Ideally located hotel in Rome for 2 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will have 2 nights in Rome at the end of our visit to Italy this Sept/Oct. The main sights we want to see include the Colosseum and the Vatican. From what I understand we'll have better choices in the Colosseum area. Anyone have any advice?
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM

Your choices are just as good in both areas, and the Colosseum area can be sketchy nearer the train station and points south.

Your main problem is that the Vatican and Colosseum are at polar opposite "ends" of Roma, but not so far apart you can't easily traverse the distance.

Why not split the difference and stay in the Piazza Navona/Piazza della Rotunda area, or stay in Trastevere? Tripadvisor will give you lots of good recommendations in all budgets. I can recommend Albergo del Senato in the high end, Pensione Barrett in the low-end. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM

We have stayed at the Lancelot which is very near the Colosseum - did not feel the area near it was sketchy but we were not impressed with available restaurants. I think the area near the Vatican is a bit out of the way for the rest of the city. Zeppole's idea of "splitting the difference" works for me - if you stay in a more central area it shouldnot be too difficult to hit the sights. You might want to start with a search on www.venere.com to see what is availble - you can sort by area. In the past, I would think some of the most desirable places would be booked up at this point, but this year, maybe not.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

Hotel Nazionale near Piazza Navona.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM

I have stayed at Capo d'Africa several times and it is a quiet location near the Colosseum.

Anywhere in the historic center is a good option. For a reasonable option but not full service, try Daphne Inn Veneto or the other Daphne location. Also the Nicholas Inn is a reasonable choice with good reviews.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM

B&B Baldassini is 5 min walk from the Pantheon. If you decide to book, use my discount code for 10 Euro off your final bill BBB791.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM

I agree that it's best to stay near Piazza Navona, right in the center. You can easily catch either the 46 or 64 bus to the Vatican and the 87 bus to the Colosseum. And you have dozens of restaurants nearby, plus in addition to the Piazza Navona (my favorite place!), you have the Pantheon and Campo de' Fiori very close. Also several other great churches right in the area.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM

I have stayed at the Hotel Alimandi 4 star and loved it. It is across the street from the Vatican museum entrance. In fact you can watch the line from the breakfast room, LOL.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM

Hotel Fontanella Borghese near the Spanish steps was perfect for us a few years ago. Have also heard good things about sister hotel, Due Torre. You might check them out on Trip Advisor.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I just received my booking confirmation at Albergo del Senato. It's certainly pricey but my husband told me not to skimp!