessories. I love the idea of getting the sink and/or taps in Paris. One thought is to collect (offer to pay...do not just take) the small ashtrays that you see on cafe tables and use them for soap dishes, or even group them together and hang on the wall.

Do you know the Ballard catalogue? Many of their things are Paris/French inspired.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/bd/home.jsp

Byrd Jun 10th, 2004 05:39 AM

We bought some old engravings of Paris scenes at one of the stalls along the Seine.

They were inexpensive, but having them framed was not!

Byrd
Byrd

Vicky Jun 10th, 2004 05:40 AM

Thanks for the catalogue website. They have some interesting pieces!

SuzieC Jun 10th, 2004 05:56 AM

have to match? Huh? ooooh, it has to match!

Vicky Jun 10th, 2004 05:58 AM

PS Think whimsical. Not tacky or kitschy, but that you would smile and remember being in Paris when you walk in. I'm not talking about how someone living in Paris would decorate a room - they live there so they don't need the 'reminder' of Paris.

gracieb Jun 10th, 2004 06:01 AM

Kohl's and Stein-Mart has quite a few Parisien type things. I bought a few to get me in the mood. I shopped the brocante market in Cannes to find something special to use as serving pieces for Thanksgiving and holidays to come.
I bought three tiny water colors to frame together with Parisien scenes (that will join similar from Ecuador and Costa Rica).
Whatever "speaks" to you...

Scarlett Jun 10th, 2004 06:19 AM

Lots of toile, for the pillows and windows.
Anything handpainted, antiqued looking, a mirror, box, picture frame.
Buy some small, not too cheesy Eiffel Tower (friends gave us one that is black wrought iron with a small clock in it:)
Fleur de lys in any form, gold trim on anything, and do not miss the people selling posters along the Seine (bookinistes) and get a great colorful vintage poster (in French!)
Have fun ((F))

ggnga Jun 10th, 2004 08:29 AM

A quilt. French prints or the all one color with the quilting providing the design. I have one on the end of my guest bed and it makes the room. Also got two beautiful old monogramed pillowcases (large european square) with lace trim (not expensive 25 euros for two). Bought these and several vintage posters at the Marche Puces. The quilt is more the "throw" size so was easy to bring back in a large folding nylon tote I always carry for purchases. I like the quilted occasional pillow covers too. I also bought guest towels from SteinMart with
Paris theme. Mixed these with small things bought in Paris/Provence and I just love it. We bought a new house in Sept. and it is decorated with a country french look. I was lucky to have collected vintage french enamelware some years ago before the prices went up so much. I have it in an antique cubbard in the breakfast area and have real antique french rush seat chairs mixed with a replica farm tabel. A few vintage roosters, french cannister set, and quilted provence print placemats finish it off. My friend gave me a set of Eiffel tower salt and pepper shakers for Christmas.

ggnga Jun 10th, 2004 08:42 AM

sorry, I hit the post button by mistake. My friend wasn't sure if the salt shakers were a little over the top but I loved them. As you can tell, you hit upon one of my favorite subjects.

Enjoy making your "Paris" guestroom as frilly as you like. I think the black iron bed is perfect. I also buy two or three French decorating magazines each trip and look at them over and over. They are nice to have on the the bedside table in your Paris room for your guests too. Oh, don't forget to furnish your guest room with french soaps, bath salts, etc. I have gotten most of mine in France but have found some nice ones at Marshall's in the past and L'Occitane is on line and at some malls.

m_kingdom2 Jun 10th, 2004 08:55 AM

A Parisian room is not one that contains tacky souvenirs featuring scenes of Paris or Eiffel tower shaped objet d'art.

A Parisian room is one that is grand, overly fussy, and lots of gold. Or if you want something more contemporary lots of white cool marble, again with yellow gold accents.

travelbunny Jun 10th, 2004 09:44 AM

..antique prints..etchings or engravings..just buy them at a reputable shop

aj Jun 10th, 2004 10:06 AM

I always try to buy ribbon on my trips to Paris I love to make pillows for my "Paris room" when I get home. I am running out of space in the window seat!

BlueSwimmer Jun 10th, 2004 10:35 AM

I've bought old Ricard, Pernod, etc bottles at the flea market near the Bastille (can't remember the name). These are the kinds some cafes use for the water when you order a carafe d'eau. I use them as vases, clustered on the vanity, each with just a small spray of fresh flowers.

Also, what about going lace-shopping there, and having some French-style curtains for the room?

elle Jun 10th, 2004 11:22 AM

Here are a few more catalogues you could pore over to get some ideas (sorry I don't have URLs, but they shouldn't be too difficult to google):

Rue de France
French Country Living
Pierre Deux

I also have a book called "Paris Interiors" that shows the wide range of styles that can truly be found in homes in Paris. You can probably buy it through Amazon or at your local bookstore.

It does sound to me like you're going for a light-hearted "souvenier"-type of room, enhanced with some authentic Parisian flavor, rather than a strict interpretation of a room one might find in Paris, so have fun with it!

A few years ago, Schumacher made a cork wallcovering based on an historic map of the city of Paris. If it can still be purchased, I'd love to buy it someday for the guest room that we call our "Medieval Room" (it has exposed beams and rough plaster walls).

elle Jun 10th, 2004 11:26 AM

For a nice selection of original French posters, limited edition prints, and advertising art, visit Galerie Documents on rue de Seine.

elle Jun 10th, 2004 11:30 AM

Also, you might check out the web site for the Hotel de Banville, which features many photos of its rooms. I believe there are several with a black wrought iron canopy; they might give you some ideas.