Absolute Walking Tours in Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience taking a walking tour with this company? Specifically the Jewish History tour; or any others you might recommend? We are visiting Budapest in 2 weeks. Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM

We have done both the Free Budapest general tour and their tour of the Jewish Quarter and enjoyed them both. We were lucky in that we did the tour of the Synagog before the walking tour. There's a small cost but it enhanced the general tour. It goes inside the Synagog and gives you more history of it, while the walking tour walks around the grounds but doesn't go inside. One bonus of the walking tour of the Jewish quarter is that they take a break at one of the Ruin Pubs where you can sit and enjoy a drink.

Pjk
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Did you do the Synagogue tour separately on your own before the walking tour? Or do you mean you did the Jewish Quarter tour before the general walking tour?
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 06:04 AM

That wasn't real clear, was it? We did the short tour of the Synagog first. It lasts about 30 minnutes and includes entrance to the building and a short talk about its history. There is a small charge. Then we did the Free Budapest walking tour of the Jewish Quarter. This included walking around the grounds inside the wall of the Synagog but not inside the building.

Pjk
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Peter, do the free Budapest tours end at Instant pub?... (that is where I have run into the free tour people - but that might have been the communist tour). If so, I would go (on my own) to the mother of all ruin pubs Szimpla Kert (which is close to the Synagogue).

Also, remember, there are 3 synagogues quite close together. You may want to see each of them, as they are all quite different. One is still in complete disrepair following WW2 (and that one, Rumbach, is my favorite).

Lastly, the Jewish quarter is very interesting - I love it. But do not forget the Holocaust museum (which is fantastic)...and near by there is a ruin put mostly visited by locals which serves Hungarian micro brews.

In the Jewish quarter, I would certainly have lunch at Kadar (on Klauzai ter)... Enjoy.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 06:14 AM

I'd add the House of Terror. Creepy.

Yes, our tour of the Jewish Quarter ended at that ruin pub. And we never went to one of these at night but we did go late in the afternoon to the Szimpla Kert and many craft vendors were there selling soaps, preserves, leather goods, all sorts of things. And the bar was open so we bouoght a beer apiece and hung out for a while.

Pjk
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 06:30 AM

We took 2 walking tours with this company and both were absolutely wonderful. We took the general walking tour one day and another day we took the Hammer and Sickle Communist Tour. The communist tour was one of the highlights of our visit to Budapest. We didn't take the Jewish heritage tour but we did visit the Dohany Synagogue and went on a tour with the guide that they had there.