Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for family trip (teenage girls) to Spain and Morocco

Dec 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites, can you suggest an itinerary for my family in June that takes in cool place(s) in Spain and Morocco in about 2 weeks? We are thinking "relaxing adventure" and on the budget side, no night clubs or fancy hotels needed, big cities out, towns/villages in, local food, somewhat off the beaten path but not rustic, markets for affordable craft/jewlery collecting . . . how picky is that? I think Spain to Morocco and back to a Spanish Island in the Med (bust the budget) would be ther right flow.

What comes to mind?

Many thanks!
Dec 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM

only time for one very quick comment -- others will chime in w/ more. But - Morocco would not be my choice in June. It will be VERY hot.
Dec 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Morocco won't be that bad in June, and it might actually be just fine.

I'm not much of a fan of Spain, so I'll offer some tips on Morocco:

1. Don't bother with Tangiers, and don't even bother with Casablanca except maybe for an overnight to acclimate yourself to the exoticism of the place in a big city where there will be people who speak English (if you're a French speaker, you'll do fine anywhere in the country except in remote Berber villages).

2. Assuming you'll divide the 2 weeks up evenly and spend a week in Morocco, head first to Marrakech and spend 4-5 nights there. Not sure what "budget" means to you, but you can be fairly well pampered at La Maison Arabe for a moderate price (and they have a delightful cooking school). Let them connect you with a driver (might be $50 or so for a full day) and let the driver take you into the mountains one day and to Agadir and Essouira another. Spend the rest of the time visiting the sights in Marrakech.

Spend the last 2 or so days in Fez.

Oh and not sure what "rustic" means to you, but IME much of Morocco is beyond rustic, except for the new parts of the big cities.
Dec 13th, 2009, 03:21 PM

If going to Morocco, do 3 days for Marrakech (I do not specify nights since you might also consider day trips out of the city), 3 days in Meknès with an excursion to Volubilis and Moulay Idriss, and three days in Fez with an excursion to a smaller town. We took the train from Marrakech to Meknès and then to Fez, and returned to Marrakech by long distance bus.

These pictures might give you some ideas:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573985203JLxJZM
Dec 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for quick response! Can you recommend a place stay in Marrakech and Fez? (Brilliant photos, Michael.) And how long was the bus from Fez-Marrakech? Thanks.
Dec 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM

The bus ride took all day, about 7 or 8 hours, with stops in towns in between. It was a first class bus, similar to first class buses in Mexico, perhaps a little less roomy and without the movie. It was too long ago for me to recommend any hotels.

The Azrou market is something to be seen, but it takes 2 hours from Fez to get there by local bus leaving around 6 a.m.

A possibly better site to view the pictures, especially full screen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...70770847/show/
Dec 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Why do you want off the beaten path, if you do not what lies on the beaten path?

Put the Rastro in Madrid on your list. It is huge outdoor market where they sell absolute junk to some nice hand crafted jewelry.

Also add Casa Hernanz in Madrid where they sell hemp shoes and hemp products.
Dec 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I did recommend the Maison Arabe in Marrakech.

In Fez, I stay with friends so can't recommend a hotel.
Dec 14th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Here's what comes to mind for me: When daughter was younger (i.e., 13 Year old Blonde) the staring she got from Moroccan Arabs made me uncomfortable. It was from both males and females; I wouldn't want to expose her to something like that again. So, Morocco would not be my destination choice

If you want Spanish Islands, consider the Canaries, not the 'Med' for your Budget Buster. You can fly there from Spain at a reasonable price.
Dec 14th, 2009, 03:02 AM

I have not been to Morocco, but I have talked to others who brought their teenage girls there, and they also would not do that again. Think twice.

In Spain, not sure just how far off the beaten path you want, but a couple not-so-off are a follows:

Toledo: You can also get some amazing crafts that involve the pounding of gold and silver threads into steel to make beautiful items (it started with Damascus Swords, and includes beautiful jewelery, plates, buckles, etc)

Cordoba: The Great Mezquita of Cordoba was a mosque that was begun in the 600's, then was partially converted into a cathedral after 1492. It is amazing! The contrasts are remarkable. Highly recommend this.

Salamanaca: This is a university town with one of the oldest universities in Europe. Amazing place, and the girls will absolutely enjoy it.

Torremolinos: Along the Costa del Sol for some beach time. Okay, it will probably be crowded, but hey, it is June.

In order to make the trip as enjoyable as possible for the girls, have THEM do the research, and have them deside on some of the places you will go, and for the places you decide on (vs. them) have them research the places in those villages/cities that they would like to see.