Ideas for overnight trips from Orvieto, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD is in Orvieto doing a college study abroad program. They have very limited internet service, so she has called me for ideas for their "free getaway weekends." So, I told her I would turn to Fodorites for ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Hi Kate - The possibilities are endless. Pick any from...

Rome
Florence
Assisi
Siena/ San Gimignano
Cortona
Pitigliano
Perugia
Arezzo
Spoleto
Todi
Pisa/ Lucca
Viterbo
Lake Bolsena
Venice
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast
Capri
Naples
Bologna
Chiantishire

... to name a few

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM

And she could hop the Rome-Paris night train and spend the weekend in Paris and return via the night train, which i think does also stop in Orvieto
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Your daughter probably doesn't have a car so it's best if she chooses places that are easily accessible by train or bus. If her weekends are 2 days the best bet is Rome or Florence. Lots to see in these cities and easy access. Some of the smaller towns don't have enough to interest young people.

Another consideration is the cost of lodging. Places with inexpensive hotels or hostels would be more in her budget.

Can you tell us what her interests are. That would help to narrow down the choices. I find that students often have very different ideas about what's fun/interesting than folks their parents age. I recently recommended a church in Florence to my niece (while she was doing a study abroad program) and she reported that she found it very boring. Although she liked other sites I recommended.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Although the students will be based in Orvieto, they will also visit Pompeii, Naples, Siena, Pisa, Assini,
Florence, & Rome ( as a group) and will actually overnight in Pompeii on one of their trips. They are studying Art History and Drawing so you can imagine all the historical sites they will visit while on field trips. So, to answer your question about her interests; I think what they will probably be looking for is shopping, relaxing, fun cafes, beautiful sights, etc. rather than more "touring". However, with the Euro like it is, I doubt they will be able to buy much... Oh, and BTW they are not allowed to travel outside of Italy. (probably a good thing)
*They have 3 weekends away.

She mentioned the Capri area??? I also think they would love the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento. But, is this feasible in 2 days from Orvieto. Ha ha Adrienne... I hear ya on the "what the parents like" vs. the college kid!!!
Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM

If they are already doing an overnight trip to Pompeii they could continue from there to the Amalfi Coast or Capri.

Certainly viable for a weekend. They'd need to leave Orvieto early (- e.g 06.06 train via Rome) to make the most of it.

Steve

Old May 28th, 2008, 02:39 AM

I would definitely recommend Venice as one of the weekend trips. It's a place where you can buy some inexpensive trinkets such as glass candies from sidewalk vendors or beads on Murano. At least I hope these things are still relatively inexpensive. There are many vendors near the Rialto bridge and lots of bead shops on Murano where you can buy individual beads and make your own jewelry.

They can hop on the vaporetti and take in the palazzi on the grand canal, many of which you can only see properly from the water.

Just wandering around Venice is fun looking at the beautiful buildings.

For sightseeing, the doges palace and basilica are a must. I'd also recommend Ca' Rezzonico museum with its wonderful Tiepolo frescoes.

Venice is expensive but it would be a shame to be in Italy and miss it. It's a unique experience.
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

I agree, Venice is definitely a must, but she is going to wait until "momma" arrives so we can experience it together. Good idea Steve, but when they are in Pompeii they will be with group and then head back to Orvieto, stopping in Rome.On their free weekends, they are required to depart from Orvieto, home base. Hope that makes sense.
Any suggestions as to where to stay in Capri or Amalfi Coast? they are not looking for too cheap, just moderate to high price places. Thank you.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Kate - This hotel in Praiano (- near Positano) has had many good reviews here:

http://www.lesirene.com/

If you put 'Positano hotels' in the search box you'll get lots of recommendations.

You can find links and a price-guide for Positano here:
http://tinyurl.com/4w5vc4

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Steve that most definitely will be a good resource. Thank you. You've been so kind to answer some of my other posts and I've read from others you are the ONE to ask!!! I'm curious, do you live in Italy?
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:50 AM

I used to, Kate - but not any more. I spent 10 years in Rome, but now I'm back in England ...

Steve