iDBUS Paris to London

May 7th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

iDBUS Paris to London

Looking on maps.google for a couple of places I want to visit next month, I accidentally asked it to tell me how to get from Rue de Turenne, Paris, to the Rising Sun pub on Cloth Fair, London. It leapt to the task, and suggested taking the iDBUS from Paris Bercy to London's Victoria Coach Station. Apparently this trip could be done tomorrow morning for 39,00 €, and would take eight hours between the two stations. Wifi to while away the time.

I hadn't heard of this SNCF bus line, and never thought a bus would be possible between those cities. May I reveal my ignorance and ask how it gets across the English Channel? Eurostar is certainly faster, but the available tickets for tomorrow are $210 at the cheapest.

Any of you ever traveled this way? It looks like a boon for student types certainly.
May 7th, 2015, 01:53 PM

SNCF is now running buses out of France to other countries I know and in France but now London - I presume the bus goes right on with cars on Le Shuttle - shuttle trains carrying vehicles under the Chunnel. Can't believe it takes the old ferry but for 8 hours who knows. There are other buses like Eurolines that have been running that route for ages - including overnight service to various parts o the Continent.
May 7th, 2015, 01:54 PM

Buses either take the Eurotunnel or go via ferry. I'm not sure how that particular bus does it.
May 7th, 2015, 01:56 PM

Depending on the service the coach either goes on the Eurotunnel train or on a ferry
http://uk.idbus.com/faq/16

Other companies operating between London and Paris include Eurolines and Megabus
May 7th, 2015, 01:56 PM

Was posting the sometime as dear PQ who is on the paint again.
May 7th, 2015, 02:02 PM

Here is an article about it from last August. Sounds like they take both Eurotunnel and ferry as janisj said. Also note that there are also other lines for future reference that leave from other stations:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...-to-Paris.html
May 7th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Ha, thanks all. It sounds like a good economical last minute alternative.

I figured the tunnel might have something to do with it. The bus drives up onto a train, then, as a car could do after border control? Bus driver sitting on left, presumably, then navigating central London traffic, bless him or her?

A ferry sounds fun. I got to ride Hovercraft once, and that was a thrill.
May 21st, 2015, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

My daughter and her friend have bought 17,50€ bus tickets from Victoria Coach Station to Amsterdam, 9 hour trip, for the first leg of their workaway.info gap low budget summer. I'll report back when they do.

Search this Thread