Ideas for high school students in Italy

Feb 21st, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Ideas for high school students in Italy

I am taking a group of students to London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Padua, Siena, and Rome. If anyone has any useful tips for Venice, Florence, Padua, and Siena as far as special things to notice or reasonable places to eat I would appreciate it. I have been to all the cities except Venice and Padua. Thanks!
Feb 21st, 2004, 11:42 AM
rex

In similar trip with 9 kids, 14 to 22, in 1998, seemed to me that the kid liked generally the same stuff as the adults - - though we had at least one day at the beach (in the south of France), which was a helpful break, and our Italy time ws largely centered around a week in a villa, so there was the pool, fixing meals and even a certain amount of "chores" to break up the element of all cathedrals/castles/museums all the time.

Is is practical to get them involved in reading and making their preferences known? (in my case it was; and we had enough of the oldr self-reliant kids to allow splitting off from the pack - - though never SOLO - - in threes, for example).

Best wihes,

Rex
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:30 PM

In Padua, don't miss the Scrovegni Chapel with its wonderful frescos by Giotto. Reservations necessary. The students may also be interested in seeing one of Europe's oldest universities, the University of Padua. In one of its buildings, the Palazzo Bo, you will also find the old "operating theater" used for human dissections at the medical school.
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:46 PM
ira

Hi LE,

These links might help you,

Ira?s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340

Trenitalia Tickets Online
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34465647

Feb 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

We are going with a tour group. I am just looking for extra options to give them on the free half days or for lunch.
Feb 21st, 2004, 05:59 PM
cmt

If you describe just what you will be doing in each place on the tour, it will be easier and more efficient for people to figure out what might be an "extra" activities or destinations not included on the tour.
Feb 21st, 2004, 06:26 PM

If you are with a tour group your lunch options are usually limited to the area they have stopped in for the day/afternoon. I've done similar trips and most kids like to shop on free time or find an internet cafe and check in with friends and family back home. Do you mind telling what company you are using? I am familiar with several and may be more help if I knew which one you are using.