Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ideal places to spend Sundays and Mondays in Italy

Jan 9th, 2001, 03:47 PM
helen

We're arriving in Rome, Saturday, May 19 and plan to take a tain to Cinque Terre or Florence or Siena the following day (Sunday).
I gather from this forum that a lot of restaurants and tourist attractions are closed on Sundays and Mondays and since we'll be in Italy for 2 weeks, I'd like to avoid spending our 2 Sundays and 2 Mondays in "closed up" areas. That happened to us a few weeks ago in Spain where we found little to do and places to eat in Malaga, Mirabella, and Gibraltar. Any advice on places in Tuscany/ Umbria which are "open" on Sundays and Mondays would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 9th, 2001, 05:15 PM
sandi

I don't think you'll find that the entire city is closed up on either day..especially Rome. I think that the only time you'll notice closed shops is during lunchtime which runs from about 12p or so to 3 or 4pm...but the stores are usually open late.

Jan 9th, 2001, 07:36 PM
wendy

We did an incredible amount of shopping in Floence on Sunday-- especailly the outdoor markets.

Jan 13th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Carin

What about Easter Sunday? What to do ? I would expect everything to be closed - where would we eat?

Jan 14th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Georgine

Helen,

Nothing is closed in the Cinque Terre on Sunday (nor Monday).

We also arrived in the Cinque Terre on a Sunday and spent two nights in the area.
All the shops and restaurants were opened. (This was during the month of March--which is certainly a less touristed time of year than the month of May.) You have no reason for concern.
All the shopkeepers and restaurant owners will be open and ready to take your money.

Jan 15th, 2001, 10:10 AM
paulo

In Siena, some restaurants will be closed on Sunday, some other on Monday, but plenty of them should be open. A few sites are closed on Sunday after 1pm (Palazzo Pubblico and Pinacoteca Nazionale) and last time I was there the Santuario and Casa di Santa Caterina was also shut on Sunday. If you get there in the afternoon, though, there's still more you can handle in a half afternoon (Duomo, Battistero, Libreria Piccolomini and Museo dell'Opera Metropolitana) and all the sites that are closed may be visited on Monday morning.

I don't know how many nights you plan to spend in Florence. If only a couple, I would avoid getting there on a Sunday afternoon, once the main museums (Uffizi, Accademia, Palazzo Pitti, Cappelle Medicee) are closed on Monday.

Your best bet appears to be Rome-Siena-Florence-5 Terre!

The only drawback with this itinerary would be the train connection between Rome and Siena. This is awkward once the trip is quite long (from 3:08 to 3:50 hours depending on departure time - a change is called for in Chiusi or Grosseto) and the train arrives outside the city walls. A direct bus from Rome's Tiburtina station (3 hours) or the Eurostar to Florence and express SITA bus thereafter may be more effective.

Paulo